Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Planetary Annihilation: Titans Released

Psquit

Arcane
Waaaay to much money for a beta.

Johannes

Arcane
They do have 5k+ beta testers from the KS already, so they're free to ask premium from the people who want in now.

I'll just wait and get the final product if it's well liked by smart people.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Anybody here playing the beta? How is it? It's not shit right? Right?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The same as in FAF, or supcom 2, aircraft are dominating landscape.

Endemic

Arcane
It was even worse in OTA as stealth fighters could shoot ground units.

FAF nerfed T3 air quite a bit in recent patches.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Preview: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-21-planetary-annihilation-early-access-review

Uber is saying that Planetary Annihilation is no longer in beta, but now in a stage beyond that they've rather coyly called "gamma" where a lot of tweaking and balancing is going to happen, as well as the addition of a few subtle but significant elements like deformable terrain, recoverable wreckage and the ability to set forest alight. Terrain manipulation will be welcome as, right now, the game's planets feel bare and tactically uninteresting.

While the odd mountain can offer a barrier, the only thing that really separates you from an enemy is distance. With few choke points and no need to fight over resources, territorial control and manoeuvring become largely irrelevant, making your job as a general less exciting. Many wars are won by intelligent and inventive strategic decisions, but here it's usually more important to simply dominate economically and thus numerically.

Planetary Annihilation is showing itself to be a brutal and uncompromising take on real-time strategy and, as it taps its way out of its shell, we see that its beak is sharp, its talons are cruel. It's a game that demands your full attention, a game that will reward dedication and diligence (providing you demonstrate enough of it) with the cool balm of victory.

Steel yourself. War on this sort of scale is not for the faint hearted.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Preview: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-21-planetary-annihilation-early-access-review

Uber is saying that Planetary Annihilation is no longer in beta, but now in a stage beyond that they've rather coyly called "gamma" where a lot of tweaking and balancing is going to happen, as well as the addition of a few subtle but significant elements like deformable terrain, recoverable wreckage and the ability to set forest alight. Terrain manipulation will be welcome as, right now, the game's planets feel bare and tactically uninteresting.

While the odd mountain can offer a barrier, the only thing that really separates you from an enemy is distance. With few choke points and no need to fight over resources, territorial control and manoeuvring become largely irrelevant, making your job as a general less exciting. Many wars are won by intelligent and inventive strategic decisions, but here it's usually more important to simply dominate economically and thus numerically.

Planetary Annihilation is showing itself to be a brutal and uncompromising take on real-time strategy and, as it taps its way out of its shell, we see that its beak is sharp, its talons are cruel. It's a game that demands your full attention, a game that will reward dedication and diligence (providing you demonstrate enough of it) with the cool balm of victory.

yeeeeah, i dunno about that "gamma" part. the game is halfway through alpha at best, as they say themselves a lot of the (promised) features are still missing, the performance is awful and the balance questionable. also there are considerable technological difficulties, especially on linux where the game plain doesn't run.

DeepOcean

Arcane

yeeeeah, i dunno about that "gamma" part. the game is halfway through alpha at best, as they say themselves a lot of the (promised) features are still missing, the performance is awful and the balance questionable. also there are considerable technological difficulties, especially on linux where the game plain doesn't run.
Are you a backer? How the game play like now? I only have their expected kinda biased opinions in their forums to judge if I should play this or not.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Are you a backer? How the game play like now? I only have their expected kinda biased opinions in their forums to judge if I should play this or not.
I didn't back but I did buy it when it was 50% off on steam. Game is not ready, potentially good though.

Ashery

Prophet
Holy shit....it still costs $49

...Because it hasn't been officially released yet?

Of all the ways to milk money from customers, charging more for early access is by far the least offensive.

L'ennui

Magister
How does the moving between planets work exactly right now?
You can build transport ships to cross the distance. Once you have a foothold there, you build a an instantaneous transporter device thing and you can freely move units from one planet to another as long as that transporter is standing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, it looks like this got some kind of huge update today.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/233250/announcements/detail/1299598934278866469

HUGE UPDATE. HUGE NEWS.

Today's update adds the first iteration of Galactic War, Planetary Annihilation's single-player experience. Available now as a free update, Galactic War tasks you with taking over a dynamic galaxy by scouring the stars for tech and special perks.

In Galactic War, you'll be placed in control of a reawakened Commander with access to a limited tech tree. As you explore and battle across the galaxy's procedurally generated systems, you'll collect random technology and find perks that boost your manufacturing and fighting capabilities.

We designed Galactic War to be replayable, and for every playthrough to feel different. We also want you to decide the scale and intensity: each of Galactic War's sizes change how many systems are in the galaxy and introduce different loadouts.

And the pressure's on because annihilation is final.

Enjoy Galactic War over and over again, and give us your feedback on the forums or social media. Have fun!

Game is on 40% sale.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
8YeSQ.png

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I bought it this week and played about an hour. Basically, if you enjoyed Supreme Commander you'll probably enjoy this.

Someone else can probably do a bit more in-depth comparison, because I never played SupCom that much so I can only remember the basics.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Im really surprised you guys are so optimistic about this game, from what I read its quite horrible atm and shows little promise.

Main accusations here are lack of units, lack of units diversity, tier 2 units being obviously superior to tier 1, maps being completely flat and lacking features, lack of sensible AI, lack of balance (air power once again reigns supreme) and clunky controls. And mainly the fact that the game makes little to no progress in improving and jumps from alpha to beta to gamma still make it feel like early beta or alpha.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It's shaping up to be an interplanetary SupCom. I don't really know what else do you expect of it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom