Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Wasn't the green fog the indication of Oona's kidnapping? I... I fear that means our stay in this world might not be as permanent as we hoped. We'll investigate these looters and I suppose I'll have no choice but to track down my people. We might be too late already, sold to slavery, maybe Ghul would be of help after all..." Marcán trails off. "For now we should find food. Yes."

Marcán ponders these turn of events. Giant serpents, wraiths on black horses, green fog... any tales he would know. Etc.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Marcán wipes some of the greenish dust up from the surface of a nearby barrel. You strongly suspect that this so-called "green fog" might not have been a fog at all, but a cloud of fine particles, however what might have motivated the particles to swirl around like a "serpent" is beyond you. A vortex of wind perhaps?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Black horse, magic green fog, and a glowy eyed rider. Put me to mind of the Hyperborean that melted himself when we first met. He was abducting people too."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Solon wipes up some of the powder and delicately puts some of the stuff on his tongue and mutters, before spitting and cursing, "Gods. Mindsease; I'd swear my life on it. Where in blazes did somebody find enough Hob Orchid to create so much powder?!" He turns to Marcán and takes on a slightly more solemn tone, "Keltoi, I'm afraid the people of your village were drugged, and their minds blanked by the refined blossoms of narcotic orchid found only in Stygia. Someone went to great expense and trouble here to subdue your tribe."

Siveon

Bot
"For what purpose? My village hasn't done any harm to anyone. Is this narcotic expensive, something only someone with large connections could do? Might be Hyperboreans after all. We haven't exactly been friendly to them."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric looks to Rhemyr. "Would you know of anyone who would have dealt with such things from your Stygian lands? Perhaps you can shed some light here?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
"For what purpose? My village hasn't done any harm to anyone. Is this narcotic expensive, something only someone with large connections could do? Might be Hyperboreans after all. We haven't exactly been friendly to them."
Solon shrugs, "I don't know. And what was this about a Hyperborean 'melting' and whatnot?"
Borric looks to Rhemyr. "Would you know of anyone who would have dealt with such things from your Stygian lands? Perhaps you can shed some light here?"
Solon interrupts, "It's common enough in its native land. How else do you think the priest-kings of Stygia so easily subdue their slaves and cause them to toil to their death with so few uprisings? What is uncommon, is the quantity here. Its harvest and refining is tightly controlled, but it can be procured if you have the appropriate contacts."
"If I may interject... what do we actually know about Ghul? Mighty sorcerers are not always considerate with their neighbors, as it were... perhaps this is his doing."
Solon frowns at Urash, "My master may not have been a kind man, and he guarded many secrets, but I can think of no scenario where he would go to the trouble of drugging a barbarian village. Besides, if it's as you said earlier, that his tower lays sacked at the heart of Odessos, I don't see how he could be responsible. Didn't you mention you found his clone in his seclusium, where his form hasn't animated, but his disembodied spirit haunts the place? I thought your entire purpose was to retrieve the 'dragon's blood' which lays upon yonder lass's neck on a silver chain, and use it break whatever mordet has been placed upon him?"

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr checks the boy in his mirror.

"Let's get cleaned up and eat! We should be able to set up an ambush for these looters pretty easily if we want. Any thoughts on the green fog and mystery rider?"
The boy appears to be normal -- a little thin and dirty perhaps, but unremarkable otherwise.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"This mindsease may be the replacement for the lotus powder mentioned in the note from the Hyperborean's locked box. The disappearances both here and in Odessos combined with the powder and oddities with the Father Inniros point to a wider plot we have just scratched the surface of."

L'ennui

Magister
Solon frowns at Urash, "My master may not have been a kind man, and he guarded many secrets, but I can think of no scenario where he would go to the trouble of drugging a barbarian village. Besides, if it's as you said earlier, that his tower lays sacked at the heart of Odessos, I don't see how he could be responsible. Didn't you mention you found his clone in his seclusium, where his form hasn't animated, but his disembodied spirit haunts the place? I thought your entire purpose was to retrieve the 'dragon's blood' which lays upon yonder lass's neck on a silver chain, and use it break whatever mordet has been placed upon him?"

Urash shrugs. "I believe some of our comrades here have seen these things you mention, but for my part I found this troupe after those events, and since undertaking the quest I have been given in Kor to find out what happened to Ghul, I have yet to see him in the flesh. I hope what you say is true, and your master is not a wicked one."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Solon becomes pensive and falls quiet at the mention of Kor.

With night fast approaching, the boy Bran, leads you to his family's house near the village gate. There are fishing nets strewn about on tables in various states of disrepair, and in one corner Bran lifts a straw covered pallet that conceals a cellar door. He disappears inside and after a few moments returns with a parchment bundle. He opens it up to reveal a couple of pounds of dried fish, "It ain't much, but you're welcome tae it." He also unloads an armful of mealy apples from a pouch on to the central dining table in the middle of the hut.

What do you all wish to do? It's now about an hour past sundown, so still possible to see for about another half-hour to hour. Bran will continue to answer questions and seems to gravitate towards Oona, who finds a rag and insists the he let her clean his filthy face and hands.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
"Thank you," Marcán tries a dried fish while sitting in the hut. "Did you get a good look at these looters, Bran? Armor, insignia?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
"I'll check the rest of the village more thoroughly while there is still light"
Can you be more specific? This village has at least 50 dwellings plus the chieftain's hall. Is there something you want to focus on in your search? Are you carefully searching a few areas, doing a quick survey of all areas, etc.?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Focus on the hall and any other important looking structures. Quicker scans while traveling in between unless something draws attention.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr takes about about 30 minutes to survey the village, focusing on the great-hall. The only thing notable about the place besides the heaps of rotted food, discarded mid-feast, is the distinct lack of valuable metallic items and no weapons. A quick circuit of the rest of the hillfort is quiet and uneventful, but you do spot a crudely dug tunnel along the northeast wall about fifty meters away from Bran's house; it's just wide enough to allow a small or slender person to squeeze through. Climbing on top of the catwalk behind the wall and looking out over the landscape reveals a precipitous drop down the escarpment and curiously just outside of the wall where the tunnel re-emerges, there's a rope affixed to the timber pallisade that dangles at least 30 meters to the plain below. Sort of looks like an escape route.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
With the light failing Rhenmyr tries to find some feed for the starving horses then rejoins the others and gets some food for himself. "Dig yourself an escape tunnel, lad? What lies in that direction?"

Siveon

Bot
"What use do we have of a tunnel anyway? Might as well fill it in when we get there. What do you think, boy?"

This didn't post yesterday, but Amon wanted to go with Rhenmyr to search. "I'll go too. We might want to find a few places where we can set up an ambush."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Bran hesitates a bit, but seems a little bit more at ease, "Aye I dug a tunnel, me an' my friends been usin' it for awhile afore the black rider came an' spirited everyone away. I dropped a line in case I needed tae make a getaway when those men come back; din wantae get caught wi'oot a means o' escape is all. I thought I hid it better than that?"

the most obvious ambush is at the front gate, it's defensible, gives you a couple of parapets, and creates a chokepoint.

"Well, if it's just an escape tunnel, we can potentially use it if we need to. I think in the mean time we need to prevent people from freely entering the town."

Amon looks for a shovel, pick, and axe to get to work.

"I'll need some help. The dark is going to slow things down, but we can at least secure this place by late evening."

Amon is going to see if he can secure the front gate. Then look for some longer poles to sharpen and set into the ground to ruin any mounted riders day. Then he also wants to make some small hole traps with sharpened sticks inside around the obstacles to make it slow going and painful."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom