Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

Cormac will take that with him and his text to the elders is amended.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Not a problem. Give me a moment," Marcán goes to the hall where they last saw the elders. He quickly informs anyone who is currently there, including the elders, of Urash/"Ymae's" discovery. In there he also asks where Borric and Brule went off to.

Is it okay if I make some actions more ambiguous? I don't want to write dialogue for everything.

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Not a problem. Give me a moment," Marcán goes to the hall where they last saw the elders. He quickly informs anyone who is currently there, including the elders, of Urash/"Ymae's" discovery. In there he also asks where Borric and Brule went off to.

Is it okay if I make some actions more ambiguous? I don't want to write dialogue for everything.
Certainly.

L'ennui

Magister
Urash stares into the bowl and takes in the peculiar vision floating upon the water there.

He says to Aphrodisias: "I will do my best to assist you and follow your guidance."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr thanks Taran for his information and insights and prepares to follow Marcán.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ker turns to Taran, having decided what he could ask them.
"There is one thing I would like to ask you. What was that incantation and the runic stone you used to obtain the *truth* from Brule. Is this something you could teach me?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Marcán says his piece, and answers his own question when Borric and Brule return to the hall a few mintues after he arrives. Borric is wearing a brilliantly polished suit of rare steel scale armor and looks somewhat abashed.
Urash stares into the bowl and takes in the peculiar vision floating upon the water there.
He says to Aphrodisias: "I will do my best to assist you and follow your guidance."
"Good. Now I should say that if we wait until the fullness of Selene in thirty days, things will go much easier for us. If your need is urgent and you can't wait, then we'll make do as we can. The choice is yours."
Mab silently listens, waiting to be called upon.
Taran motions to Mab, "You there. You've been awfully quiet. What can we do for you lad?"
Ker turns to Taran, having decided what he could ask them.
"There is one thing I would like to ask you. What was that incantation and the runic stone you used to obtain the *truth* from Brule. Is this something you could teach me?"
Taran nods knowingly, "Tis beyond my ken and I'm not sure where Eogan found them, but he said that they looked like Dvergar runestones. If you wish, we have two more in our possession." He hesitates, "If that is the boon you ask for then that is the boon you'll receive."

nikolokolus

Arcane
I've been toying around with this idea for awhile, but now that I finally have a calendar pinned down that I like (and frankly, I've been reading a ton about Glorantha and playing the hell out of King of Dragon Pass and it inspired me) I've decided that certain kinds of magic will be stronger when certain celestial bodies are prominent. Selene is the Titaness of magic and strongly tied to the Balance. Helios and Mitra are strongly associated with the sun. The "Unseen Moon" Phobos moves erratically across the night sky and can only be perceived by the stars it blots out and is the source of Chaos and Shadow Magic.

In short here's how I conceive of it:
  • When Selene is full (the 43rd and 44th day of each month) Magic points or POW for "Balance" spells are halved. During the new moon in the middle of the month (the 21st and 22nd) they are doubled. The rest of the month they cost normal amounts.
  • When Helios (the sun) is at its zenith (noon each day) "Light" spells are double duration (or effect). During the night "Light" spells are halved in duration (or effect).
  • Phobos' phases and appearance are erratic. Through an "Omen" spell or Art(astronomy) or Art(astrology) skill roll, you can predict which night Phobos will be in the night sky that week (otherwise there is a 15% chance of just getting lucky). Shadow (Black) magic cast in the presence of Phobos adds +3 to the POW of the caster. Shadow Magic cast during all other times functions normally.
Refer to this spell list for what I consider Light, Balance and Shadow magic: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vA_bhiH0sdN3lKeC05eEhsUzQ/view?usp=sharing
Here's the calendar in case you missed it: https://adventures-in-theia.obsidianportal.com/wikis/calendar

If anybody has any major objections, then I'm perfectly willing to scrap this. I realize it might be a bit too fiddly and gives me more to keep track of.

P.S. You don't have to reply in the thread, but you can simply hit agree or disagree. If you have greater concerns to discuss send me a PM.

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Mab looks at Taran and says, "I have nothing I need from you at the moment, my sir. I simply have little to add that the others have not already."

L'ennui

Magister
"The hourglass is set and time is fast fleeting for Oona. If our friend's vision was true, I would not risk thirty days. Let us give our best effort and the gods will see to the rest... Come what may."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Aphrodisias nods, "Good. Let me rest for a few hours so I'm at my full strength. We'll perform the divination at sunset."

(Time can pass and we can fast-forward unless others have things they'd like to do).

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ker looks very seriously in Taran's eyes.
"I understand that they are precious to you and the village, so hear me out. Let us not call this boon a gift, but a loan; once this is all over, I shall come back to the village, tell you all about our deeds and put this runestone back to where it rightfully belongs. You have my word, by Cernunnos and the sacred trees of Coedwig Mawr."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Taran smiles, "Friend, these work but once and then turn to dust afterward. But we'll have no talk of 'loans.' We owe our very lives to you and your comrades. Take them. May they serve you in your journeys. With any luck you might even find old Eogan and return him to us."

L'ennui

Magister
Urash nods to Aphrodisias. "Yes, yes, of course. Rest as you must, you'll find me when you're ready."

Going back to Fidach's abode, Urash weighs his options. The rook still on his shoulder caws, and the Acadian nods.

"Good idea, Maru-Enlil. You are a clever one!"

Urash takes out some shattered statuettes from his bag, lays them before him on Fidach's table and concentrates on them so intently that everything else becomes a blur.

In a state of trance, Urash mumbles strange invocations and finally settles on a fixed loop, which he repeats again and again:
"For today may be fair, but tomorrow may fare better, and a friend who's a friend of a friend, now or then may find danger. The great work to be done, shall it wait or be eager? For today may be fair, but tomorrow may fare better..."

Casting Omen to see if Aphrodisias' work with the bowl should be rushed or delayed until the proper astrological alignment occurs.

[1d100] = 48 vs 89 Casting.

nikolokolus

Arcane
what did the elders say about Cormac's findings?
My bad, it got lost in the shuffle

Cinegetorix, Taran and Domelch gather around Cormac and take turns holding up the parchment to the light, Each shakes their heads before Cinegetorix speaks, "It's beyond us. Drunic perhaps? But you say he burned all of his papers and scrolls? Perhaps he was worried what Syelle Ru would do with them if he got his hands on them? I don't really know."
Urash nods to Aphrodisias. "Yes, yes, of course. Rest as you must, you'll find me when you're ready."

Going back to Fidach's abode, Urash weighs his options. The rook still on his shoulder caws, and the Acadian nods.

"Good idea, Maru-Enlil. You are a clever one!"

Urash takes out some shattered statuettes from his bag, lays them before him on Fidach's table and concentrates on them so intently that everything else becomes a blur.

In a state of trance, Urash mumbles strange invocations and finally settles on a fixed loop, which he repeats again and again:
"For today may be fair, but tomorrow may fare better, and a friend who's a friend of a friend, now or then may find danger. The great work to be done, shall it wait or be eager? For today may be fair, but tomorrow may fare better..."

Casting Omen to see if Aphrodisias' work with the bowl should be rushed or delayed until the proper astrological alignment occurs.

[1d100] = 48 vs 89 Casting.

Make two rolls please. An Idea roll and if successful an Evaluate roll.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Idea roll: [1d100] = 3 vs 90. I believe that's a critical success, correct?

Evaluate roll:
[1d100] = 62 vs 64. Phew!
Yup, that's a critical. divide the percentage by 20 and round up fractions.

Also, don't forget to tick off "evaluate" as a success. When I call for experience rolls you'll get a chance to raise it.

Urash casts his spell and goes outside of the hostel to get a breath of fresh air. The elevated boardwalk over the water creaks under foot as you stroll around the village. Eventually you find yourself leaning against a railing that overlooks lake vast Loch Oerni. You watch the scudding clouds move swiftly overhead and you spy a osprey hanging in the air. A moment later it dives and strikes the water with its talons and brings up a large wriggling salmon and flies to the top of a house in the village where it perches and begins to greedily devour its meal. Suddenly, a great golden eagle, with a twelve foot wingspan swoops in from out of the sun and drives off the Osprey and steals its meal. The eagle looks at you with its merciless black eyes and screeches at you before it dives off of the roof and sweeps low out over the lake and climbs steadily back out over the moors and highlands to the west.

You understand immediately that this is the omen you seek. Not only are you certain that time is of the essence, you detect some symbolic meaning in the threat of a greater predator that might threaten Oona should your group tarry for too long.

L'ennui

Magister
Urash frowns somberly.

"Sunset cannot come fast enough..."

The Acadian seeks out the others and advises them to be ready, as they may need to rush off to save Oona this very night.

"... and we may yet find we are not alone in tracking the poor girl. Some new danger is approaching..."

When all have been alerted, Urash goes to Ymae's hut and sits cross-legged in front of its door, waiting for Aphrodisias to end her rest. In his time there he tries to decipher the markings of Syelle Ru's staff.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Urash frowns somberly.

"Sunset cannot come fast enough..."

The Acadian seeks out the others and advises them to be ready, as they may need to rush off to save Oona this very night.

"... and we may yet find we are not alone in tracking the poor girl. Some new danger is approaching..."

When all have been alerted, Urash goes to Ymae's hut and sits cross-legged in front of its door, waiting for Aphrodisias to end her rest. In his time there he tries to decipher the markings of Syelle Ru's staff.
Just want to remind on one point. Deciphering arcane formulae and esoteric writing in Magic World is a process that takes weeks of study, not hours or days. I assume that anybody who has acquired things like this, studies them in their downtime. Anyway, you can attempt an INTx1 roll every three game weeks to unravel another sorcerer's notes, grimoire or other tomes. At some point I anticipate allowing for significant downtime for rest, recuperation and training instead of the helter-skelter jump from one emergency to the next that has been happening so far.

"Elders, I will confer with my comrades. One of them may know the language or gain a clue from the writing. I guess the only way to know what Drune Eogan was hiding by destroying the scrolls is to find him. I thank you for your assistance."

Cormac leaves to Ymae's house to see if anyone is still there after his city adventures.

L'ennui

Magister
Duly noted, mostly I'm giving Urash something to do while he waits for Aphrodisias. Consider it a small part of his downtime that just happened to be mentioned "on screen".

While we're at it, if an hour passes since the Omen spell, Urash recovers a MP, right? Can I go ahead and mark it off in the character sheet?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Hm, that doesn't sound good", He says under his breath, responding to Urash's none-too-subtle warnings. "Elders, it has been a pleasure." Marcán walks to the former home of Ymae, and waits until sunset.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr frowns at Urash's warning. "A new danger. As if we need more. I'll be back for the evenings festivities." Not wanting to be idle, Rhenmyr goes to find a sparing partner among the village's warriors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom