Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Planescape: Torment has bad writing

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't Rothfuss work on Numenera? I doubt he'd do that if he didn't like the original.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If this was a serious discussion, I'd have said Tolkien would've liked PS:T because it aligns a lot with his aesthetic and literary goals. Not in a mythopoeic sense because it didn't create the setting, but with the applicability and universality of its themes.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
He was young. He didn't understand what good writing was at the time.

Seriously though, compare his work with Planescape. No flowery prose, no psuedo-intellectual bullshit, and his writing doesn't look like he was hovering over a thesaurus the whole time. In other words - not shit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I do actually read fantasy novels every once in awhile. Always start with the best.
Hahahaha clearly not,you just copy pasted the most famous,hardly the best one. Taste in fantasy books or in any books is very subjective,a real person that likes reading will not just splash all the famous authors and call them the best. A real person will say that he likes most of them,loves a few of them and can't stand X while saying that he really likes some more niche author. I doubt that you have even read any of those authors you little slimy pile of shit!

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Safav Hamon I was trying to stay neutral during your arguing about writing, but after you said that PST had bad story and writing...I hope that you troll people, because if it's isn't trolling...Well I guess my condolences to you, with such taste in writing any game cannot bring the joy to you and your existence is suffering. Jesus Christ what a shitty day, saw today some idiot who compared Fallout 3 with 1-2 and said that 1-2 was worse. And now THIS bullshit about PST having bad story.

How about you stop talking about shit you don't know about??? Go emigrate to germany and enjoy the high life of a toilet cleaner!
I living in Eastern Europe and I perfectly know how governments brainwash people to believe that they living in wonderland. So how about you shut up with your propaganda and stop sending people in Germany just because that you childishly refuse to acknowledge problems of region? It's will be better for everyone.
What Eastern European country are you from? Bulgaria is literally the worst economically from all of them.

Russia,I know many brainwashed cunts told to you that this country is a living wonderland, but in reality situation so bad that many people trying to emigrate at any cost (Mexican emigrants are fucking amateurs in comparison). I can feel like thousands retards coming to defend this shithole, because according media owned by government it's good country and I should refuse to believe my eyes and listen only to their lies.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I'll make one final post for now. Planescape sold poorly at release because the writing style was bad and the gameplay sucked. A few uncultured hipster nerds started declaring it a masterpiece a decade later, and now it has an overhyped legacy that doesn't match up to reality.

The realty is, if Planescape came out today the same people in this thread defending it would be calling it shit. They would accuse it of being amateur, pretentious, and boring. Don't act like it isn't true either.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
STOP! posting already you idiots
Then give us the review so we could have something to talk about!
:martini:

soon-very-soon-17927724.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why play a crappy visual novel, when you could read a much better fantasy series instead?
Because I want to experience the story of PST?

You will find thousands of novels with better writing and no shitty combat sprinkled in. I'd argue the same for games too, because Planescape's superfluous pretentious writing is on the lower end of the spectrum.

Maybe you didn't understand what I said. I want to experience the story of Planescape Torment. Not another fantasy story, but the story of PST. Also, playing a game always enhances the experience of a story, that is one of the big adventage of the medium. Even a mediocre story can feel like a great experience, because through playing, you get invested in the characters and the story bits.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Seriously though, compare his work with Planescape. No flowery prose, no psuedo-intellectual bullshit, and his writing doesn't look like he was hovering over a thesaurus the whole time. In other words - not shit.
I exploded, my voice a roll of thunder.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Nah, don't engage him anymore, we've thoroughly disproved all the points he makes and he defaults to his usual trolling.

Rinslin Merwind, Russia isn't in Eastern Europe.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
. Also, playing a game always enhances the experience of a story, that is one of the big adventage of the medium. Even a mediocre story can feel like a great experience, because through playing, you get invested in the characters and the story bits.

Okay, I'll make one other post. I agree with you, J_C

A mediocre story can be elevated through the medium of the game. What makes Planescape so terrible is that it tries to be more of a visual novel/JRPG than a game, but its amateurish writing isn't good enough to hold it together.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Nah, don't engage him anymore, we've thoroughly disproved all the points he makes and he defaults to his usual trolling.

You haven't disproven any of my points. What you guys have done is autistically screech at me to stop posting, because you don't like to hear what I'm saying. Most likely because you know it's true.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I'll make one final post for now. Planescape sold poorly at release because the writing style was bad and the gameplay sucked. A few uncultured hipster nerds started declaring it a masterpiece a decade later, and now it has an overhyped legacy that doesn't match up to reality.

The realty is, if Planescape came out today the same people in this thread defending it would be calling it shit. They would accuse it of being amateur, pretentious, and boring. Don't act like it isn't true either.
Ok, now I see you are really trolling people, I can hear anal explosion from half population of Codexers.

Maybe you didn't understand what I said. I want to experience the story of Planescape Torment. Not another fantasy story, but the story of PST. Also, playing a game always enhances the experience of a story, that is one of the big adventage of the medium. Even a mediocre story can feel like a great experience, because through playing, you get invested in the characters and the story bits.
Agreed, I think Safav just trolling, don't mind him. I really like story in PST, it's really different from many games and this makes it more attractive.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected

Okay, I'll make one other post. I agree with you, J_C

A mediocre story can be elevated through the medium of a game. What makes Planescape so terrible is that it tries to be more of a visual novel/JRPG than a game, but its amateurish writing isn't good enough to hold it together.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
He was young. He didn't understand what good writing was at the time.

Rhotfuss is in his late 40s pal, he was probably older when he played Planescape than you are now. Quit talking out of your ass. Whatever legitimate argument you might have had, you've destroyed it yourself by being a thick fuckstick.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You haven't disproven any of my points. What you guys have done is autistically screech at me to stop posting, because you don't like to hear what I'm saying. Most likely because you know it's true.

Oh, quite the contrary, we have annihilated anything you have said thus far. To the point of you digging yourself deeper with every post because you actually have no idea what you are talking about; have the nerve to claim to speak for authors whose aesthetic goals you know nothing about and can be proven wrong straight from the horse's mouth; and the history of video games and game critique being entirely contrary to what you say. And even then, you have made no coherent points at all. I do like a contrarian opinion, but not when it's demonstrably stupid and pointless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom