Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Please don't let neo-Piranha Bytes rape the only good games they ever produced.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Nothing concrete but this guy does a video of stuff PB has been talking about on WorldofRisen forums. Warning, the guy rambles a lot so you probably just want to skip to the parts where he reads the PB employee statements.

Edit: Apparently an 'official reveal' is planned before the end of the summer.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
i-want-to-believe-20100818-163229.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's definitely not Risen 4, they said that series is (thankfully) over. One possible red flag is in the video the guy states the PB rep said this time they're going into more backstory on the player character.

inb4 Shepardz

They also said there's going to be a variety of ranged weapons so probably no shitty firearms again.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fuck the player character background. They should man the fuck up with the overall story in the first place. Even my seven year old niece would come up with a better story than Risen 3.

In fact all PB stories and plot structures are pretty retarded, always some stupid shit about ancient evil ffs. Except G3, that one was graet.

Goblino

Savant
Please abstain from psychedelics while you write the plot this time. And tighten the fucking combat up jesus.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Please abstain from psychedelics while you write the plot this time. And tighten the fucking combat up jesus.

This. I don't need another Witcher but it fucking has to be at least remotely coherent. So it doesn't feel like a badly written cheap fanfiction by a slightly retarded 13 year old. (Risen 3, looking at you).

T. Reich

Arcane
PB is living in the shadow of its early successes - G1+2, of which everything else since then is a derivative of various (mostly declining) quality.

As long as they keep trying to do something resembling Gothic, they're doomed to failure.

The only way they could make a decent RPG again (if they still got any juice left, of which I'm sceptical) is by abandoning any ties with Gothic formula.

Personally, I'm content with owning and occasionally replaying G1+2 and R1, and what I definitely don't need is another mediore (at best) take on that tired formula.

Cthulhu_is_love

This. I don't need another Witcher but it fucking has to be at least remotely coherent. So it doesn't feel like a badly written cheap fanfiction by a slightly retarded 13 year old. (Risen 3, looking at you).
What? You both are crazy... Combat? Decent Plot? PB game... I don't...

Fuck story, just give us a cool place to explore and factions to play with.
This

As long as they keep trying to do something resembling Gothic, they're doomed to failure.
Nah, the problem is they try to "modernize" Gothic games look at R 2 and 3. R1 was very solid, but just a cheap, worse G2-ripoff.
Either they don't want to copy G2 or they don't could do it anymore. :(

In my eyes PB doesn't have to modernize anything... I just want G2.1, G2.2, G2.3 and so on.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
PB is living in the shadow of its early successes - G1+2, of which everything else since then is a derivative of various (mostly declining) quality.

The only way they could make a decent RPG again (if they still got any juice left, of which I'm sceptical) is by abandoning any ties with Gothic formula.

Personally, I'm content with owning and occasionally replaying G1+2 and R1, and what I definitely don't need is another mediore (at best) take on that tired formula.

I think they could totally still surf the wave of G1+2's success, if they did it right. But, mixing up themes (pirates or hi-fantasy should be kept mutually exclusive), trying to implement retarded plots (whereas the "keep it basic" formula of the earlier games worked so much better), and screwing up the already-clunky combat (which, once gotten the hang of, was quite alright to cope with) surely didn't help their cause.

Honestly, I'd give my kingdom and 20% of my future income if they just rebooted G2.5, with updated graphics and NO OTHER CHANGES whatsoever.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Personally I don't need a Gothic 2 copy. There isn't anything that can be improved on that game and that formula. Those who want the same thing only in a better graphics than the godawful early 3D abomination can play Risen 1 which is a worthy successor in my book.

The R2/R3 formula was a mistake. It was an attempt to marry G2 with trendy cinematic action adventure. Result was predictable - old fans were alienated and the konsole action adventure krowd didn't give a shit.

If PB want to go forward they should have another crack at the G3 formula, and this time do it right. G3 with the patches is better than G2 in many respects but not even all the patches in the world could disguise the gap between the ambition and the final product. The vision of a new G3 in the Cryengine or Unreal engine with PB fully awake and invested in the game again makes me spontaneously cum in my shorts right now.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
G3 with the patches is better than G2 in many respects
Yeah, patches really improve G3 greatly - but, BETTER THAN G2?
:mob:

Well let's see then.

The world doesn't have the lovely handcrafted feeling of G2 but it's much more atmospheric. Hunting in the moonlight in the snowy Nordmar or discovering secret places in the vast desert down south...mmm. The game is gorgeous to this very day, looks much better than vanilla Skyrim even though it's five years older.

The world is incredibly open. I think it's the most open world ever created in an RPG. You can go almost anywhere from the very start. You can also kill almost anyone without fucking up the story, which is very good actually, definitely miles better than the G2 story (which is retarded).

The combat with all the community patch features switched on is basically the same as in G2. There's pobably too much of it but a lot of it is optional. In G2 you didn't have to kill all the orcs around the castle either. So combat-wise it's a toss-up.

As for the C&C both games are great. G3 wins this one tho since the world is bigger and there's simply more of it. Also at least 3 very different endings (that I know of).

The only cathegory G2 scores a win is character development, but only with NotR. It's probably the best I have seen, at least in an aRPG. Simple but incredibly impactful and balanced. G3 is not at all bad but due to the rushed release it's not as carefully balanced. The difficulty curve is all over the place.

That's all I can think of right now. Considering all this G3 edges it out slightly in my book. G2/NotR is still a fantasic game tho and I love to bits.

EDIT: Oh and loot. G2 is way better loot-wise. In G3 loot is one of the most obviously unfinished features.

Cthulhu_is_love

HELP!!! I feel trolled.:( Why do you mean people just enjoy it so badly to troll us newfags?

The world doesn't have the lovely handcrafted feeling of G2 but it's much more atmospheric.
:hahano:
The game is gorgeous to this very day, looks much better than vanilla Skyrim even though it's five years older.
Yeah, comparing something with Skyrim always shows good taste.
You can also kill almost anyone without fucking up the story, which is very good actually, definitely miles better than the G2 story (which is retarded).
Fuck story

The combat with all the community patch features switched on is basically the same as in G2.
Combat in PB games doesn't matter.
As for the C&C both games are great.
How often do i have to repeat this to you morons: Gothics don't have C&C, cause there's a lack of
1) choices
2) consequences

G3 wins this one tho since the world is bigger and there's simply more of it.
You've got the choice to beat the wolves or not; and the consequence to get money or not.
:greatjob:
Let's face it: PB tried to copy Oblivion (the best game to date) cause of monies and made it (except for more bugs maybe); so they achieved the same quality as Oblivion with more atmosphere and without level scaling

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
How often do i have to repeat this to you morons: Gothics don't have C&C, cause there's a lack of
1) choices
2) consequences

Never played G3, but in both G1 and G2 the "join faction" thing is conveyed, and feels, like a pretty big choice... In fact in both games half the game revolves just around/towards that, and the other half is directly influenced by it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom