Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
"Indeed, your theatrics could stand to be improved. What are you really doing here, friend?"

Haven't been posting much either, sorry. Wife gave birth to our third son on June 6th!
Congrats bro! Hope you can actually get some sleep at some point.
"What are you all talking about? He's obviously ill..." Mab seems confused.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Indeed, your theatrics could stand to be improved. What are you really doing here, friend?"

Haven't been posting much either, sorry. Wife gave birth to our third son on June 6th!

Third son? I salute your, uh, productivity.

nikolokolus

Arcane
"What are you all talking about? He's obviously ill..." Mab seems confused.

Cormac coughs. "Uhh, Madam Melinna? No, I have no clue what place that is. It sounds like a house of horrors like Gul's tower!"

"Ill? Why no . . . I mean, yes, ill! And no, not a place of horrors . . . Oh nevermind."

Marcán frowns, "Cease this charade, Solon. You've been a welcome host, and forgive me when I say this, but you are a terrible liar. You tense at word of Ghul, and you are practically in a panic when I mentioned Aphrodisias. Who are you, really? You are no simple collector, for that I am certain. We mean you no harm, but we are looking for the apprentices of Ghul, and you may just fit that criteria."

"Oh gods! He sent you to kill me didn't he?!"
Solon throws himself at Marcán's feet and begins grovelling. "I swear. I didn't mean to misplace it. It was stolen from me. Have mercy on an old man!"

nikolokolus

Arcane
"What did you "misplace" Solon? And who might have it now?"
He shoots a confused look at Mab, "The 'blood' of course; the alchemical elixir, 'dragon's blood' he had me safeguard. Some little filcher broke into my tower and took it. I suspected it was one of the cretins who live here, but they wouldn't have been able to defeat my wards without some sort of sorcery and aside from that witch who tends the shrine there isn't enough art in this whole dung heap to light a candle."

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Mab is openly confused, "Didn't you guys mention this blood earlier? In that one structure?"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán lends a hand to Solon. "Pick yourself up man, no one is here to kill you! If luck would have it we're probably the only ones here who can help you. Start from the very beginning. Who are you exactly and explain your relationship with Ghul."

He looks to Mab. "Yes, Mab. I believe we've mentioned this, but our group was sent here by the wizard Ghul to collect the dragon's blood, so that his evil pupil Abazion won't use it to reap untold havoc onto this world."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Yes, speak the truth, for we mean you no harm." Rhenmyr takes a gander at Solon and his home reflected in his mirror.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Solon stops grovelling and raises his head warily, with a cocked eyebrow, "Oh . . ." he coughs and staggers to his feet, groaning as he does so. "Abazion evil? Wait, what? Abazion was such a meek lad when I knew him . . ." he trails off muttering something inaudible. "So, Ghul didn't send you to kill me for failing to protect it? I'm so confused. How is that you lot know Aphrodisias, Ghul's consort? I didn't think she was even still alive? I'm sorry, let me start over from the beginning. Ghul left me here and gave me explicit instructions to guard the elixir, far away from his tower and his greedy apprentices, but Abazion . . . I can't see how he would ever turn on Ghul; the boy was so beaten down and cowed by the Master. I mean, we all feared him, but Abazion always seemed to get the worst of it -- the boy was so clumsy in the lab and his syntax and enunciation were always so poor. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, Ghul tasked me with hiding and safeguarding his revivification serum. If you were sent you to get it, then that means he's passed doesn't it? I admit I was expecting somebody else -- Djivan or Tychon." He shudders after saying their names.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"They managed to resist Ghul's call. What can you tell us of the are Ghul's apprentices and the area around here?"
The mirror doesn't turn up anything hinky?

nikolokolus

Arcane
"What do you want to know specifically? It's been some years since I've been around the Master. He left me here on his last expedition and I've been stuck here ever since." He slumps into a chair, "The Master's other apprentices when I was there were Abazion, Orsiphantes, Lysis and myself. Abazion was the youngest and least schooled of us." He looks at your faces intently before continuing, "But you want to know why he brought us here don't you?" Very well, I'll tell the parts I know. There are gaps because Master Ghul kept us mostly in the dark about his ways and means. However, I did snatch a glance at his notes surreptitiously when he wasn't looking though . . . not long enough to learn everything, but the gist at least. Master, came here to steal a very old Drunish potion . . . a potion for travelling across the veil of Limbo . . . a potion to be poured down his gullet by a faithful servant in the event of his untimely demise. The potion he stole was ensconced in a very old tomb north of here on a mountaintop. Djivan and Tychon, along with Orsiphantes and myself, stood watch over the entrance while he descended into the earth." He pauses and gets a strange look on his face, "When he returned several minutes later he was changed. His hair had gone from lustrous black, to shot through with grey and his face was lined as though he'd aged 20 years. After that it gets a bit fuzzy. I remember he threw a powder in the air that settled over all of us: Tychon, Djivan, Orsiphantes and myself. When I came to my senses, I found myself on the floor of the Common House here in Dinas Dardanii, with a crystal flask full of gold-flecked and ruby red fluid and an overwhelming compulsion to stay put. It was very odd, the hetman Segovax and Druness Riona and the rest of the villagers acted as though they'd known me my whole life and helped me to this dilapidated old tower, laughing as if finding me face down in the Common House were some kind of regular occurrence . . ." He chuckles a little, "I must confess, there have been times when I started to question reality. Had I merely dreamed my previous life in some far-off land? But no, every time I would open the small chest hidden in my floorboards and lay eyes on the flask, I knew Master Ghul had placed me here for some purpose." He shakes himself a little and a worried look settles on his face, "And now you lot are here, and I've failed at my task. The potion is gone I'm afraid."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Ghul does like compulsion, doesn't he? What do you know of who took the potion, the giant oak, and its green inhabitants?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Solon shakes his head, with a puzzled expression, "Giant oak? Green inhabitants? What do you mean?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cormac decides that he can't resist looking at some of the strange phials full of swirling gas and phantom shapes, along with the sundry dried bats' wings, rats' skulls, rune-carved skipping stones, and a curious flask full of sparking red lights and smoke. Cormac picks the thing up and clumsily drops the thing to the ground which causes it to shatter into hundreds of tiny shards. Almost instantly a great surge of heat explodes from the ground and a swirling vortex of fire leaps into being about 7 or 8 feet tall. The flames blast Cormac (roll a d6) and singe all of the hairs off of his face and head, but are blunted somewhat by his carapace of cuir boli armor.

As Cormac staggers backward Solon shrieks in horror, "You idiot! What have you done?!"

The vortex of flame stops spinning and and starts to resolve into a form that is very suspiciously anthropomorphic and reptillian: two long arms of living fire extend forth from a long serpentine body coiled on the floor, it's head is long and tapered and two eyes black as coal leer from beneath fiery brows. Nearby parchments and scrolls burst into flame and the floor is smoldering and blackening under the animated flame's form.

Combat begins:
Order: Rhenmyr, Borric, Creature, Mab, Cormac, Urash, Marcán and lastly is Solon. (gentle reminder, just post your intent and I'll sort out the resolution, remember you can move up to 8 squares and still attack -- the map is on a 5'x5' grid)

Ro7X06X.png

nikolokolus

Arcane
FYI, enough time has elapsed since your flight from the weird woods that you should have two "pulses" of magic points restored.

Here is the combat tracker updated, but go ahead and edit your character sheets as appropriate when you get a chance.
G6sv0RW.png

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric clambers atop the table and attempts to leap-attack the fire-reptilian.

nikolokolus

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom