Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

Lostpleb

Learned
So they will just give a widescreen option, which you can get for free using ghostdog's resolution patch and custom UI. This is the biggest ripoff from Beamdog yet.

But MCA named a button!!!

:d1p:
That was actually the most interesting point on the list. No kidding, I wish that the writers of the industry had the freedom to add little touches like that on a more regular basis.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
Oh my... is there any possibility you could release the original soundtrack in a lossless format? Right now they are only available as 192kbps mp3 (as GOG extras).

Yes, you can get a FLAC version of the soundtrack on Steam and Beamdog.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So, I can't already buy original PST on GoG right?

Also this

1. Restored Able Ponder-Thought Research
95% of what's necessary to have Able Ponder-Thought conduct research on three subjects for you is in the original game files. This component completes it. As of version 3.0, it will simply take roughly 20 game hours for Able to complete his research.
One of my playthrough stopped when I met some githzerai and he told something about he hunt TNO dreams from some dream plane, he only need money and few days, something like that.
I paid but he did't show up, so I guessed it was some unfinished quest.
It is it?

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Oh my... is there any possibility you could release the original soundtrack in a lossless format? Right now they are only available as 192kbps mp3 (as GOG extras).

FWIW, the biggest problem with high bit-rate MP3 encoding is that it applies a frequency cutoff at 16 kHz by default. If you're a nerd about music fidelity and rip your own shit, modify your LAME encorder (or whatever) settings to capture the full 22.1 kHz/channel (i.e. CD-quality frequency spectrum). The 'low quality' you associate with loss-y MP3 encoding has more to do with the default 16 kHz low-pass filter.

Deleted member 7219

ghostdog 's UI mod, for comparison. I think it is obvious which is better:

To my defense this vid is from an older version of the UI. Also that framerate is totally FRAPS fault...

Anyway, thanks to the EE people will probably stop bothering me about my UI (I've been avoiding my forums for a long time now anyway :P)

The bottom bar in your UI is better than Beamdog's.

Beamdog's dialogue screens are better, though (but they had access to the source code and assets, so I'd expect it to be better).

m_s0

Arcane
Can we get the revised text as a mod? I bought this damn game so many times I couldn't justify getting it again even if it wasn't a complete rip-off.

Chris Avellone
aVENGER how was the soundtrack remastered? Was Mark Morgan involved?

We had access to the original, uncompressed versions of the music tracks which were then used for the remastering process.

Mark Morgan wasn't involved directly.
What did this remastering process involve exactly?

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron

I highly doubt it involves anything that you're thinking of re: remixing and balancing of individual tracks/channels. More likely, they tweaked the compression used to generate to the music files played by the game. Since Mark Morgan wasn't involved, it doesn't make any sense that game designers would take it upon themselves to remix Morgan's tracks, despite this being the implication of 'remastered'.

Deleted member 7219

Buy it now before it goes away forever when the EE comes out. https://af.gog.com/game/planescape_torment?as=1649904300

How many days I have for that?
Also fuck you GoG, why don't you have mobile payments, now I need to meddle with PayPal, thanks for headache.

https://af.gog.com/news/preorder_planescape_torment_enhanced_edition?as=1649904300

Note: Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition will feature the unaltered original version and the Enhanced Edition in one definitive collection exclusively on GOG.com. The original game will no longer be available for purchase on its own, after the Enhanced Edition is released. Owners of the classic Planescape: Torment will not be affected by upcoming changes to the product.

Last edited by a moderator:

m_s0

Arcane

I highly doubt it involves anything that you're thinking of re: remixing and balancing of individual tracks/channels. More likely, they tweaked the compression used to generate to the music files played by the game. Since Mark Morgan wasn't involved, it doesn't make any sense that game designers would take it upon themselves to remix Morgan's tracks, despite this being the implication of 'remastered'.
Yeah, I doubt anything too involved would've been on the table for this. Then again, we are at war...

Bluewave256

Novice
I am so happy that Beamdog is pissing and butchering Planescape Torment that, even if I already have a CD with Planescape Torment found in a magazine and a digital version from the Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection, I bought another digital copy on GOG of the classic edition.. Like I did the same thing some time ago for Baldur's Gate 1/2 and Icewind Dale 1.. They can go put their SJW rhetoric in a Bioware game like Mass Effect or Dragon Age.. Wishing for 4K on a game like this is idiocy because enlarging 3D pre-rendered backgrounds will only blur them without rerendering them from the 3D sources.. And the music will probably be worse like the translations because the ego of those working on it is over inflated.. They reek of failed writers and wannabe maestros.. Not that also in the past were not egocentric maniacs but at least the games were good..

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
^^^ Here's a person who never talked to an actual person from Ireland. Of all the Irish accents out there (the Kerrymen take the cake), Annah sounds nothing like an Irish person.

Hers is a pretty much a Scottish accent.

My point went right over your head.

Begorrah, tis like another potato famine.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Yeah, I doubt anything too involved would've been on the table for this. Then again, we are at war...
We're not at war, a company with experience modifying the IE is about to release a new product that we're skeptical of. 'War' is not the right mentality imo.

m_s0

Arcane

We're not at war, a company with experience modifying the IE is about to release a new product that we're skeptical of. 'War' is not the right mentality imo.
I meant this war:

ae835bc777.png

Deleted Member 16721

Modern "mastering" is mostly just trying to get the loudest song possible. Seems that when a song is loud, people think it's better. :)

Shadowdrinker

Novice
I think it would have been much more worth buying if it was sort of a director's cut from Chris Avellone like for deus ex HR, with some anectodes and commentaries on the game and its production.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom