Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Planescape: Torment crashes when entering Finam's house

Cazzeris

I'm using these graphic mods:

- The Widescreen Mod (by the bigg)
- Ghostdog's Planescape: Torment UI Mod

I have to enter Finam's house because I need him to learn how to understand the diary I found at The Civic Festhal (that dodecahedron).

When the game crashes, this message appears:

FalloTorment_zps55790460.png

I don't know how to use hex editors and that kind of stuff.

What shall I do?

roshan

Arcane

I have to enter Finam's house because I need him to learn how to understand the diary I found at The Civic Festhal (that dodecahedron).

What shall I do?

Usually with PST a crash upon entrance can be fixed by deleting all files in PST's cache directory.

Cazzeris

I don't know anything about this specific error, but google does:

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/39218-planescape-torment-error-assertion-failed/

I found this: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/ps-t-crash-question-re-finam-the-linguist.74734/

TwinkieGorilla had the same issue. A programmer fixed his save file.

What shall I do?

Usually with PST a crash upon entrance can be fixed by deleting all files in PST's cache directory.

That doesn't work, thanks anyway.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is a bug with big resolutions and small maps with PST and widescreen mod (it's supposed to be fixed in the latest version, but I find it's not).

Workaround: uninstall widescreen mod, play through the section you need to, re-install widescreen mod

Cazzeris

There is a bug with big resolutions and small maps with PST and widescreen mod (it's supposed to be fixed in the latest version, but I find it's not).

Workaround: uninstall widescreen mod, play through the section you need to, re-install widescreen mod

That doesn't work.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It seems it's the bug that sometimes happens with the newer versions of widescreen mod. Try this :

Truehare said:
So, if anybody out there is still having trouble, here's what you do, as explained by Scient in the RPG Codex forums; I'm re-posting here just for convenience's sake, for the Goddess alone (Eris, not the Lady of Pain) knows how long it took me to find an answer:

- Open Torment.exe with any hexadecimal editor;
- Search for this string: 10 8B 45 0C C1 E0 03 8B 4D EC 83 C1 07 3B C1 76
- Replace with this one: 00 8B 45 0C C1 E0 03 8B 4D EC 83 C1 07 3B C1 EB
- Open your game, enter the linguist's house, scream HELL YEAH!

That last step is optional, but it's extremely satisfying. :)

I said it in the RPG Codex forum, and I'll say it again: thank you, Scient (I know you lurk around here as well), you have saved my sanity!

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Someone really needs to patch this, since it's a game breaking bug and tons of newbies are getting this game on gog and just installing it with the patch. Who's in charge of that?

Cazzeris

It seems it's the bug that sometimes happens with the newer versions of widescreen mod. Try this :

Truehare said:
So, if anybody out there is still having trouble, here's what you do, as explained by Scient in the RPG Codex forums; I'm re-posting here just for convenience's sake, for the Goddess alone (Eris, not the Lady of Pain) knows how long it took me to find an answer:

I said it in the RPG Codex forum, and I'll say it again: thank you, Scient (I know you lurk around here as well), you have saved my sanity!

How do I get a hexadecimal editor?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member

Cazzeris

google "free hex edit"

Can you recommend me one?

Also, I'd like to know how to use a hex editor.
download this one
http://www.hexedit.com/

open the exe file (torment.exe or however it is called) with this program (File->Open etc)
Use the Find/Replace tool (Edit menu) to find and replace the bytes, afterwards save your changes

What type of setup should I choose? Typical, Custom or Complete?

Cazzeris

I'd suggest electing to use your brain.

OK

Truehare said:

google "free hex edit"

Can you recommend me one?

Also, I'd like to know how to use a hex editor.
download this one
http://www.hexedit.com/

open the exe file (torment.exe or however it is called) with this program (File->Open etc)
Use the Find/Replace tool (Edit menu) to find and replace the bytes, afterwards save your changes

It worked.

Many thanks, bros.

:bro::bro: :brodex::brodex:

You will receive brofists in March 2015

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
These threads don't make any sense. Why is not the thing already patched if scient actually fixed it and updated the patcher.

Or is this just gog being phenomenally cosmically dumb and distributing a older patched version of the fixpack with the game?
Or maybe you're using a 'older' version of the gog game hmmmm?

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I recently had the same problem with the gog version; hexedit worked to fix it. Thanks guys.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
These threads don't make any sense. Why is not the thing already patched if scient actually fixed it and updated the patcher.

Or is this just gog being phenomenally cosmically dumb and distributing a older patched version of the fixpack with the game?
Or maybe you're using a 'older' version of the gog game hmmmm?
It seems it's a problem with that sometimes happens with the newer versions of the widesreen mod, the ones that fix the "small area crash" that happened when changing resolution mid game. It seems rather random because neither scient or biggs cqn reproduce it, so I guess it's difficult to patch. I could probably make a small/quick weidu patch when I come back from vacation and actually remeber any of this, but I guess anyone with basic weidu knowledge can make a patch in order to bypass the hexediting.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You could just consider this a blessing and uninstall the game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom