Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Planetary Annihilation: Titans Released

Ashery

Prophet
Perhaps they have realised this, their new kickstarter project claims to follow the pacing of a CnC game rather than that of a game in the TA tradition.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...me-by-uber-planetary-annihilation-devs.94512/
What is the pacing of a game "in the TA tradition", though? TA itself is one thing, but the SupComs have quite a different pacing.

As well as much less gratifying artillery.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.uberent.com/pa/2014/10/06/offline-play-coming-october-9/

OFFLINE PLAY IS COMING THIS OCTOBER 9

Online? Offline? However you want to play Planetary Annihilation, it’s your choice. Starting this week, you can take your battles completely offline.

We’re happy to announce the release of the offline server. Coming in an update this Thursday (October 9), offline server allows you to take over the galaxy in Galactic War without connecting to the Internet. You can also battle against your frenemies or the AI over a LAN.

DRM free offline play has always been an important feature of the Planetary Annihilation experience. Down the road, we’ll be adding the ability to run your own online servers as well.

As we’ve said in the past, launch is simply another phase of development and the beginning of another adventure. Look forward to another update on an exciting in-development feature in the near future.

Branm

Learned
Too add insult to injury the offline mode was only announced once people started bitching on their most recent kickstarters comments.

These guys are fucking scum...

Duke2010

Literate
I had this on beta. I like the concept but the game art killed it for me. All of the units look the same! Once you get up to any size it all becomes a nightmare to see whats going on, having to refer to the icons to tell what a unit is for.
Also from what I know they made a lot of effort to make this RTS different, to stop it being a case of build and rush. But to me it didn't work out like that, it feels the same old thing to me.

To be fair I didn't put that many hours into it because of the art issue. Its a shame, I really wanted to like the game but it just didn't grab me.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the few rounds I've played, it does not seem bad.
Definitely worth trying out.

Though I wish it had a proper campaign and / or tutorial.
And some features from SupCom are definitely needed (like factories supporting other factories).

The spheric map is a curious thing. You definitely have a harder time figuring out what is going on where, but then again, so does your opponent (if human).

The biggest downside for me is the "only one race/nation" thing. That is just a big no-no for RTS game, IMO.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can someone explain here why the game is bad and why the dev-team is scum? Genuinely wondering.
The first Supreme Commander game is popular with RTS fans and from what I can understand this game is supposed to be some sort of sequel? So why all the hate?
Have not followed the drama at all.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game is bad because it needs more time in all areas. Dev Team is scum because they promised too much on a tight Kickstarter business.

I see. The usual stuff then I guess. I was hoping for something more juicy :)

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I like the concept but the game art killed it for me. All of the units look the same! Once you get up to any size it all becomes a nightmare to see whats going on, having to refer to the icons to tell what a unit is for.
Also from what I know they made a lot of effort to make this RTS different, to stop it being a case of build and rush. But to me it didn't work out like that, it feels the same old thing to me.

To be fair I didn't put that many hours into it because of the art issue. Its a shame, I really wanted to like the game but it just didn't grab me.
Supreme Commander in a nutshell.

Johannes

Arcane
Maybe the whole interplanetary thing could've been done enjoyably. But the problem is they seemed to focus too little on that dimension. They just made stock RTS, put it on planets, and deleted the minimap. What they could'vev done is just go further with it - make the whole thing more focused on the hopping between different planets, changing their trajectories, maybe even limited space combat, but the travel and interaction between them doesn't seem to have come out very interesting at all in here - quite similar play from a strategic viewpoint could've been done with just hopping between islands in a traditional RTS. When the meat of the game is still controlling your economy and units in a similar way to SupCom or another basic RTS, the spherical worlds where you can't see shit at once are more an annoyance than anything.

And yeah fuck icon wars. It looks terrible.

Duke2010

Literate
Maybe the whole interplanetary thing could've been done enjoyably. But the problem is they seemed to focus too little on that dimension. They just made stock RTS, put it on planets, and deleted the minimap. What they could'vev done is just go further with it - make the whole thing more focused on the hopping between different planets, changing their trajectories, maybe even limited space combat, but the travel and interaction between them doesn't seem to have come out very interesting at all in here - quite similar play from a strategic viewpoint could've been done with just hopping between islands in a traditional RTS. When the meat of the game is still controlling your economy and units in a similar way to SupCom or another basic RTS, the spherical worlds where you can't see shit at once are more an annoyance than anything.

And yeah fuck icon wars. It looks terrible.

I Agree 100%. They really missed an opportunity because on paper this should have been the next big thing. You are totally right when it comes to the different planets. They wasted it.

So in conclusion only new and interesting thing about this game are planets instead of flat maps? Oh, wait Populous 3 already did it in 1998.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
No no. It also massively simplified build system, and made various options less interesting. (Perhaps it needs an expansion or something.)

DramaticPopcorn

2f7NBdm.png

:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom