Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"With everything we have faced, how could anyone survive? Even if you were one of those beasts that lives here. They surely would have been eaten by now."
"We survived so far."

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
"And we can survive farther." Mab, resolute, hops on his horse. "Any who needs to can hop on and come with me."

nikolokolus

Arcane
The troupe spends some time discussing the merits of trying to find a final resting place for Ker -- to build a funeral pyre for him here or to try and look elsewhere. As you dither, the first sign of life you've seen since you entered this accursed forest appears. A black raven lands on one of the branches of a tree overhead and caws at you a couple of times. It cocks its head to the side and looks down at you all intently.

Urash's own raven caws in response, and flutters around Urash's head, agitated, or excited.

Wayward Son

Would I be able to get close enough for Animal Friendship, if L'ennui's idea doesn't work?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Would I be able to get close enough for Animal Friendship, if L'ennui's idea doesn't work?
Animal Friendship requires "Touch," so not yet ...

"What is the matter, little one?"

Can I make an Idea roll to intuit what the birds are going on about?

Just in case, here is one anyway:

[1d100] = 12 vs 90. A Special Success?
Idea roll works
Urash's close bond with his raven helps him understand that there's something "off" or perhaps not wholly natural about the bird perched on the branches overhead.

The bird remains for a few more moments, squawks loudly three times and takes flight, soaring over the misty tree tops to the east.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"It's flying off in the direction of the hut in the bog. Do you want think we should follow it?"

L'ennui

Magister
"Hmm. That old hut? Perhaps more to it than it appears, after all... in any case, it seems we are invited there. What say you all, shall we let curiosity get the best of us? I vote yes."

Wayward Son

"Curiosity killed the cat my friends. Good thing I never really specifically cared for felines myself."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Let us not have everyone barging into the place, perhaps a sword and a sorcerer should go ahead, see who invites us first."

nikolokolus

Arcane
As the crows wheels into the air, it squawks one last time before disappearing from view, but this time the squawk sounds something like intelligible speech, "Away you fools. Tarry not in this curst place. Go back to your village across the river and let the dead lie."

Wayward Son

"So... How often do things like this happen? It sounded like it said something about letting the dead lie. Mayhaps we are too late?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
The heavy mist that laid on the blackened woods continues to lift, but a pervasive and gripping silence remains. A washed out and pale sun peaks over the ridge to the east and the distant croaking of frogs can just be heard from the distant and vast marsh. The only viable path appears to be the one you forged coming in. Tangles of blackened vines, dead and downed trees litter the slightly up-tilted ground and pressing ahead looks like it could be a very difficult path to cut.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Heeding the warning and pressing on to the village may be a good idea. We can deal with a pyre when materials are at hand. Can you do somethong to preserve Ker's body for the time being, Cormac?"
Rhenmyr straps Ker to his horse and makes ready to leave.

"I have nothing I need to preserve Ker for the time being. We will just have to get used to the smell. If this is a cursed place, we really should take him with is and out of this place. The sooner the better."

nikolokolus

Arcane
The troupe comes to an agreement and the remaining horses are mounted and carefully walked back to the edge of the marsh. The soft squishy earth consumes a portion of the dead forest, but aside from the razor-sharp sedges that inflict their tiny cuts, there are no heavy vines or thorny brambles to contend with and the march becomes almost pleasant. You peer across the fen at the tiny hut in the middle of the marsh. A thin wisp of smoke appears to curl from a chimney, but little else can be gleaned from this distance.

You can see what looks like a well-trod animal path running north (from whence you came) and it winds to the south, through an old stand of dead trees and back to the edge of the sluggish waters of the marsh. You each strain your eyes southward and just at the edge of your vision you think you see a hillock in the distance, with what might be the faintest outline of a pallisade or wall profiled against clear blue sky.

L'ennui

Magister
Squinting as he peeks southwards, Urash says: "That may be the village we were planning on passing through." He then turns back to the more immediate presence of the hut. "There is smoke. Maybe someone is inside."

"It might give us a dry place to rest for a while. If anyone is home they also may know what lies ahead before we get to the village. On the other hand, we don't k ow what time of person, or being would live in a place such as this."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Do we want to meet the kind of person to live so closed to cursed and and giant frog monsters?"

L'ennui

Magister
"Surely we can parley with such a person, and with that may come unsuspected boons to ease our weary hearts. All cannot be gloom hereabout, else even the roughest Picts would have left these lands long ago."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
"Surely we can parley with such a person, and with that may come unsuspected boons to ease our weary hearts. All cannot be gloom hereabout, else even the roughest Picts would have left these lands long ago."

"You never know, perhaps a Pict would call that fleeing and would away from such cowardice. Picts are not without heart, as our friend shows."

L'ennui

Magister
"Indeed, this country calls for stout men, and as far as this traveler can tell, that call has been answered by the Picts. Will we not go see who dwells there? Perchance we will find a Pict of the sort we speak of, or an acquaintance thereof."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
"Indeed, this country calls for stout men, and as far as this traveler can tell, that call has been answered by the Picts. Will we not go see who dwells there? Perchance we will find a Pict of the sort we speak of, or an acquaintance thereof."
"I still say that two of us would forth while the rest lie in wait, as befits the wary. I shall go forth, who else?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom