Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Everybody aside from Cormac has the good sense to avert their eyes as the swirling motes of light begin to dance and swirl all around you. Cormac can't help himself and looks up into the vortex and feels his head begin to swim as the hypnotic whirlpool of light gently bobs and swirls in the air around him. Cormac stands, open-mouthed and sways gently back and forth like an idiot.

The figure turns back to Marcán and says, "Foolish mortal, there's naught ye can tell me and whatever I don't yet know, means it isn't worth knowing. If you want my boon, then my price remains the same -- Pledge your soul to me and I give you your heart's desire. All I ask in return is that thirty years hence, on the anniversary of this eve, I come and claim what is mine, whether you're either mouldering in the ground or slipping into your dotage and eager for death's cold embrace. I leave you to ponder and consider. I grow weary of our palaver and must needs be getting on, ere the dawn breaks and the ways are barred. Toodle-oo!" He lifts the hem of his black, tattered cloak and pirouettes on his cloven hoof causing the motes of light to flare and spin faster. He turns twice more on his heel and vanishes from sight.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"You can come out now, Rhenmyr." Marcán says, turning his attention to his dumbstruck cousin. He snaps his fingers in front of Cormac - looking for a response."Remind me to never parlay with a fae."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
His target gone, Rhenmyr relaxes his draw, but remains in hiding for the time being wondering if the hoofed one might come back.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Gradually the motes of light slow their erratic dance in the air and wink out one by one. Several minutes later Cormac shakes his head and clears the cobwebs. The summit of the mountain has grown very still and quiet, and a feeling of pervasive gloom descends on you all.

Maybe it's just your imaginations running wild in the dark after your uncanny encounter with "Auld Widdershins," but the yawning black portal set into the flagstones a few dozen feet away inexorably draws your attention. The tumbled masonry around it and the stunted, twisted tree that overhangs it, gives the back corner of the broch a foreboding, otherworldly feeling; a nearly palpable sense of malice and dread.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
The magic having dispersed, Rhenmyr approaches the group. "This doesn't feel right, I don't like this hole. Did parleying with the goat legged creature accomplish anything."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"I'll head in first, see what we're getting into." Borric peers into the hole to gauge its depth.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"I'm inclined to avoid that hole. With what Urash said about the evil moon, and the goat thing..." Rhenmyr trails off then continues. "I have the feeling that the goat thing could have bested all of us. We And the feeling hereabouts has only gotten worse since it left. I suggest we camp in the valley or retrieve the horses and press on. I do not like this place, but we cannot abandon Oona."

nikolokolus

Arcane
"I'll head in first, see what we're getting into." Borric peers into the hole to gauge its depth.
Sorry, I stopped receiving notifications
Borric peers into the hole and sees the steps falling away into darkness. Down, down, down at distance that almost seems to defy logic, you think you can just make out a pinprick of light. Like a candle seen from a great distance, or daylight at the end of a very long tunnel.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Mab stands silently through the ordeal. At the end, he chimes in "Hm? Oh yes I am all for pressing on."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Depending on what Borric sees, I'm for venturing into yet another strange and likely unnatural portal. No need in turning back empty handed, in my opinion."

nikolokolus

Arcane
From what I can tell is that we don't have a universal consensus about what to do next. So how do you all want to proceed?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd just roll for climbing down, once I've made some sacrifices to the RNG God.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Rhenmyr will reluctantly go if everyone else does, but thinks this is a bad idea. The whole situation screams we're in over our heads to me.
In before a PC death. :M

nikolokolus

Arcane
Deciding that there is no turning back now and compelled in no small part by curiosity, the group decides to descend.

Borric stands astride over the steeply pitched stairs that plummet into darkness. He holds a torch aloft and looks down, noticing that the stairs are heavily weathered and "dished" in the middle, as if they've been worn smooth by thousands of footfalls over centuries (or maybe longer). Tentatively he places one foot on the first step and tests half of his weight on it. It seems as solid and real as any other step, and so he takes another. After three steps down his head drops below the threshold of the opening and the guttering torchlight dances on the boughs of the dead tree that overhangs the portal. To everyone's great relief, nothing at all horrifying or otherwise terrible happens and one by one you step into the long, dark stairwell.

The descent seems interminable and at times it feels as though you aren't moving at all. Occasionally you look back, but see only darkness. When the torch is hidden, the pinprick of light you perceived at the end of the stairwell doesn't appear to have grown any larger. You can't even use the burning torch as a measure of time, because it doesn't appear to have burned down at all. Uneasy, but undaunted you continue.

Much, much later . . .

You continue descending the smooth steps, set into the tunnel that never seems to end. All sense of time has fled from you as a pervasive stillness has surrounded you that makes every step seem to echo far too loudly, and every whispered word ring in your ears. Without warning you look up and the pinprick of light at the bottom of the tunnel seems to have grown. A hundred steps more and you reach the source.

YrHyFWK.jpg

The stairwell opens up into a small chamber about 20 feet wide and 30 feet long. Two curving stairways hug the walls to either side of you, terminating in a candlelit mezzanine where a small apse lies just behind an heavily carved column of dark stone. Straight ahead and below the mezzanine, a tunnel continues on, terminating in a 'T' about 50 feet further on. All around you and in the tunnel, human skulls are heaped against the walls and fluted columns.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom