Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape Torment walkthrough - no longer a virgin

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
You've been playing this for over 3 months. Are you playing it 4 hours a week? If so, don't you find it hard to keep getting back into the story, keep breaking it up like that?

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
You've been playing this for over 3 months. Are you playing it 4 hours a week? If so, don't you find it hard to keep getting back into the story, keep breaking it up like that?

Nearly. But I genuinely find the whole universe incredibly fascinating. I do a lot of background reading. It's very new to me.

After this, first, play through, I plan on playing again.

Typing is taking a long time plus my son beat me up and took the PC.

And I wasn't well for a while!

The game is something else, can't remember anything else like it.

WTF happened? Where did it go wrong? Where is PST2 and PST3.

Prime Junta

WTF happened? Where did it go wrong? Where is PST2 and PST3.

It's not the kind of game that welcomes sequels. Or even spiritual successors. If there will be another Torment, I doubt it'll be advertised as such.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, there will be Torment: Tides of Numenera next year... but let's see if this spiritual successor lives up to the expectations. It sure has some big shoes to fill...

Neanderthal

Arcane
I'd recommend Betrayal at Krondor and Arcanum for ambitious uniqueness that pushed boundaries, an both have surprises that really mindfuck you.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I'd recommend Betrayal at Krondor and Arcanum for ambitious uniqueness that pushed boundaries, an both have surprises that really mindfuck you.

Betrayal at Kronder is one of those games I have unfinished business with. If I remember correctly it came on about 50 disks and took a very long time to install.

I remember this quite vividly as I took it around to a cousin to install on his PC and the guy wasn't impressed with it all.

I had quite strong feelings towards the game and reckon, like a girlfriend, I gave up on it too easily.

One day though I might meet her for coffee. I think GOG can arrange something.

Nearly finished PST now I reckon.

Pallebahtep

Novice
This is the best play through thread I have had the pleasure of reading. Your writing is excellent sir and your observations are insightful. Have you written other ones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Complex. Mind blowing. Staggering.

If PST was a spiders web it would be a web spun by 100,000 different species and sizes. All doing their own thing but somehow connecting to each other. It would involve spiders from other worlds too, like those from Dr Who, Lord of the Rings and that creepy spider from Stephen King's IT. Even that strange spider creature from Lost in Space (modern update).

latest

The web they would be one of the greatest creations in all time and space. It would be in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy with it's own section. In fact you probably could not describe the scope in 2D graph or even 3D as Time would need to be an element of it.

Then what about places like Limbo where even the material is not material? Where matter can be changed?

I reckon even the writers of the game could not really understand the entirety. The more you play the more questions you need to ask. THERE ARE ALWAYS QUESTIONS.

One aspect is your character. For a while I was trying to map out a time line for THO. I think it can't be done. Either it is too complex in scope due to the very large number of lives of TNO or that the writers couldn't and didn't trace back all the references and ensured they made sense.

Dhall has protected your secret, but how old is he? Has he always been the scribe in the Mortuary. If TNO is older would another scribe had been protecting my secret of immortality? The scribe before Dhall?

Sere the Skeptic said Dhall was her instructor. Was he both scribe and instructor or was he promoted? Is TNO or Dhall older? I NEED TO KNOW.

I basically need to know everything. I have a huge appetite for answers.

Did Morte kill the original me or a reincarnation? Did I arrange that as a trap so I could use Morte in the future?
When did I serve in the Blood War?
I want to know everything about the Blood War.
When did I first meet Ravel?
How did seeking immortality help me escape the price of my crimes?
When did I kill my old teacher in the Clerks Ward? What were those languages?
Am I older than the Silent King?
What the heck was that stone wall face of dividing in the Alley of Lingering Sighs?
What was the point of that section. What about that gate and house I couldn't get access to.

A recent one not mentioned in this thread yet, is if there was no way back once entering the prison area of Curst. How did the prisoners escape? WHY DIDN'T I FOLLOW THEM!!

Why am I disappointed that I have not met Trist and Xanthia again. I was looking for them in the Clerks Ward for a while.

3DAA993893044A12859AB5077F26330FE1CB8693

Isn't Annah a bit young to be a love interest. I suppose I would engage (in some flirting) if I played the game in 1999. But even if I had back then it would have been at the limits of what is acceptable. Would have been around 30 ish back then. IT'S ONLY A GAME. I can't even talk to Annah. Just in case my daughter walks into the room.

That probably explains why I would prefer to snog Ravel than anyone else.

ONE OF THE BIGGER ONES.

AM I ZERTHIMON?

It's driving me mad.

ANOTHER BIG ONE.

What can change the nature of a man?

When Ravel asked me that question I thought about it for a long time. There was no *right* answer, only my answer. The question got me thinking about my actions. My search to be a mage. Then my search to to be *good*. My overall quest for answers.

It came clear to me at that moment there was no incarnations. Just me. It had always been me. Morte said one of my incarnations was a cruel, evil, scum motherfucker. It was always me but the differences have been perception or how history has been recorded.

Just thinking about what Lord Azlan incarnation has done. How many people I had killed. How many lives have I destroyed. I have spread mayhem and murder everywhere I go. I can't help it. Some records might suggest my actions were evil and others made me into a hero. So I answered:

NOTHING CAN CHANGE THE NATURE OF A MAN, RAVEL.

You are who you are.

Back to the timeline question.

From the Necromancer's journal in the Mausoleum:

Day 14 of the 127th Year of Factol Hashkar's reign:

After days of taxing divination spells, I finally have my answers. The divination revealed the location of an immortal to be somewhere within an ancient Mausoleum located in the Hive section of Sigil. I must make haste. I must find this creature and draw its blood before it moves on.

Day 14 of the 127th Year of Factol Hashkar's reign.

WE NEED MORE DATES. WHY DO WE HAVE TIME AND NO DATES. WHY DOES MY JOURNAL ONLY SAY DAY 1 and DAY 2 etc. WHAT ABOUT THE DATES?

Does Lord Azlan's play through count as one incarnation or do I +1 every time I die.

Hang on, "Day 14 of the 127th Year of Factol Hashkar's reign" is a fixed point in time and space. I could use it to work out a timeline. Hmmm.

Back to reality then..

There is a lot of death and a lot of loot dropped. Prisoners run to the exit as fast as they can.

We, well I, I ponder on what I had just done. I had just set free all the criminals from a top maximum security prison from Curst.

It's a gate town on the brink. I was told there was a plague. It has probably never been weaker. And I just released all its prisoners and probably pushed it over the edge. How would history record that about the Azlan reincarnation?

Here goes Princes Irulan note in Dune:

In the 127th Year of Factol Hashkar a mysterious scarred man appeared at the gates of Curst as the town was on the brink of collapse. The man insidiously made his way through the administrators and guards and made his way to the prison hidden underneath the town and unleashed hell from below.

project_dune___princess_irulan_corrino_by_nagisadreamer-d6glzgz.jpg

Yeah. I did not realise what I was doing until all hell break loose. I was warned though.

What else could I do? Was there another choice?

We travel back around to Trias and strike a clean blow against the chains that kept him prisoner. He is free!

8190773B6D65FB08AFA3FE92DE9626A56EA9EFE0

The blade disappears from my hands. Trias approaches me for the first time, his badly burned wings flutter a little. I am glad I help this divine angel. I can't imagine that his crime deserved such a fate.

Trias: "Do you seek power over the minds of your fellow mortals? Do you hope for wishes to be granted? Do you want wealth? Do you seek more souls to torment?"

It a strange line of questions and it startles me for a bit. Do I seek more souls to Torment? I explain I only want knowledge, not any power or wealth.

I WISH TO RECLAIM MY MORTALITY

Trias: "You speak foolishness. Yet...there is one who might be able to help you with what you seek. It is a fiend, named Fhjull Forked-Tongue. He shall aid you. He is under an obligation to do charity"

Trias lips quirk into a small strange smile as he explains. As if he knows a secret that I have yet to find out. How do I find this charity doer?

Tris: "There lies a portal to the North of this prison. Its key is a broken chain link. Take this shattered link of the chain that imprisoned me. An appropriate key for one who seeks to leave Curst"

The angel bids me farewell. It is strange as I thought he would say more to someone that freed him. Ravel sent me to him saying he could help me. But Trias simply passed me on to ANOTHER PERSON. Someone called "Forked-Tongue".

I have some small doubts but Trias is not waiting for further chit chat. With a look up towards the ceiling of the Prison and probably beyond up to the town itself, he leaps and plunges into the earth above and disappears like a diver into the ocean.

To the North East I did find a locked gate but I now have the key.

19AB5C77019284E49E354F759EEB38921E4F4E07

However, just before I go through I think I see something else. Someones feet?

Is there another person in this prison?

It's dark but not scary. We just go a bit further and it becomes clear.

718AC4A3FB29B827F3DC37EE2383830F7AEE191C

It's not a person but a suit of armour. A giant suit of armour sort of hanging in the air or waiting for something? The suit of armour holds an giant evil looking double-edge executioners blade in its hands. Gulp.

I get closer to take a better look. To inspect the armour. To take the armour. To take the axe. Lovely expensive looking loot.

Then a memory stirs. Or is it an automated reflection. A name comes to me..

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Wow, Princess Irulan Corrino in a manga version... that's not something I expected to see. Well, Internet is apparently full of wonders.

It's good you have questions. I think I can help you with 1 at least.
Immortality allowed TNO espace the price for his crimes, as if he never truely dies, he doesn't belong to the afterlife. Where he has a special spot reserved...

Also, I don't think he's Zerthimon.
But, since you've studied his teachings, do make use of the knowledge you've got from them. There was one humble spell in particular... with some sick scaling for double digit level mages...

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
This is the best play through thread I have had the pleasure of reading. Your writing is excellent sir and your observations are insightful. Have you written other ones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many thanks for your comment. Never wrote a play through before - some reviews on my Steam profile. Wrote a few things about WL2 and Alpha Protocol on these forums.

Just tried to be honest on this thread as I was, frankly, a bit of a sceptic regarding this particular game. Very surprised how it has turned out so far.

I tried to play the game for the 3rd time a few years back and one of the things that put me off then was the back story about various planes and I just thought then the game would be too complicated.

Turns out I can't get enough of that stuff now. Just lapping it all up and doing my own research outside the game.

Prime Junta

JUST GIVE ME ONE MORE LIKE SIGIL. PLEASE!

No.

Seriously, dial down your expectations. There's nothing like Sigil in PS:T or any other game. They ran out of steam.

I will be quite curious to read your reactions to the endgame. Gameplay-wise it's gonna be a slog from here on out, but there are other rewards...

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Wow, that's a lot of lore...
This really is a great "Let's play" topic. I am enjoying it immensly.

And you're right the scope and quality of the post-Sigil content does plummet. Still I love this game and am impressed with what the developers achieved anyway.

Prime Junta

I think it could have been great but tends to be confusing. I still have not understood how the interface works and do spell casters take turns in combat or even how it works. I realize now that some spells work on a location so if you cast some SPELL OF DEATH it can completely miss the targets because those hell creatures have rapidly closed the distance between you and are now scratching your eyes out. Meanwhile your spell hits empty air.

PS:T doesn't have the best D&D spell implementation but it works well enough. Targeting your AoEs is part of the challenge.

Interruptions. I have now seen even the mightiest spell caster can be prevented from casting a simple light spell if he is under attack! It feels lame but I assume the way magic system was designed was to reflect D&D rules or something. Therefore mages are very weak under melee. It is a problem as TNO is always at the front of the party.

Yup, that's how it works. If you're playing a mage TNO you do have to shuffle your characters around so he can cast in peace. Also a part of the challenge. Note that you can also use it to your advantage -- interrupting enemy mages to stop them from casting is very important.

I think I would have preferred a turn based approach like they did in D:OS. I think the magic combat in PST would have been completely awesome. I say this because I just can't believe how much effort the developers put into the visual effects of various spells. It is competent stuff and a shame then when magic can't be used properly. One thing THEY DON'T DO ANYMORE IN RPG, in relation to that other thread by felipepepe, is memorizing spells.

That crap is so 1980s. I think I hate it. Might be true to D&D. Pools of Radiance and Eye of the Beholder and a bunch of games had all that crap. I think it really limits PST. Dungeon Master, which has always been the SUPERIOR CRAWLER did not limit magic in this way. Magic was limited by your mana pool.

:mob:
Vancian casting is one of the best things ever for cRPGs. It forces you to manage your resources strategically: which spends less resources, casting a spell or taking more damage since you didn't cast it?

tl;dr play better

Or, put another way: PS:T is pretty easy if you've played some of the other IE games, notably IWD and/or BG2. If it's your first dip into the IE games or RTwP DnD in general it's... well, challenging and confusing.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
So, what comes to mind when you are about to visit hell?

F

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom