Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Druness, wait!" Borric hurriedly motions to his comrades to come together.
Guys any further information we can or need to squeeze outta this guy, and somehow use his life as payment for it?

Amon shrugs at word of his banishment. "So be it. Although, if you kill Solon, if he has a demon bound somewhere nearby, could that release it? I wouldn't know. I'm not sure it's a chance I would take with my people." Amon leaves the tower and starts to walk towards the edge of town.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr will aid in transporting Solon or Comac's presumably less than ambulatory corpse as needed.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric will slap the fat slug, assuming no one wants to stay his execution.

L'ennui

Magister
Urash hesitates for a moment, considering Borric's plea and the departing Amon.

Finally, he makes up his mind. "I shall be back shortly, friends."

Walking swiftly, then coming to a jog, Urash catches up to Amon just outside the village's walls.

"Hold up! Listen... I think it fortuitous that our paths should have crossed here, and in a manner that at once liberated you and brings us a renewed focus on our investigation of Koren Ghul. Will you not share in our travels still, in spite of this banishment? My comrades and I should not stay long in this place. I humbly suggest that you wait for us some distance across the bridge here. We will come for you when we leave, or message if we dally too long. What say you?"

Amon nods at Urash. "I believe our paths are indeed the same. I would be glad to travel with your group. About that Solon fellow. While he isn't the most agreeable person, I believe he has answers we all need. That woman won't listen to me, but she may listen you or others in your group to stay his execution. I will be waiting just out of sight of town in that direction." Amon points in his direction of travel

Last edited:

L'ennui

Magister
Urash nods in turn and starts back toward the village. "We will see what can be done for Solon. We will seek you out afterwards."

When he finds the others, Urash addresses the Druness: "Esteemed Druness, might we delay this miscreant's death by however long it takes to ascertain the true nature of his sorcery, whereby investigation we may better safeguard ourselves against its evil? Our own party's purpose may also benefit from whatever secrets Solon harbors. Our venture towards the giant tree we mentioned may fare the better for it. Will you grant us this additional kindness? Your hospitality humbles us already, and it is with great shame that I ask this additional favor. I pray you will forgive us this bold request."

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Borric, lost in his own thoughts, steps to the Druness, "Lady-druness, well do I understand your hatred of black magic. I have seen by mine own eyes what those corrupted by its foulness can do, I bear the scars of such acts still. Black magic, the summoning of demons, I know not the difference. What I do know is that- if another man were to walk into my tribe's lands, and promise to make our steppes flow with game again, I would not let my tribe fall for such lies again.
This man that you have decreed death for, I do not know him. I do not even like him. Yet, his death may cause us loss of what knowledge we could use to save other lives.
I ask you, spare this man's life, so we may spare other lives. In exchange, let him come with me to my own tribe when the time is right, and undo the corruption as an act of penitence and redemption."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Riona listens to Urash's and Borric's eloquent pleas without comment and remains silent for about a full minute after they finish. "On one hand, this snake disobeyed my edict, violated the rules of hospitality, endangered my people and commited numerous crimes within the walls of my village; I am honor-bound to punish him." She takes another long pause before continuing, "But on the other hand your kinsman and companion is dead because of this man's abominable acts and gross incompetence, which gives you a blood-right to vengeance. Under the circumstances I think I can find it within myself to hand him over into your hands and do with him as you will. But I will say this; if you come back and pass through Dinas Dardanii and this fat viper is still with you and drawing breath, then I will assume you are in league with him . . . Do I make myself understood?"

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
"Trust me Druness, when I'm done with him, even the carrion birds won't want him. Ha-hahaahahah." Mab laughs heartily at his own joke.

L'ennui

Magister
"Madam, I shall report favorably on the generous and wise rulings of Riona of Dinas Dardanii wherever my travels take me." Urash bows shortly, then follows after Borric and shoves Solon forward.

nikolokolus

Arcane
With that Ríona inclines her head slightly to Urash, raises an eyebrow at Mab, and pivots sharply on her heel and walks across the village green in a stately, unhurried manner. Several hunters who are scraping deer skins on racks a short distance away turn to watch with quizzical expressions on their faces and then glance over at the thin plume of ashy smoke rising from Solon's tower before shrugging and turning back to their work. The village seems none the wiser for the events that have transpired.

Solon falls face-forward into the thick muck and tries without success to heave himself out of it. Borric grabs the man by the neck and picks him up roughly and drags him by the arm for now.

Ríona's judgment seemed to give everyone the impression that it is best that you leave as soon as possible. The fellow Amon, who was recently a marble statue, has stuffed a few meager belongings into a satchel, slung it over his shoulder and is walking toward the village gates.

Did anybody grab the wooden wand that Solon was trying to wave around? I skimmed back through a couple of pages, but I didn't notice anything.

L'ennui

Magister
I don't think so. In any case, Urash has every intention of investigating Solon's house before leaving the village's surroundings. Just have to get Solon out of here first!

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Do what you will with Solon, I have to retrieve Cormac." Marcán returns to the tower, separates Cormac's inventory from his person (keeping his clothes, with his head covered in extra cloth). The rest of his belongings will stay in the tower for the moment. He then, possibly with the help of Rhenmyr, goes back to the temple to deliver the body.
I don't think so. Grimgravy is that alright?

L'ennui

Magister
At the village's outskirts, near the bridge, Urash points Borric to the spot where Amon should be waiting. "I should make a final survey of his cursed tower before leaving. There may yet be hints of the location of the Al-Hakim text, and Amon mentioned glyphs of some type."

Urash briskly walks back to Solon's tower, quickly sweeps the place for any items of immediate interest and then goes into the portico, which Amon had mentioned in his statement to Riona.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Urash looks down at the ring of engraved symbols in several concentric rings. You make note of several stones, bits of glass and a chunk of obsidian laying at seemingly random positions on the concentric rings. From your training you think this might be some kind of crude map of celestial bodies.

Now is your chance to make an Art (Astronomy) or Art (Astrology) roll. Barring that you can try to interpret what you see with an INTx1 roll, if you don't have training in either of those skills.

L'ennui

Magister
[1d100] = 38 vs 18, no go.

Urash cocks his head, looking at the scene from multiple angles before finally giving up his attempt at making sense of it. "Looks... astronomical, maybe? Hmm."

Urash gives the rest of the portico a quick look, then goes back down.

Is Solon's wand somewhere nearby?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Urash scans the first floor and sees a twisted willow branch, that has a linen wrapping around the stout end. It's under a chair several feet from where Borric cold-cocked the fat sorcerer.

L'ennui

Magister
Urash carefully approaches the diminutive branch and gently moves the chair out of the way. The Acadian crouches low, his face coming to a scant few inches of the wand. He observes it intently, then snaps up when a noise distracts him; it is his bird Maru-Enlil, cawing weakly from the tower's entrance.

"Ah! There you are, my dear little friend..."

Urash scoops back down towards the wand.

"Did you know, Maru-Enlil, that some magicians of particularly..."

He extends a hand slowly towards the inanimate twig.

"... irate disposition, sometimes bestow curses on wands such as this one..."

His hand pauses just before touching the wand. Urash mentally utters a quick prayer in Acadian.

"... so that foolhardy looters are sometimes struck dead when they think to claim them as their prize?"

His fingers make contact with the stout, covered end of the branch.

"Not that this Solon would be up to such nasty tricks, of course. Perhaps we've judged him unfairly, hmm?"

Urash wipes some sweat from his brow, stuffs the wand in his bag and heads out to rejoin Borric.

If the wand was actually a death trap, I'll edit my post accordingly. :P

nikolokolus

Arcane
The wand doesn't zap, burn, disintegrate, or otherwise maim Urash as he grips the linen wrapped end, it does however produce a pleasant tingling sensation that runs up your arm and makes the hairs on your arm and neck stand-up on end. Whatever the wand's function and peculiarities remains to be seen, but it doesn't appear dangerous . . . for now.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I updated the first post in the thread. ERYFKRAD mentioned some broken links. Everything should be more 'betterer' now, but send me a PM if you have any trouble with anything. In the future, just remember that everything you need should be on the Obsidian Portal campaign wiki, and supersedes any of the old PDFs from the Swords & Wizardry game.

I also updated the Obituary and the active roster.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Hopefully people have been keeping track of their successful use of skills. Since we are in a good spot to do so, I figured I'd allow everyone to make their improvement rolls.

For those aren't sure of the procedure, or don't remember, basically all you have to do is roll 1d100 against any skill that you have successfully used and roll OVER that skill, but there are a few special considerations listed below.
  • If it's an occupation skill you roll 1d8 and add the points to your skill, if it's a non-occupation skill then you roll 1d6.
  • If checked, you select a single occupation skill to automatically increase by 1D8 without having to make an experience roll.
  • As always, if you don't want to roll the amount of improvement you can always take 4
  • If the skill is above 100-INT, the the chance to improve the skill is INTx1
  • If you have a checked Characteristic (STR, INT, POW, etc.) because you either had a successful resistance roll, or because of a critical success with a Characteristic roll, roll 1d100 and if you roll 21 or less the characteristic improves by one point.
Refer to pages 51-53 of the Magic World book if you have any questions, or send me a PM. Make all of your experience rolls using the unseen servant dice roller and PM me the results. Either you or I can update your character sheet (I'll know you've done so, because I get notifications when files are modified).

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Let us see to our dead." Seeing Solon well in hand, Rhenmyr aids Marcan.

Skills rolled and sheet updated. nikolokolus can I have the stats for the Lion shield?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom