Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Does the name Pelagia mean aught to you? One of our comrades, a paladin, was searching for someone of that name."
Aphrodisias shakes her head, "No. I can't say it does, but it's a common enough name."
"We did speak to a Koren that was not our Koren. He was a younger mind, so his descriptions were dated. Curious how such magics were performed, but I'm no mage."
Aphrodisias twists the corners of her mouth looking a little uncertain how to proceed, "Uh . . . I don't know everything Koren did in his researches, but he once told me he had discovered certain 'contingencies' and that he thought he'd found a way to cheat death without necromancy. I never pressed him and he never revealed much more about it."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"He did day he sent a 'call' to his apprentices. He was concerned and surprised none of answered the call directly. Djivan sent me in his stead with scant information as to what to expect."

nikolokolus

Arcane
She nods, "I felt a pull, but nothing I couldn't resist and Ymae's magic compelled me to stay in any case. How Djivan subverted Koren's geas is beyond me though . . . that should not have been possible. Perhaps Abazion did something?"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"That's possible considering he killed Koren. I dound this scroll on a burned corpse outside the tower. Maybe you or Urash could decipher it. It gave me a head ache." Rhenmyr shows the scroll from the bone case.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ymae takes it and unfurls it, "It could take me some time to decipher it, but if you wish I can try."

New rules apply here on the deciphering of magic texts and other arcana. No more "read magic," it's a process of study that can take weeks. This is because there is no longer a magical language; every sorcerer writes notes and formulae to help them understand the spells they know that is highly personal, see pg. 100 in the rules, but this summarizes the process:
  • You must know the language the spell is written in. This requires a language roll.
  • For every three weeks of study roll INTx1% to see if the spell is deciphered.
  • This process doesn't erase the spell, but transcribes it to your grimoire
Reading a written spell directly from whatever it is written on, to "cast it" is different than transcription.
  • Roll a language roll to understand the words (if written in a language less than 60 percentiles)
  • Roll INTx3% to ensure proper interpretation of the symbology and hidden meanings buried in the arcane writing.
  • This casts the spell and wipes it from the written surface.
  • It consumes your magic points. If this drops you to zero you are knocked unconscious for an hour

L'ennui

Magister
"We left them behind when we ventured into the den of Blaidd Mawr. Our comrade here (Urash points at Rhenmyr) had a vision... it did not bode well for Fidadh and Oona. It spoke of terrible death."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"I believe I saw through Oona's eyes. Fidach was torn apart by two wolf men, Uvan and Rashid I presume, and Oona captured."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Aphrodisias narrows her eyes and purses her lips, "Sometimes a vision is of what may come to pass, not always what has come to pass. But . . . there may be a way to find out. I'm far too weary today to attempt any magicking, but come back tomorrow. If somebody can fetch something of Oona's -- something personal that would have meant a lot to her, or even better a hair, a nail clipping, etc. -- then I can be much more specific and learn a great deal more."

"Now then . . ." She stands up and rubs her temple with a forefinger, "It's been a very eventful day, and I'm very, very tired. If you absolutely have anything else you'd need to ask me now that can't wait until the morning then speak. Else, I'm going to bid you good afternoon, good evening and good 'morrow."

L'ennui

Magister
"Actually... before you retire, I would appreciate your appraisal of this artifact. It is a mystery to me... perhaps less so to you?"

Urash takes out the floating black orb from the pool in Blaidd Mawr's cave and shows it to Aphrodisias.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hey give me a second!

Marcán raises his eyebrows. "Well, Oona gave me this. It might help." Marcán places the infinity-shaped knot into the bowl before bidding the mage farewell.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Aphrodisias nods and motions to a wooden bowl on a small table. "Leave it if you wish; that too will take some study and I suspect I'll need your help as well."

She notes the infinity knot given to Marcán by Oona and smiles faintly, "very well, that might be just the thing."

And with that, an end to Swords & Wizardry and a continuation with Chaosium's Magic World (Stormbringer/Elric!) rules.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom