Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Mab roots around in his pack and pulls out a length of silk rope "Might we be able to use this to replace it?"
I made a secret Idea roll for you. If you failed it, then there is some defect in the way you anchor the rope that other people can make Idea rolls to spot. If you fumble your idea roll then it will take a Special or better Search roll to spot the defect.

Mab ties a large double knot in the end of the rope and slides it into the narrow finger-width crack in the cavern wall. He tests it with a couple of sharp tugs and it seems securely seated.

L'ennui

Magister
"Shall we resume our ill-advised descent, then? Our comrade awaits us, and who knows what else."

If noone else steps in, Urash grips the the rope as firmly as he can, enrolling it about hia forearm, and he begins a slow descent.

Roll needed?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Right behind you."

Marcán tugs at the rope with light suspicion before sliding down.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Urash, Marcán and Mab straddle the rope and gingerly walk down the smooth slide made doubly slick by the thick sheen of mold and slime that covers its surface. Fortunately the rope holds and you deposit yourself on a wedge-shaped ledge, 30' on each side, that is surrounded by an empty black void. Ker stands near the ledge and peers down into the impenetrable gloom aided by an eldritch fire he must have summoned from some nameless hell. The thin line of flames runs the length of the lefthand side of the ledge alternating between sickly shades of green and vibrant purple.

Ker points down, "Come. It won't burn you, I promise. Look, another ledge somewhat like this one about 20 or 30 feet below us. There's steps leading down."

Indeed, when you glance into the yawning chasm you can make out steps that hug the cavern wall to your left that curve down to another wedge shaped platform. Ragged sheets of cobwebs hang from the cavern walls and coat the steps and wall below the lip of the ledge you stand on. A heavy layer of dust coats the cobwebs making them look like giant curtains or sails fluttering in the light draft of air that wells up from below.

UAZBO9f.png

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Marcan gasps and makes an annoyed yelp at the sight of the ledge. "Pardon me, but I'm not exactly comfortable with darkness and heights." He steels himself for a moment, "D-down the stairs, then, 'o firebearer?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ker reaches into his pouch and produces a clay flask. "Sadly, I possess no more Atlantean Fire, but a bit of oil and a bit of fire should do the trick." He uncorks the flask and pours a measure into the palm of his hand and tosses it in sweeping arc over the thick cobwebs that cover the stairs, he grins and holds his torch to the stuff, but nothing happens.

Ker frowns deeply.

Siveon

Bot
"I'd say there is a pretty decent chance of spiders. What with the cobwebs and all." Marcán tries to slice at the cobwebs with his spare sword.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Joining the group Rhenmyr remarks, "Any bets on the dust all over the webs meaning no spiders to trouble us?"

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
"Dust may mean that the spiders are no more, but they are unlikely to have left unless forced to by something we would be far less lucky if we encountered." Mab prods one of the cobwebs with the butt of his spear.

Siveon

Bot
"Oh! Oh, oh dear." Marcán takes a few steps back in astonishment. "Some spiders. There's something unnatural in these cobwebs, I swear it's trying to lure me," he looks at Mab, "or us, in. I can still smell the sheep stomach on rye bread."

Wayward Son

Mab acts like he can barely hear Marcàn, tears brimming in his eyes, "N-no." Mab emphatically shakes his head, "She- she can't be here. And... hen and dumpling stew? Just the way that they used to... Friend Marcàn, if... if I begin to act out of the ordinary and run off, stop me in any way necessary. These voices are too realistic to be falsehoods to my addled mind."

Siveon

Bot
"Steel yourself, Mab! There's no fathomable way your parents, your kin, are here in this place. I fear should we press on, we'd only experience more illusions, and stumble upon whatever is creating them."

Wayward Son

Mab chuckles lightly, "Do you believe in ghosts my friend? If so, there is a very tangible way for some of them to be here." Mab growls, "Illusion or no, I want to find whatever caused this and make them feel a wrath like no Hell can bear for causing wounds like these to come back."

Siveon

Bot
Marcán scoffs, "As if a ghost of your kin would haunt here of all places. I don't think they wander, now, do they?"

Wayward Son

Mash calms down, "Of course Marcàn. The voices... they just... Thank you. Should we leave here, or do you wish to travel deeper? Oona may be down here yet." He still looks a little shaken.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom