Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

L'ennui

Magister
Urash turns about, shouts in suprise and quickly regains his composure. He mutters a harsh curse and quickly eyes the room for anything that looks like it might be useful in banishing the summoned entity.

Search roll, I guess? [1d100] = 45 vs 45.

"Solon! Can you banish it? Quick, before it burns through everything you own!"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán attempts to charge at the beast, attacking it with his blade.

"We'll hold it off, just do whatever it is you have to do!"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Hey all, just letting you know that I'll be able to post an update tomorrow. These 60 hour work-weeks are starting to pile up on me a bit.

nikolokolus

Arcane
OK, I guess I was overly optimistic about having time on the 4th of July :P
Rhenmyr is the first to react and quickly unslings his bow, nocks and arrow and lets it fly. His aim is true and the feathered shaft disappears in the mass of writhing flames, when the creature shifts a bit you can see the arrow quivering, burning and stuck into the wall behind the creature. It doesn't appear to have harmed it.

Borric leaps up and bounds toward the table to jump up in the air and give himself some extra heft with his swing. Unfortunately he misjudges the leap and catches his toe on the front edge of the table. He goes flying over it and lands with a heavy thud on his belly.

The living flame looks down at Cormac rolling over and over on the ground and surges ahead tries to envelop him (automatically hits) Cormac's armor once again smokes and smolders and comes alight (Cormac doesn't take fire damage this round, but your armor can only take one more round of fire damage before it is useless and ruined). The hellish creature turns its head and spits a gout of liquid flame at Cormac (a special success) sprawled out on the ground (no dodge possible). The jet of flame 'splashes' on Cormac and inflicts 5 damage + 9 damage total of 14 (roll your armor's reduction and if you take 10 or more damage it inflicts a major wound, Llywelyn ap Gruffydd in which case roll a 1D100 to determine just how fucked you are)

Mab begins his incantation which will manifest at the start of his turn in the next round.

Cormac is rolling on the ground and had just put out the flickering flames that had sprung from his clothes, just before the creature spit on him (a successful Luck roll to put out the flames will be necessary at the start of your next turn.

Urash quickly realizes that this elemental foe will require more than swords and arrows and quickly scans the room for anything that might be of use. On a shelf, across the room he spots a peculiar thing. There is a bluish, crystalline flask on the same shelf that Cormac was fussing around with. Your keen eyes not what you perceive to be a rime of frost coating the outside of the bottle (Make an Idea roll L'ennui )

Marcán unsheathes the magical falcata at his side and rushes ahead, heedless of his own safety, charging the beast (Make an attack roll Siveon, you lose any ability to dodge or parry this round, but at the end of your full Move you inflict an additional +1D6 damage if you successfully make an attack).

Solon staggers backward toward the wall, but has enough presence of mind to begin forming the words to some spell.

Once everyone that needs to resolve a roll is done, we're into Round 2 and Rhenmyr and Borric go first.

KmKsLq1.png

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr stows his useless bow and readies his spear and the lion shield. He advances on the flame shield first.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric gets up, collects his maul and his injured pride, and charges again.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Sorry guys, this is the last week before our yearly submission deadline at work and I've been pretty swamped with that and also trying to build a retaining wall and fence at my house in my spare time. Good times. I'll try o carve out some time this evening and keep the ball rolling along. Things should resume their normal schedule starting on Monday.

Urash, makes a logical leap, that the frosted flask is probably another bound elemental -- likely an undine of some sort.

nikolokolus

Arcane
OK, life shall now resume it's normally scheduled broadcast . . . I'll update tonight when I have access to Fantasy Grounds' combat tracker tonight. Thanks for your patience.

nikolokolus

Arcane
ERYFKRAD make your attack roll and damage (if you somehow kill the creature in one blow then I'll adjust everything below to account for that)

Grimgravy as you advance forward you notice that the flaming creature bends and contorts itself as you approach and it glances sidelong at you with its coal-black eyes, with something approximating fear (you think?) the creature backs up against the wall to keep you beyond arms length. As it tries to retreat it butts up against the wall where several other flasks and reams of scrolls lie and sets the shelves alight.

Llywelyn ap Gruffydd The thing is no longer hovering directly over Cormac and you have an opportunity to get out of harms way without having to make a dodge roll.

As the creature retreats from Rhenmyr and practically refuses to look at him, he spits out another jet of flame at Cormac as he rolls away on the ground. Salamander flame spit 50% [1d100] = 9, damage [1d10] = 6 (another special success for double damage) additional damage [1d10] = 7 = total of 13 damage
The liquid fire again splashes on Cormac (make your armor roll Llywelyn ap Gruffydd )

After the creature of flame roasts Cormac again, Marcán rushes in with his Falcata and slashes it with a vicious blow. Although the sword stroke connects, you get the impression that the weight of your cut isn't doing the creature much additional harm (Only the blade itself inflicts harm because of its quasi-magical nature, Strength/Size damage bonuses or charging don't affect the calculation for creatures that are immune to non-magical attacks). The creature screeches in pain and howls with rage, staring at its midsection for a split second with an expression of disbelief.

Wayward Son What is Mab doing (maybe I missed it?)

Urash runs around the melee and thrusts his hand into the (now burning) shelves and tries to grab at the flask (make an agility roll L'ennui)

Lastly, Solon's incantation completes and Cormac finds himself enveloped in a blizzard-like tornado of swirling ice and snow. The cold is palpable, but remote and does not cause any discomfort.

ROUND 3 BEGINS . . .
zrRKTvQ.png

nikolokolus

Arcane
Wayward Son What is Mab doing (maybe I missed it?)
Doesn't it take up two turns to summon?
Oops. It's been awhile, so I forgot that you had started casting summon spirit in round 1. Anyway, Summon Spirit takes 1 full round. It begins on your turn and then takes effect at the start of your next turn, so your fear spirit appears in round 2. Bear in mind that all of your skills are halved until you rest for minutes equal to the POW of the spirit summoned (19 in this case). The spirit appears next to you ready to perform one task (or you can spend a permanent point of POW to bind the spirit into an object . . . but that wouldn't really help here.

A howling void opens up next to Mab in the floor, a pair of spectral hands stretch forth and a feeling of dread fills the room.

nikolokolus

Arcane
ERYFKRAD Borric's maul sails through the creature without connecting against anything solid and ricochets against the flagstone floor.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Mab shouts, "Now my spirit of dread and terror! Attack him!"
Mab will also move up and attempt to stab it with his spear
[1d100] = 26 vs 39 Spear Skill
[1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 Spear damage
Do I roll for the spirit as well? If so, what are its skill levels? Does it have any spells?
Spirits have one attribute, POW and no skills. They can only engage in spiritual combat. On its turn the fear spirit matches its POW vs the target's INT on the resistance table (19 vs 10 = 95% chance of success) and if successful it drains 1D3 Magic Points from the target with each success. Once a target's MP are reduced to 0 it is possessed by the spirit of fear permanently (same effect as the 'Terror' spell).

nikolokolus

Arcane
Urash tries to dart his hands past the flames to snatch the crystal flask, but gets mildly scorched for his trouble instead and does not grasp the flask. (1 HP of damage, less any armor roll you have).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom