Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Solon looks over his shoulder at Rhenmyr, rubs his wrists and scowls. He mumbles something under his breath (Make a difficult (half-skill) listen roll everybody) and pauses for several moments before weaving his arms in an intricate pattern and utters several short syllables of gibberish (Language roll Acadian, if anybody wants to try and suss it out).

Seconds later he stops muttering his spell and holds his arms stiff at his sides and bends down to look at the runic circle on the bridge and then lifts his eyes and peers into the fog and stares for over a minute. Finally he turns his ample girth around. Some of you are startled by his eyes that glow an eldritch yellow. "It's just as I predicted." Solon says with an air of self-satisfaction. "The way is open and . . ." He stops short and starts counting off on his fingers and mumbling to himself, "I believe the time dilation caused by Phobos' apogee gives us at least a fortnight -- insofar as time can be reckoned in the Lands Beyond the Fields We Know -- to hunt down Moledold, recover the phial and the Al-Hakim grimoire before the way will close behind us. Unfortunately for the good folk of Getae, the wards laid down by the Aes Sidhe in elder times are utterly devoid of their efficacy while the conjunction holds sway. Hopefully their ancient enemies don't sniff it out, but what a sight to behold if they do!" His expression is awestruck and wistful, but he recovers his composure after a few moments and shakes himself back to the present. "Lead on good sirs. My only recommendation is be careful of whatever viands or comestibles you encounter -- take nothing unless you must. Stories might just be stories, but you never know."

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Sorry stopped getting the notifications for the thread, may I roll to see if I learned any spells please?
Mab strains to listen to Solon's mumbling and then responds to Solon's recommendation and time statement: "Well Solon, not to offend-- oh hells, I don't give a damn about offending one such as yourself--I'll take your recommendations with a grain of salt.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Sorry stopped getting the notifications for the thread, may I roll to see if I learned any spells please?
Mab strains to listen to Solon's mumbling and then responds to Solon's recommendation and time statement: "Well Solon, not to offend-- oh hells, I don't give a damn about offending one such as yourself--I'll take your recommendations with a grain of salt.
Yop. Go ahead and make an INTx1 roll

Amon walks up beside Urash and speaks quietly to him. "We do not know exactly what we will face. The magic that Solon transcribed for us makes me wonder if he has a potential ally on the other side. Or a former ally turned enemy? We may be walking into a trap and should proceed cautiously."

nikolokolus

Arcane
With Borric's less than gentle shove, Solon lets out a high-pitched *squeak* of surprise and moves surprisingly nimbly for a fat old man. He picks up the hem of his robe and jogs on the tips of his toes for about 20 yards and starts to vanish into the thick fog enveloping the bridge.

One by one you each follow after him blindly into the thick fog. After a couple of minutes, you come to the opposite end of the bridge. Ten steps off of it, the fog bank completely dissipates revealing a strange sight. When you look behind you, the fog forms an undulating, amorphous "wall" about thirty feet tall, that stretches off for as far as the eye can see in either direction (ostensibly where the river runs). But it's the other things you notice that bewilder and confuse you: The wood full of blackened and dead trees that blanketed the land to the north of the bridge, are gone. In their place are a panoply of, soaring yews, gnarled oaks, and hoary elms of staggering size. The land north of you is choked thick with trees and dense understory, giving an overwhelming sensation of age and an unsettling feeling that your presence has been marked and you are not welcome here. The trees aren't the only thing that disquiets you. Somewhat distressingly, the sunless, cloudless sky radiates a dim luminescence that seems to come from everywhere and nowhere all at once -- shifting from muted shades of green to bruised purples one moment to the next.

aZ1YJQt.jpg

Leading away from the fog-shrouded bridge, is a well-worn track that enters the eaves of the forest and disappears around the bole of a particularly large oak tree in the gloom. A dozen yards away from the bridge, you see a sign-post, leaning drunkenly. Two arrows point in opposite directions. One arrow points into the preternaturally dark woods and another points toward the bridge. A thin, spidery script that reminds you of High Hyperborean is written on each arrow.

Solon continues to try and catch his breath, and looks around wide-eyed. "Hmmm . . . smells funny." He glances at the sky and squints confusedly, before turning his head and peering into the darkened forest path and frowning.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hairs on his neck bristling, Borric readies his maul for any hostile beings.
"Bard, that sword of yours, how feels it here?" He asks, gesturing at Marcan's falcata.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán reaches for his sword, getting a feel for it. He keeps it out, unsheathed. "Same as always, Borric. Ready for anything."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is the signpost fixed in place, or has its installation been tampered with in any way?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Is the signpost fixed in place, or has its installation been tampered with in any way?
Make an Idea roll (INTx5)
I rolled 54 vs 70. I don't have my char sheet at hand, so I'm assigning the target number from memory.
Yup, 70 is your target number. please post the link to your roll when you get a chance plox
Borric walks over to the sign and looks it up and down. The post is bent and dinged about three feet off of the ground. At some point something clearly collided with it, but when, what, whom, or why is anybody's guess.

nikolokolus

Arcane
What are your characters doing? The bridge lays behind you, obscured by the line of billowing fog, a fringe of turf extends East and West at the edge of the dark forest, and a dimly lit track disappears into the woods to the north?

The sky makes you think it's dusk or dawn, but after a half an hour of loitering the quality of the light hasn't changed a bit. There is a preternatural hush around you -- no animals in sight, no frogs croaking, no crickets chirping, just an occasional rustle of leaves as the wind blows.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Mab turns to the group "I suggest we take the road, at least that way we'll see any nastiness ahead of time."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Borric halts Amon from his scouting jaunt, "Perhaps I shall go in front, Stoneturned, while you and our other friends move in close formation? It is better we stay in sight and reach of each other in this fey land, than one of us stray too far ahead and separate from the group."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Grimgravy Make a "sense" roll, or alternatively a difficult "search" roll.

Before Amon gets too far ahead (crunching loudly on dead twigs and leaves and the bulk of his broad-cloak snagging underbrush, and whipping small saplings in his wake) Borric holds him up with his request. Meanwhile, Rhenmyr carefully examines the crowns and boles of the trees.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom