Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán will stay close to the front of the group, but will let Rhenmyr stay on point, as usual.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr walks about 40 or 50 feet ahead of the rest of the group and lopes off across the meadow with the others in tow.

The ground is marshy and your feet sink in about 6 inches to a foot with each step in the soft saturated soil of the marsh, which proves very slow going. After fifteen hard minutes of careful walking you reach the edge of the woods and discover that the ground continues to drop away. Another 100' of walking and you are now up to your thighs in foul smelling swamp water.
Grimgravy make a sense roll.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr feels the water around his legs move and a slight ripple disturb the surface of the water several feet to his right. A fish?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"I've got a bad feeling about this." Rhenmyr looks for any dry land in the immediate vicinity.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr struggles over to a Cypress growing out of a small hummock in the waist deep water. Something large bumps your leg. You glace down startled and see a white, scaly tail breach the water line about 2 feet thick and eel-like.

Pulling yourself out of the water on to the hummock will require a climbing roll or a jump roll.

nikolokolus

Arcane
With Rhenmyr about 50' in front of the group and in the open, you make a break for the hummock where Rhenmyr is failing to pull himself out of the muck. Amon and Urash are able to free their boots from the thick mud underfoot and haul themselves onto the turf covered mound surrounding the giant cypress. Marcán and Rhenmyr are not so lucky (Rolls for Borric and Mab to come ERYFKRAD and Wayward Son). Rhenmyr stands his ground with spear drawn and peers into the deep gloom laying on the murky water. After about 10 seconds you see a very large eel-like, scaly, albino form breech the surface. The amount of time it takes to slide back under the surface of the water makes you think it's quite large.

nikolokolus

Arcane
As people wait and watch the thing in the water suddenly breeches the surface about forty feet away, its dark, blunt head about 3' long, with a gaping maw full of needle sharp teeth, sways back and forth as it regards you coolly. After four or five seconds it plunges back under the water. (Borric and Mab still have a chance to climb up on to the hummock, and Rhenmyr and Marcán can make a second attempt.)

QvxORJZ.jpg

nikolokolus

Arcane
I just wanted to mention, that I still run an online game via virtual tabletop (Roll20 -- Grimgravy and Llywelyn ap Gruffydd play in it). We're transitioning to DCC RPG while Llywelyn ap Gruffydd is unavailable for a few months, so there's an opening if anybody is interested in playing about twice a month (usually on Saturdays around 1700 PST). The style of play is very loose and easy-going. Most sessions will be episodic, so drop-in, drop-out play is accessible. All you need is a microphone and a pair of headphones, and no prior experience with DCC required (I can share a pdf copy of the rules if you need it). Depending on how things go we'll probably stick with DCC for at least the next 6 months or so, but at some point we might go back to our long-running Magic World campaign, or try Renaissance (another d100/BRP game). So, no long-term commitment if you don't want it, and no pressure if you can't make it on a given session. Send me a PM if you're interested and we can talk about it.

nikolokolus

Arcane
[1d100] = 5
I think that climb roll succeeded, can I grab Rhenmyr and help him out?
Your Climb skill is 80, so a 5 is actually a special success. Because of that I'm saying that you can lift him (or one other person) out of the mud, with a successful Effort roll.
Borric practially leaps out of the water and reaches to lift Rhenmyr along with himself, and . . . (roll your Effort roll STRx5=90%)

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
In two sessions I've become a real fan of DCC. The funnel was brutal and hilarious. Session 2 featured a novice magic user going fire crazy. Damn, can magic be powerful! That wasn't DnD's flaming hands!

Any chance to stab the eel before Borric hauls me out or I can try getting out again myself?

nikolokolus

Arcane
In two sessions I've become a real fan of DCC. The funnel was brutal and hilarious. Session 2 featured a novice magic user going fire crazy. Damn, can magic be powerful! That wasn't DnD's flaming hands!

Any chance to stab the eel before Borric hauls me out or I can try getting out again myself?
You can do one or the other. At this point, Borric is basically pulling you out of the muck and will have free in a round. If you want to get out a bit earlier on this round, it would be a climb roll with 16 added to your climb roll

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom