Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

L'ennui

Magister
"Let's get out of sight, fast. We'll evaluate our options when there aren't any mad, barebreasted furies hounding after us." Urash wheels around towards the city's streets.

nikolokolus

Arcane
ERYFKRAD Siveon L'ennui Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Grimgravy So . . . are we running out of steam?

I ask because with the loss of Borric, and Marcán's transformation it feels like we might be nearing a sort of natural conclusion to the campaign, particularly since you are so close to getting out of here. Also, as much as I've enjoyed running the game, my circumstances at work have changed a bit in the past couple of weeks. I got a promotion (which is a good thing) but it's going to seriously limit the amount of time I can hop on my phone and post from work (which I used to do, when I had models and processes running in the background and time to kill).

Anyway, if you guys want a denouement or some kind of resolution I'm happy to put a bow on this thing. Let me know.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I want to wrap this up. I was waiting on the next stage of us gtfo. I have no problem with a break or ending the campaign afterwards if work intrudes. Congrats by the way.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm cool with wrapping up as well. Perhaps in the more convenient future we can set-up another PBP or maybe a live-game in the same setting recycling the same plot/characters/etc.

ERYFKRAD Siveon L'ennui Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Grimgravy So . . . are we running out of steam?

I ask because with the loss of Borric, and Marcán's transformation it feels like we might be nearing a sort of natural conclusion to the campaign, particularly since you are so close to getting out of here. Also, as much as I've enjoyed running the game, my circumstances at work have changed a bit in the past couple of weeks. I got a promotion (which is a good thing) but it's going to seriously limit the amount of time I can hop on my phone and post from work (which I used to do, when I had models and processes running in the background and time to kill).

Anyway, if you guys want a denouement or some kind of resolution I'm happy to put a bow on this thing. Let me know.

I think it was partially the weekend.

Amon looks at the boats again. Picks out one that can support the group with ogres and fish.

"I say we take a couple of boats. I never plan to return to this place, so if we make a few people unhappy with out long term borrowing, I really don't care."

Amon heads towards an unoccupied boat.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Amon scans the docks for a suitable boat to hold he and his companions. His eyes settle on the largest boat on the quay, that's about forty feet long, with a single mast, and five pairs of sweeps; a small galley of some sort. Without any expertise in sailing, your guess is as good as anybody's if it will be large enough to hold four ogres, seven people and an anthropomorphic cat-thing.

Meanwhile, the barge is inching closer and closer to Dreg, but at about 1 knot, it's probably going to take at least a couple of minutes before they will be able to land, and probably 20 seconds before they are comfortably within bowshot.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Urash, could friend bird drop a small vial on yonder barge? Even if he can, we should go now. I vote boat."

L'ennui

Magister
"I could try to instruct him to do just that, but... the thing has a mind of its own." Urash moves with the others towards the boat.

Congrats on you promotion! For this game, I think we should just get out of this "otherworld" and that would make a nice end to the campaign for now. Do you still intend to GM a Lamentations of the Flame Princess game?

nikolokolus

Arcane
"I could try to instruct him to do just that, but... the thing has a mind of its own." Urash moves with the others towards the boat.

Congrats on you promotion! For this game, I think we should just get out of this "otherworld" and that would make a nice end to the campaign for now. Do you still intend to GM a Lamentations of the Flame Princess game?
Possibly. I'll have a better idea of my work load over the next few weeks. One possible snag is that starting in September I'm going to have about 10 weeks of field work in the next year (not consecutive.)

nikolokolus

Arcane
With little time to spare the troupe trundles along the dock to the small galley, where a single sailor stands guard . . . well, 'stands' is the wrong word. Where a single sailor lies propped up against a stanchion on the dock with his felt cap pulled over his eyes and his feet propped up on a bundle of some sort. The heavy vibration of the ogres's running along jostles him and he wakes just as the lot of you come up to the boat and start piling in. He makes a start as if to say something, thinks better of it and instead quickly snatches up a small knapsack and runs off in the opposite direction without saying a word.

In short order you settle into the galley. Fortunately the four ogres don't sink the boat and they settle in at the oars at Mab's command. The barrel holding Marcán is stowed in the bow, and Amon detaches the bow line while Moggle chops at the mooring line in the aft of the boat. As soon as the boat starts to pull away Moggle leaps for the dock and calls out, "Safe journey my strange fellows. Alas, this poor auld grimal has had enough of boats and water to last a lifetime. I'll do my best to buy you a bit more time; the maidens and goolegh aboard yonder barge are about to encounter a nasty surprise." He waves his short sword in a salute and sprints back up the dock. As you drift out into the current, the ogres quickly have you moving at a decent clip, which Solon augments with another of his summoned waves. About a minute after putting into the water you see one of the towers attached to the Dreg docks, that supports the barge cable, make a terrible screeching noise as metal twists and it collapses into the river with a large splash. About fifty meters from shore the barge is let loose and is carried into the current about 200 meters behind you. With the ogres at the oarlocks, you quickly put distance between yourselves and the barge and Dreg and the mist-shrouded isle of the lady become small and distant.

The ogres row with indefatigable strength and the wake behind your boat is considerable. You're probably moving 8 to 10 knots with the assistance of the ever increasing speed of the current -- the shoreline seems to race past you as the river begins to narrow and deepen about a half-mile ahead you can see the edge of the river where it drops away into the Falls of Nyf. Mab instructs the Ogres to reverse their rowing and keep the boat in a more or less stationary position. The barge with the maidens, the hounds and their houndmaster are a small dot behind you probably a mile away and no threat for the present. To the left and the right steep cliffs climb directly out of the water and make the prospects of mooring the galley dubious at best.

What do you do?

Amon wishes Moggle well before boarding the boat.

Once at the cliffs, Amon looks around for any place that could be used to moor the boat.

Search=[1d100] = 39 vs 46 = Success

"I would think we will need to leave the boat to get around the falls. Or maybe you have another trick up your sleeve Solon?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Solon shakes his head a little numbly, "Ah . . . nothing comes to mind. I can probably hold the boat stable with the counter-force of my column of water. At least for another minute or so. Perhaps enough time to jump to the rocks. However I don't think I can make the leap and the climb; it's beyond my advanced years."

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Oh? Would that work?" One of the ogres grunts and rolls its eyes.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
With Solon put at ease he guides his water column to aft and port and steers the galley toward the rocks as gently as he can. Unfortunately the magic is a bit wild and the galley handles like a drunken cow. With a heavy *crunch* the boat slams into some submerged rocks and breaks the bow. You are foundering in the Rocky shoals about 20' from shore with water pouring in rapidly. The boat seems certain to sink shortly.

One of the ogres jumps overboard and the water goes up to his neck (8' deep). Another hands him the barrel with Marcán and follows. One ogre balks at jumping into the water and the last one scoops up Solon before plunging over the side.

Everyone who jumps in will need to make a swim roll if they are wearing anything heavier than clothes, or are otherwise carrying a lot of stuff.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Come along, lad!"
Rhenmyr backs up to the far railing, activates the Far Striding Girdle, and takes a running leap for shore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom