Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

ArchAngel

Arcane
You guys weren't able to find higher resolution versions of the NPC portraits / 3d files? Also, will we get to pick the game's resolution for v3 of the IE, outside of changing our desktop resolution?

We didn't have access to the source art for the original animated portraits and movies.

Without the source art, the only way to update the EE versions would be to re-create the movies and portraits from scratch and I felt that doing that would alter the feel of the original game too much.
Did source art for PST conveniently get lost in a flood like BG one did?

agris

Arcane
Patron
portraits from scratch
What could go wrong?
7LVDYAy.png

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
aVENGER agreed, but for the love of a ragpicker, let us pick the damn resolution we play the game in. you're old enough to appreciate that it's hard to appreciate the art of these games when at a bird's eye view in 1080p. making us change our desktop resolution to play the game how we want is silly.

You are aware that Baldur's Gate EE lets you zoom in and out of the screen, right?

Deleted Member 16721

aVENGER, You know you want to slide me an advance copy on the low so I can start the official Let's Play in 4K for the game. ;)

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
For people asking about the integration of the PST Fixpack: we contacted Qwinn in the early development stages of PST:EE and obtained permission to use it. During development, the fixpack has undergone a thorough review by the PST:EE team and Chris Avellone was consulted whenever there was uncertainty. As a result, all objective bugfixes have been integrated into PST:EE.

Note that some of the more subjective fixpack changes have been deliberately left out for PST:EE because they contradicted the original (Black Isle) developer intent. This is not Qwinn's fault, as he didn't have access to the original PST design documents (which we do) nor to the PST source code (which we also have) so he had no way of knowing. As an example, PST:EE leaves out the fixpack change that gave enemies the ability to run towards the player while engaged in combat. The original design documents and the source code both confirm that enemies were deliberately prevented from running in that situation.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
aVENGER agreed, but for the love of a ragpicker, let us pick the damn resolution we play the game in. you're old enough to appreciate that it's hard to appreciate the art of these games when at a bird's eye view in 1080p. making us change our desktop resolution to play the game how we want is silly.

You are aware that Baldur's Gate EE lets you zoom in and out of the screen, right?

You are aware zooming in to a blurry mess is not the same as changing resolutions, right?

Locking resolution to the desktop one is such a plainly retarded decision that I can only imagine it was necessary because of the engine and not something they thought was a good idea.

Note that some of the more subjective fixpack changes have been deliberately left out for PST:EE because they contradicted the original (Black Isle) developer intent. This is not Qwinn's fault, as he didn't have access to the original PST design documents (which we do) nor to the PST source code (which we also have) so he had no way of knowing. As an example, PST:EE leaves out the fixpack change that gave enemies the ability to run towards the player while engaged in combat. The original design documents and the source code both confirm that enemies were deliberately prevented from running in that situation.

Is the accelerated banter or whatever included too?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
One year ago I thought this remaster would never come. Hopefully one year from now I will be saying the same, but about Icewind Dale II.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For people asking about the integration of the PST Fixpack: we contacted Qwinn in the early development stages of PST:EE and obtained permission to use it. During development, the fixpack has undergone a thorough review by the PST:EE team and Chris Avellone was consulted whenever there was uncertainty. As a result, all objective bugfixes have been integrated into PST:EE.

And Qwinn's cut content restoration pack? Chris isn't having any of that, cut for a reason?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You are aware zooming in to a blurry mess is not the same as chancing resolutions, right?

Locking resolution to the desktop one is such a plainly retarded decision that I can only imagine it was necessary because of the engine and not something they thought was a good idea.

Exactly what is it that you want to be able to do in the Enhanced Edition that you can't already do in Baldur's Gate EE? Honest question, because I don't know what you want to do. Baldur's Gate EE, by definition, doesn't have blur, because you are zooming onto sharp pixels with no filter applied. Before, it did have blur. But not anymore after a certain update.

agris

Arcane
Patron
You are aware zooming in to a blurry mess is not the same as chancing resolutions, right?

Exactly what is it that you want to be able to do in the Enhanced Edition that you can't already do in Baldur's Gate EE? Honest question, because I don't know what you want to do. Baldur's Gate EE, by definition, doesn't have blur, because you are zooming onto sharp pixels with no filter applied. Before, it did have blur. But not anymore after a certain update.
Play with the UI and game viewport at a fixed resolution that is lower than my desktop's.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
And Qwinn's cut content restoration pack? Chris isn't having any of that, cut for a reason?

We obtained permission to use the Unfinished Business mod, but decided not to after some internal discussions.

If/when the mod is updated for PST:EE people will still be able to install it, if they are so inclined.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Play with the UI and game viewport at a fixed resolution that is lower than my desktop's.

To keep a different aspect ratio, you mean? Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding because I would never play at any other resolution than my desktop's, and the EE already covers windowed mode as well.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Lol so it seems like the game really will be better with mods than in the EE version. At least ou won't be able to run circles around deadly Baatezu...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh look, more trailers:

This album features all 37 tracks composed for the original Planescape: Torment including tracks never used in-game.

Noted television and video game composer Mark Morgan (Fallout 1 & 2, Wasteland 2) teams with horror composer Richard Band (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Stargate SG-1) to paint Sigil and the multiverse in a rich soundscape capturing the very essence of Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition.

Purchase the full album on Steam or Beamdog on April 11th!

www.planescape.com

agris

Arcane
Patron
aVENGER on a more positive note - have you been involved with the crafting or modification of any combat encounters?

it's fine that you can't address the resolution question, but please relay that it's a feature that people want.

hexer

aVENGER how was the soundtrack remastered? Was Mark Morgan involved?

We had access to the original, uncompressed versions of the music tracks which were then used for the remastering process.

Mark Morgan wasn't involved directly.

Oh my... is there any possibility you could release the original soundtrack in a lossless format? Right now they are only available as 192kbps mp3 (as GOG extras).

I want them to release PST design docs... and the source code and art assets :P

Weasel
aVENGER how was the soundtrack remastered? Was Mark Morgan involved?

We had access to the original, uncompressed versions of the music tracks which were then used for the remastering process.

Mark Morgan wasn't involved directly.

Have to say, respect for arguing against the inclusion of new companions/content and gameplay changes. :salute:
Didn't expect that result tbh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom