Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

nikolokolus

Arcane
The man doesn't immediately respond to Marcán's friendly gesture. He's stands impassively, with his whip coiled at his feet. After several very long seconds he takes three or four odd, hopping, loping steps forward and coils the whip into several tight loops before tucking it into his belt. His other hand rests meaningfully on the end of a large shillelagh that is leaning against one of his legs. He stands stock still apparently waiting for one of you make a move or do something.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Perhaps we should just leave the ram-man alone. He doesn't seem too keen on visitors." Marcán comments, maintaining eye contact with the strange man.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"We have come this far. We may as well try to be conversant." Rhenmyr says sizing up the fellow before them and thinking: Is that a helmet? Which way do his knees bend?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Does Urash know of anything that would remotely resemble the horned denizen, or the ape-ish creatures?

Is World Lore applicable? Here's a roll, just in case it is: [1d100] = 26 vs 104.
Since what you are seeing isn't necessarily part of your world, I'm going to say you'd need a Special or Critical Success to know anything more than vagaries. But with a 'Normal' you do recall something
Urash can't help but recall a snippet of a poem from a book he read once in the library of Kor, that puts him in mind of the man in front of him.

When the flowery hands of spring
Forth their woodland riches fling,
Through the meadows, through the valleys
Goes the satyr carolling.

From the mountain and the moor,
Forest green and ocean shore
All the faerie kin he rallies
Making music evermore.

See! the shaggy pelt doth grow
On his twisted shanks below,
And his dreadful feet are cloven
Though his brow be white as snow—

Though his brow be clear and white
And beneath it fancies bright,
Wisdom and high thoughts are woven
And the musics of delight,

Though his temples too be fair
Yet two horns are growing there
Bursting forth to part asunder
All the riches of his hair.

Faerie maidens he may meet
Fly the horns and cloven feet,
But, his sad brown eyes with wonder
Seeing-stay from their retreat.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
[1d100] = 29

Borric attempts to judge the ram-headed-one's effectiveness at combat, based on what he has seen of his movements and appearance thus far. Perhaps some inherent weakness would present itself, in case it came to blows.

not sure if Insight, idea, perception or int roll, so I haven't fixed a target number

L'ennui

Magister
Recalling a bit of poetry, Urash steps forward and bows slightly.

"Hail, stranger. We come in peace. Do you understand this language? We come to your land in search of a maiden named Una. She was taken by a vile sorcerer and his green fey underlings. Do you have any idea where we may find them?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
[1d100] = 29

Borric attempts to judge the ram-headed-one's effectiveness at combat, based on what he has seen of his movements and appearance thus far. Perhaps some inherent weakness would present itself, in case it came to blows.

not sure if Insight, idea, perception or int roll, so I haven't fixed a target number
Well you haven't really seen this fellow's capability in a melee, but based on your "Sense" roll (skill level 57) you are able to tell that this creature is agile, probably very strong and based on its handling of the whip it was using earlier, it probably has a considerable amount of skill with it at least.

Urash hails the man . . . and . . . oh damn?! That's probably not a "man" after all?

Before you have much chance to react, the thing takes about ten great loping hops across mossy ground and leaps high in the air before crashing down into the turf on large, woolly cloven hoofs about 20 feet from you. You see now that what you perceived as a horned helm is in fact the creature's oddly hircine head. Its torso is thickly muscled and covered in a badly dented bronze breastplate with a dull, green patina, and its shaggy goatlike legs are flecked with mud and filth. It's breath steams in the chilly air and its stench is palpable and nauseating even at this distance.
mLWS8D4.jpg
In a guttural, bleating voice it bellows at you in strangely accented Keltic, "Farthingy does not know what man-thing asks. Where does man-thing come from? Dreg, Lankshorn, High-hankle? Make trade, or leave before Farthingy tell Malbleat, man-things not in proper place." Its hourglass pupils glare at you devoid of sympathy, or feeling. It rests its hand on the handle of its large shillelagh, tucked through a belt and seems to settle its gaze on Solon, "Good fat man-thing. Make good meat. Farthingy will trade."

"I would not be so quick to trade anything for this man. He carries a taint from his communications and contact with beings from the hells. It would be best to leave him alone, lest you acquire the same attributes."

Fast talk attempt. I accidently clicked back and now can't find the link the to roll. Roll was 60 vs 41 skill, so I failed. Oops

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"He is indeed a plump one. Doesn't move around much. Meat will be tender. Lots of it too. Won't be cheap! What do you have to trade?"

Rhenmyr steps to the side looking towards the cottage for potential trade goods while setting up to flank the beast if needed.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Farthingy's nostrils flare and he sniffs the air, before speaking to Amon, "Man-thing smells of fear. Man thing hiding something? What is man-thing hiding?"

Rhenmyr distracts the goatman by drawing his attention back to Solon. Farthingy moves forward and pinches Solon's plump arm, who shrieks in pain and tries unsuccessfully to pull his arm away. Farthingy cuffs Solon to the ground, drrawing a thin trickle of blood from the corner of his mouth and nods approvingly, "Yes, good meat. Gnatha will like very much. Farthingy has many good things. Bring fat man-thing and come to hut. Farthingy show you."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Excellent! Lead the way." Rhenmyr helps Solon to his feet with a friendly smile and signals the others to be vigilant.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The goat man bounds across the dell leaving you behind in it's wake. You each follow after and grow increasingly nauseous the closer you get to the crude stone hut.

The hunched figures in the stone pen begin bleating and babbling in low tones at your approach.

Farthingy ducks into the hut and the sounds of crashing crockery and things falling reverberates through the walls. After a minute he exits the hut holding a bundle of odds and ends in his huge arms. He drops the jumble of things on the ground and seems to invite you to look at it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric looks at the items for any item that would cause a reverberating sound when struck with his maul, such as a huge bell or a gong.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Junk. All junk.

A handful of rusty iron nails, the hilt of a broken sword, a handful of opalescent oyster shells lacquered black, a sodden, rotted book with all of its ink run across its pages, a necklace with a dozen scalps of human hair (red, blonde, black, etc.), and lastly two small oval cusps about the size of the end of your thumb; they appear to have an iris and pupil painted on them.

Farthingy stands back with his meaty arms folded across his chest. "Farthingy trades many good things, yes? What does man-things want for fat one?"

L'ennui

Magister
"Listen, erh... Farthingy, is it? Although we recognise the great value of your offerings, at the moment we are especially concerned with information. As I said, we are looking for a Hyperborean Sorcerer with unseelie allies who have abducted a human woman. Would you have seen them passing through here? Would you know where we can find them? That information would be very valuable to us. Maybe we can trade for it."

nikolokolus

Arcane
The goat-headed man looks at the pile of junk on the ground and bleats back at Urash's query in an annoyed, whinging voice, "The Cold Prince keeps to his demense beyond the woods on the opposite shores of Loch Longmere." He sweeps his hand to the 'north' (if such things can be reckoned without a sun?) towards where the rolling thunder booms and heavy black clouds hang thick in the sky. Farthingy demurs and shrugs his shoulders, "Perhaps Farthingy has heard things, perhaps not. Farthingy requires more than fattened long-pork for such trades though. What will you give Farthingy in trade, hmmm?" He leans in towards Urash, his hot, fetid breath forming a heavy mist in the cool air as he blows out through his nostrils.

L'ennui Make a Charisma roll, and if successful, make a Bargain roll with +10% added to your skill, otherwise make your Bargain roll without modifiers

Farthingy's Opposed Bargain (65) vs [1d100] = 35 A normal success, if you roll a special or critical you sway him. If you roll a normal success and have the highest roll you also sway him to your terms. A lower roll, a failure or a fumble will put matters in his favor.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Farthingy grunts and mumbles something inaudible, "Hmmpf! Fine, we will take fat long-pork for news. Come inside."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Solon whimpers and mewls and throws himself on the ground in hysterics, "No-oooooooo! Don't do this! Ple-eeeeease!" Farthingy grabs him by the scruff of his neck and drags him behind into the dark recesses of the hut.

Urash tentatively walks into the dim, abode and takes in the scene as his eyes adjust to the darkness. Hanging from the ceiling from meathooks are two headless bodies -- skinned, gutted and curing in the chill, dank air. Two large wooden buckets full of congealed blood sit below the two bodies.

In the center of the room, on a dingy butcher's block, a giant rust-pitted cleaver is stuck point down in the heavily chipped wood top and two lifeless faces, with putrefying eyes and swollen tongues seem to stare at you with a frozen expression of terror. Although badly bloated and half-covered in flies you instantly recognize the faces of Rashid the Acadian, and Uvan the Pictish hunter. Your eyes adjust and more details resolve themselves: a pallet of straw in one corner of the hut, and great pile of junk in another. The junk pile is composed of a mix of things: belts, shoes, clothes, broken spears, sheathed swords, a couple of mangled bronze shields and a conical bronze helm with a heavy patina of green casually tossed on the top of the heap.

Farthingy rounds on Urash and points to the severed heads on his great butcher block, "Other man things come here before you. Duke Mallowheart trades them to me, but won't let Farthingy have fire-hair woman." He smacks his lips and his long tongue flicks across his yellow teeth, "Her meat smelled very sweet, and her fear stink would have made fine potions. More is pity for poor Farthingy that Mallowheart is so stingy."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Once more Borric tries to cast about for anything in his mind that can serve to give the crew an advantage in a fight.

[1d100] = 74

If we wanna jump this bugger, ler's get to it before he starts on Solon. Much as Solon's repulsive, I can't let the bugger be et by satyrs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom