Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Marcán's DEXx10 agility roll (90%) roll [1d100] = 45%
Marcán climbs over the parapet and easily slides down the rope. To the narrow ledge at the base of the wall where the rest of his companions are standing, pressed up against the wall away from the edge. The 300' drop is dizzying and some of you wonder if the double-length rope, tied with a fisherman's knot can hold all of your weight (decisions to be made; the rope has an inherent STR that must resist its load, which is equal to the sum of the SIZ of whatever it is holding up if SIZ = STR, there's a 50-50 chance the rope breaks under it's load. An INTx3 roll or a sailing roll can help you judge how strong the rope is and how much weight it's likely to bear.)

Meanwhile, the door that Borric is holding back becomes so bitterly cold that you can feel it seeping through your fur cape and armor theatening to freeze you solid (ERYFKRAD needs a CON 19 (+2 for your warm cape) vs POW 25 resistance roll to avoid the intense cold; that's a 20% of success.)

The postern door is vibrating rhythmically, as if someone or something very large is walking through the manor; the slow steady vibration is getting stronger.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr surmises that about 3 people at a time would be the maximum safe number of people at a time, beyond that number you feel less certain. It will take about 3 rounds to descend.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Would Una and Moggle equate to one 'person' for rope purposes?

"Three at a time on the rope. Any more is risky. Amon free climbed it, so it can be done if you're confident in your climbing ability."

Amon looks down the wall to determine if he can climb down without a rope, and determines that while he was able to climb up, he won't be able to climb down.

Climb: [1d100] = 84 vs 34 = Fail.

"Looks like I'll have to take the rope over the wall. Borric, it's time to go!"

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Would Una and Moggle equate to one 'person' for rope purposes?

"Three at a time on the rope. Any more is risky. Amon free climbed it, so it can be done if you're confident in your climbing ability."
Sorta . . . what you are up against is SIZ vs. STR of the rope. 3 average SIZ people are about 13 each, Moggle is about SIZ 7 and Oona is SIZ 10. your estimate is that the rope probably has a STR of around 50, but it's just a guess. So it could be +/- 10 STR; you won't know for sure unless you reach a critical load and test its STR. i.e. put a load that gets to within 10 points or less and forces a resistance roll.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Amon looks down the wall to determine if he can climb down without a rope, and determines that while he was able to climb up, he won't be able to climb down.

A free climb down is about 5 times slower than shimmying down the rope, FWIW.

A free climb down is about 5 times slower than shimmying down the rope, FWIW.
OK, scratch that plan. I'll just go down and then we will get away in our boat. If they follow us, they get to swim.

nikolokolus

Arcane
ERYFKRAD Borric still needs to make a CON vs. POW roll (20% chance of success to resist the bone-chilling cold radiating through the door). Also, if you want to keep holding the door shut you'll need another STR vs. STR roll against the force that is pressing against the door this round. It will take about 6 rounds for everyone but you and Amon to escape to the boat.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ERYFKRAD Borric still needs to make a CON vs. POW roll (20% chance of success to resist the bone-chilling cold radiating through the door). Also, if you want to keep holding the door shut you'll need another STR vs. STR roll against the force that is pressing against the door this round. It will take about 6 rounds for everyone but you and Amon to escape to the boat.
Con vs pow [1d100] = 43 vs 20
Not holding the door anymore.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric resists the cold as long as he can bear it (he suffers 2 points of CON damage; temporary). The rest of your comrades started bailing over the wall about 20-30 seconds ago.

When Borric steps away from the door it suddenly flies open and a swirling gust of wind laden with ice and snow bursts outward. Several seconds pass and eventually the slim feminine form clad in the filmy silk gown ducks through the door and she speaks in a lilting sing-song voice that nearly brings Borric to tears it's so beautiful and unearthly, "Why do you harm my servants, abduct my guests, and violate my hospitality? Throw down your rude implement, surrender or face my full wrath." She reaches up with her hand and starts to remove her mask . . . as if to punctuate her point, the pair of floating, flaming-blue swords rise and direct their points in your direction, and the first of the amazons, armed with shield and spear steps through the postern gate behind her.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"We came with no intention of harm, Lady. All we wanted was return one of our friends to their family. Things have escalated since then. It's a long tale and I know not if you'd care to hear it, but I shall tell it in full if I must."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Amon is on the verge of bailing over the wall when he looks back and sees Borric engaged in parley with The Lady . . .

nikolokolus

Arcane
Fuck, I'm the one who has to diplomacy now?:despair:
FWIW, you can always turn and run for the rope hanging over the wall. It's about 10 meters away, which is enough time to move and still act in a "round" before anything else happens.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The woman let's out a heavy sigh as Borric inches backward and hasn't yet dropped his weapon, "Very well . . ." She pulls off her mask, and . . .
Borric needs to make a Luck Roll to avoid looking at her, and so does Amon.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Luck roll [1d100] = 67

P. S. Weapon was never taken out considering I did no fighting.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Luck roll [1d100] = 67

P. S. Weapon was never taken out considering I did no fighting.
Sure, but you didn't drop it . . . Anyway.

Borric catches a glimpse of the woman's unearthly beauty and a feeling of wanting to serve and protect her begins to well up inside of him that he can barely resist. (Roll a 1d100)

nikolokolus

Arcane
and a feeling of wanting to serve and protect her begins to well up inside of him that he can barely resist. (Roll a 1d100
And if it fails, can I attempt to go berserk to counteract?
[1d100] = 82
sadly, no . . . you're fucking with next-level supernatural shit. You are/were opposing her unique Appearance-based ability with your Intelligence, which happened because you failed your Luck roll to avoid her gaze.
Borric feels all of the anxiety and tension drain out of him. An almost unbearable lightness of being overwhelms him and he suddenly realizes that threats are all around him; there are foes who threaten his mistress whom he has loved for . . . for . . . well, for as long as he can remember.
Sorry, Borric is effectively an NPC (for now). He is now motivated by an overwhelming desire to serve and protect The Lady, so if you want you can play it accordingly or I can take over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom