Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Released

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Zanzoken Savant

Zanzoken
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Doesn't David Gaider work there now? They are probably working on a new IP similar to Dragon Age or Pillars.

• decline decline x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :hmmm:

[​IMG]

You're alright, Beamdog.

As an aside, whatever they've got cooking D&D wise better be more Neverwinter Nights than Baldur's Gate because by the looks of it the isometric market for RPGs has capped.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Crolug Educated

Crolug
    Parrots:
    As I stated somewhere before - I wouldn't buy it for 20 bucks. But I bought it for $8 on GOG and after a few hours played I can confirm it was money well spent.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again ManjuShri Arcane

ManjuShri
    Parrots:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Lady Error Arcane

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    That guy is a genius:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Twiglard Learned

Twiglard
    Parrots:
    From <https://www.beamdog.com/planescape_faq#12>:

Waste of time even torrenting it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Electryon Learned

Electryon
    Parrots:
    I'm not sure why people can't get it through their thick skulls that there are plenty of people in the world who don't want to mod Baldur's Gate or Planescape for 30 minutes after installing it, and THAT is the audience for these Enhanced Editions. The old versions are part of the package on GOG, so who gives a shit??

• Agree x 3
    • Up Yours x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    This is the best thing I've seen in a while.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Drog Black Tooth Arcane

Drog Black Tooth
    Parrots:
    Noice, I should really buy it. Fixed bugs + proper high res UI + no more motherfucking graphics glitches/lags.

No excuse to not buy it really. It's only $7 on Steam if you have an ex-USSR/CIS bank card, BTW.

• decline decline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Black Angel Scholar

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    Fixed.

People who don't want to pay twice the price just because there's now EE label next to the game's name, nor even wanted the EE in the first place.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. United Nations Legion

United Nations
    Parrots:
    This is incredible.

What a good use of this man's spare time.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Electryon Learned

Electryon
    Parrots:
    Who the hell on Earth who wanted it hasn't bought the original Torment off GOG during one of the dozen or so sales it's been a part of in the last 4 or 5 years?? More to the point, not WANTING to mod the game isn't the same as not being able to. But beyond that, do you honestly think most people picking up Torment for the first time have even the faintest fucking clue what WeiDU is, or what modding communities to visit to get the 5 or 6 ones necessary to get it to EE standards. Those of us who live in the RPG bubble can do it no problem, sure. So don't fucking buy the new one. Your original Torment didn't disappear from your GOG library. You can mod the thing to your heart's content.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • M'lady M'lady x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Black Angel Scholar

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    People who bought the CD/bought it day one, but their copy doesn't work anymore, and for some reason doesn't know the digital version exist in GOG? And maybe cRPG newfags who discovered they have love for top-down, isometric cRPGs when they begin their gaming experince (like me). Yeah, there's people like that. I know, unbelievable, right?

It's literally few clicks of a mouse and some buttons on the keyboard. It's THAT fucking easy. Basically you're paying someone to click the mouse a few times and some buttons on the keyboard for, what, an extra 10 bucks?

Like I said, retards gonna retard.

This is an age of information and google. Like I said, it's literally few clicks of mouse and keyboard buttons.

Again, how about people who discovered their love for top-down, isometric cRPGs at this point in time?

Hell, I'd admit, having only begin playing top-down isometric cRPGs at the end of 2015, I'm kind of disappointed that I can't get my hands on the original cut of both Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2.

Torrents exist, yes, but I'd like to give money to GOG for preserving some good old games.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    So let me get this straight; they added a fixed UI, Fixpack, some bug fixes and called it a day? So no new intro, no new chars or quests?
    On paper it sounds even commendable but then again why do it on the first place save for people who just want to install the game and play it, who might not have the time or interests for mods...
    Have to say I still think Trento and his band of hacks are no good motherfuckers but still that sounds ok I guess

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Electryon Learned

Electryon
    Parrots:
    You can get your hands on the old versions of Baldur's Gate. They come with the EE if you buy it on GOG. Same goes for Icewind Dale. And right now all 3 of them are roughly $5 apiece.

^ Top  
  16. Black Angel Scholar

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    Except, I don't want to pay for the EE, too. I want ONLY JUST the Original Cut.

^ Top  
  17. t Arcane Patron

t
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    More expensive than before and money goes to beamdog.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Crolug Educated

Crolug
    Parrots:
    Seriously man, if you're trying to say you don't own PST yet I suggest you get the hell out of here, for your own sake.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Electryon Learned

Electryon
    Parrots:
    Then your beef is with Wizards of the Coast, who would have the absolute final say in this. Also, I had no idea $2 was breaking the bank around here. Because of this change you can now buy exactly one less 20 oz. soda than you could before.

^ Top  
  20. fluent Arbiter Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

fluent
    Parrots:
    Not only what Electryon is saying, but Beamdog actively supporting the EE ensures it will be supported, patched and taken care of going forward. No one will have to rely on a patchwork modded version that had to cobble together while simultaneously crossing their fingers hoping it will continue to work with outdated user mods. If you don't think that service alone is worth an extra $10 then I don't know what to say to you. That's not even considering the updates they've done to the game, the improvements and the sheer fact that people are talking about, playing and hyped up again for Planescape Fucking Torment. Do you think that bodes well for future CRPGs like it, perhaps? Hmm?

• retadred x 6
    • Disagree x 2
    • Nuke it from orbit x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. t Arcane Patron

t
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    How about 67% price increase? Also good that you recognized that the argument about money going to beamdog is valid.

^ Top  
  22. Make America Great Again Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Parrots:
    Given you never played PST before the EE came out, where do you get this stuff about 'crossing fingers' and comparisons of the versions from?

^ Top  
  23. fluent Arbiter Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

fluent
    Parrots:
    I've seen screenshots of the modded version at high resolution. The UI is not suitable at high res as it becomes tiny, much like the NWN UI does. There also is no mod that I'm aware of that adds TAB highlighting, a zoom function or a searchable journal, to name a few.

I've also modded plenty of other games with user mods and know how that goes. The mods for older games are generally older mods that are no longer supported, and many times you do have to cross your fingers and hope your game doesn't crash or introduce some new compatability issue. It's called Modding Hell for a reason. I should know, I've been there. Several times. I am a Planeswalker. :)

But beyond that, unless you are suggesting that using a variety of user mods cobbled together on your own is more stable than a professional retooling, packaging and supporting of the game like what Beamdog does, I'm going to just have to disagree based on personal experience. And I don't think you would suggest using old user mods would be more future-proofed for future operating systems updates as well, either, right? The whole customer support thing helps, too, so while Beamdog does use mods in their build (yes, I am aware they used that fellow's mod package in the EE) they also actively support them, so if you have an issue they will answer you and help you. They will also patch the game as well. Seems like a very good deal to me.

And if you still think all of that isn't worth an extra $10, then I again point you to the fact that we are discussing PS:T in 2017, and many people on Steam are doing the same. That alone is a great thing for CRPG culture. More of these EEs generates more discussion about the classics + generates public awareness of CRPGs = more CRPGs for us in the future. It's a pretty simple concept.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    • Shit x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Black Angel Scholar

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    I already own it. Hell, even though I've already got a modded torrented version, I still downloaded the installer before the EE is fully released.

I'm merely speaking on behalf of those who've only discovered their love for Top-Down, Isometric cRPGs (and cRPGs in general) at around this point in time, and maybe in the future. Like I said, I've only began playing cRPGs at the end of 2015 with Underrail, and I can't overemphasize how disappointed I am that I can't get my hands on the Original Cut of Baldur's Gate I and II, the legal way, without having to pay for the EE content.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Sacibengala Educated

Sacibengala
    Parrots:
    Icewind dale enhanced edition last patch was from 2015. Nice support for sure.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)