Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planet Coaster - a new theme park sim from Frontier

:Flash:

Arcane
According to the LGR review, no one can die in the game, so it's not just gore, the concept of people dying and negatively affecting the reputation of your park doesn't exist. Even if you produce the most horrible crash, people will vomit at worst, and they're happy again if you give them a free balloon.

Last edited:
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Agree that there's no real challenge, similar to Cities: Skylines; you can make the type of profit that'll secure your future very early on and you'd have to make some monumental fuck-ups from there to ruin the fact. The method's even available on the hardest difficulty within five minutes of play.

That and what simulation aspects it does have are rather tedious to work with (ie staff training requires you to go to staff 1x1 to train them / alter their pay, and each individual hire has their own constraint on when they can be trained).

It does at least have the fun of trying to figure out layouts (including scenery/prop placement) and roller-coaster designs for maximising appeal/profit, it's just that there's not even close to a necessity for doing so. Like in Cities: Skylines, efficiency is purely for the sake of being efficient.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Guys I'm having more fun with this than any other game I've played in YEARS. I've had it for like 4 days now and I've no-lifed 20 hours into it already.

Basically; my rides are fuckin' lit fam.

For me, the challenge is more about designing an aesthetically pleasing park. I think you need to use imagination to get the most out of this game. Kinda like minecraft I guess.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

I have a GTX 750Ti and haven't had any issues yet with graphics on Ultra. My park has 2,000 guests right now with TONS of scenery.

I think there needs to be some understanding that when you're in sandbox mode with Max graphics settings and you have a massive park with 10,000+ guests (as these guys are reporting), FPS isn't going to be at 60 unless you have a NASA computer.

These people could probably lower shadows to high or something and be just fine, or just put up with the 40 FPS they're getting, but you know graphics whores..

BTW RCT3 capped out at like 4k visitors in parks so 10k++++ is a huge upgrade.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Yea I like the scenarios. Got caught up in the big tree one. Here's what I got so far:

jr34kp6.jpg

The coasters are cool but water ride is my best thing yet.

2BpCdLe.jpg

t4yBLVX.jpg

XK84zZ4.jpg

2TfgV6D.jpg

aG0Apxe.jpg

e4ysIP8.jpg

Ix1TcmT.jpg

T8Z2h1p.jpg

60oM4aI.jpg

vKvWBKE.jpg

jrhczKL.jpg

2TMax8P.jpg
1b5xbZU.jpg
PqFfHvl.jpg
My91tPi.jpg
m4Mle0V.jpg
CRVXyXV.jpg
2hrUzu4.jpg
l47bteD.jpg
5XKSBXF.jpg
dxVH5JU.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some fun drama here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...r-sues-rollercoaster-tycoon-world-maker-atari

Planet Coaster dev Frontier sues RollerCoaster Tycoon World maker Atari
Over unpaid royalties.

Frontier Developments, the maker of Planet Coaster and Elite Dangerous, is suing Atari, the company behind RollerCoaster Tycoon World.

TMZ, which broke the news, reports Frontier claims it's owed $2.2m in royalties by Atari over 2004's RollerCoaster Tycoon 3.

Frontier said it amended its contract for RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 after Atari went bankrupt in 2013, and "another website", perhaps SteamSpy, revealed higher sales figures than previously thought. So, Frontier worked out it should have received $3.37m in royalties from Atari, but got only $1.17m. And, Frontier says, Atari delayed when it was asked for an audit of its sales report.

"Frontier got fed up and is now suing to get the rest of their dough," TMZ said. In a statement to Eurogamer, Frontier confirmed the action.

Here's Frontier chief operating officer David Walsh:

"We can confirm Frontier is currently pursuing a complaint against Atari. We have attempted to resolve this issue without legal action since April 2016. We have so far been denied our contractual right to audit by Atari, and we are unfortunately left with no other way to resolve our concerns. We are unable to offer any further comment while the matter is subject to due legal process."

The lawsuit comes after Frontier went head to head with Atari late in 2016 when it released Planet Coaster, which is very good, in direct competition with RollerCoaster Tycoon World, which is very bad. For many, there was only one winner.

It's worth noting that the RollerCoaster Tycoon franchise is not owned by Atari, but by designer Chris Sawyer, who created the first two much-loved games in the series. Sawyer owns the RollerCoaster Tycoon IP and trademarks, and licenses to Atari the rights to create and market new RollerCoaster Tycoon games.

Back in 2007, Atari and Sawyer were embroiled in a lawsuit that involved Frontier. It was said that Frontier had developed an enhanced version of RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, which it intended to license to a third-party purchaser. Atari claimed Sawyer was in breach of contract by assisting Frontier in this, and sued Sawyer for damages. The dispute ended with an out of court settlement.

Perhaps this one will go the same way.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
It's one of that games for "Special" people, where watching how your park functions is more important that actually building the park or working towards establishing park's functionality and financial capability.
In other words, it's a screensaver for 60$ and all who buys it deserve it for their sins.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Had to uninstall this because it's too addictive. Played for like 12 hours straight and had a headache all day.

This is like my dream game but if I keep playing it'll ruin my life.

My park was fucking amazing though.

BTW check this out:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom