Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape: Torment retrospective

SymbolicFrank

Magister
PS:T was the first and last game about which I produced (a lot of) fan art.

After playing it, I couldn't express how extremely great it was in any other way. It filled my life. I was thinking about it all the time, I wrote stories about it all the time, I was dreaming about it every night.

Compared with my second and third choices, probably Deus Ex and Morrowind, although there are many other games, like Fallout Tactics and even something like Manic Miner that want a place in that top three, there is little competition. There is PS:T first, then quite a bit of nothing, and then all the others.

So, how does it replay?

Hm. Not so great. It's like The Longest Journey (also going for a top-three spot): the first time it's the journey of a lifetime, but the second time you know up front what is going to happen.

I still replay Deus Ex, Morroiwind and Fallout Tactics regularly. But for PS:T and TLJ, I open a walkthrough, because I cannot be bothered to run around ad nausea and ask everyone everything all the time. Multiple times, even.

It's not that I don't have the time or patience, It's just: seen it, done that.

For a new version, I would want many different story lines, all with separate plots and factions, and cumulating in different endings.

The difference doesn't have to be huge, as long as it is consistent and believable.

Oh, and I skip most of the text by now. I tend to read only the highlights. And i'ts not that I play it so often that I remember it all that well. Just that I know the setting, and it takes too much time.

Not that voiced conversations would be an improvement: They are far simpler, but take even much more time.

Be to the point and offer more options. But please be exceptional and excessive!

Ivan

Arcane
how do you guys pronounce Morte? I heard Colin say it "mor-dee" and I started and was like WRONG

Beastro

Arcane
how do you guys pronounce Morte? I heard Colin say it "mor-dee" and I started and was like WRONG
Morte is the Italian word for Death, http://www.google.it/url?q=http://w...SF-hGQ&usg=AFQjCNFFV4V41oOmDftI0fppTdEaYKvFaA listen to the pronunciation.

I win!

I still say Mort, since it's the God given right of everyone of British descent to mangle foreign words in whatever way they choose (Though I pronounce them the "right" British way).

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
So basically, the text-only fan art is fan fiction? :lol:

And here I was looking forward to something like this:

A7ZZMau.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom