Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Proper way to play G3 is as a mage. Especially after getting mana regen skill killing things get quicker and game becomes less boring.
Still a chore.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Look, i haven't played G3 with fan made mods/patches. If they really fix not only bugs, but also boring cliche game play i will sing a different song. Few month from here i will try G3 with latest community patch.

I tried G3 with the community patch. It still sucked ass, just slightly less so. Just like with Obliviturd, this mess cannot be saved by any kind of patch or mod.

subotaiy

Cipher
After I tried it G3 this week with those 4 mods I can attest that the melee combat is still utter shit.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
After I tried it G3 this week with those 4 mods I can attest that the melee combat is still utter shit.

G3 combat cannot be fixed cause Piranha Bytes cannot release the source code. It can be tweaked (like the community patch is doing) but it cannot be fixed because of bad coding.

I remember a thread detailing these issues when the game was released but I'm not in the mood to search for it.

Morkar Left

No amount of PC power is going to change the engine physics. The combat is floaty. There is no changing that. Unless you're saying a 770 is insufficient to appreciate the majesty of G3 combat. It's ass. Just stop.

Define floaty. The combat was floaty for me with an old rig, or better saying a decent rig at the time of release. Now it's running fine with an 760 with 2GB and 16 GB RAM. Combat animations are fluent.

The animation of the standard attack takes a bit longer than you would expect from a standard attack, but you can still change direction while doing it and you can even interrupt your attack with a quick strike if necessary. I guess it's a bit slower that you can guess if you have to parry the otheYou can't retreat while doing your attack but that is an absolutely realistic approach. Basically a cornerstone of real life melee combat. And yes, it puts your opponent in Gothic in a less favourable position compared to yourself. AI enemies can't handle such things really well of course (G1+G2 combat is much simpler, M&B combat AI is on par but still simple and a different system). A human player is always smarter. One on one the player will always have an advantage.
I guess people get irritated with the standard attack always involving a step forward as well. It's realistic but not very gamey. The whole combat system has more in common with actual fencing instead of trashing things with dumb brute force.

Morkar Left

Risen 3 is one of their best releases so far. Better than Risen 2 (which was great), and on par or better than Risen/Gothic (which were excellent).

How is the combat? From the vids I could see that only one attacker at a time attacks you. If you have to fight more enemies they are waiting in line till you finished your current opponent off. Basically the main reason I didn't even give it a try.

G3 combat cannot be fixed cause Piranha Bytes cannot release the source code. It can be tweaked (like the community patch is doing) but it cannot be fixed because of bad coding.

I remember a thread detailing these issues when the game was released but I'm not in the mood to search for it.

The community patch team had the source code at hand. And you can actually tweak the engine even without the source code as it's proven recently.

I love watching an entire town of mercenaries getting slaughtered by a few boars. It has something tragically comical to it.

I love hearing people bitching about things 8 years ago. It has something tragically comical to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Picky bunch. I don't really give a shit about the combat in G3, it's just that the game is eventually very boring.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.4players.de/4players.php...ewsfeed&utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds

Björn Pankratz on the question whether they'll ever return to Gothic again:

"Man sollte niemals nie sagen, aber derzeit arbeiten wir hart an einem anderen Projekt und wir sind gespannt, ob es dir genau so gefallen wird wie uns. Wir glauben, jeder Gothic-Fan sollte sich das ansehen."

"Never say never, but we're currently working hard on a different project, and we're anxious to see if you like it as much as we do. We believe every Gothic fan should keep an eye on it"

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Gothic 1 remastered? Some people bet on that one. Question - is PB trying to learn "what make Gothic a good game*" and improve future projects? Cause they revealed that they games sucks because they don't know how to do them anymore.

*or otherwise - that catch attention of the people from Germany and Potato

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Never say never, but we're currently working hard on a different project, and we're anxious to see if you like it as much as we do. We believe every Gothic fan should keep an eye on it"
Yeah, no. They said the same thing for Risen 3 and we've seen how that went.
True, but Risen 1 was mostly good, and it was clearly "The next Gothic without being the next Gothic." Then the franchise lost its way; no one not
possibly_retarded.png
is arguing about that; but there's no reason to think they can't still do good work.

I'll definitely give them the benefit of the doubt and look at the new "next Gothic without being the next Gothic" with an open mind. Starting with a fresh concept worked for them last time. I want to believe.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They ask about Gothic every year, it's not going to happen. I'm sure they're working on Risen 4.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
medieval fantasy > Disney's Pirates of the Carribean

M0RBUS

Augur
I tried G3 with the community patch. It still sucked ass, just slightly less so. Just like with Obliviturd, this mess cannot be saved by any kind of patch or mod.
I swore to myself and the codex that I would never finish Gothic 3.

I did, with the 1.7 something community patch. I had to drudge through the dumb gameplay and the bugs and the senseless combat, but I found it barely enjoyable. Definitely not worth the 40€ I gave for the Gothic World box-set, but it wasted dozens of my life hours...

It's still head and shoulders better and more enjoyable than 90% of all the RPGs released today.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I swore to myself and the codex that I would never finish Gothic 3.

I did, with the 1.7 something community patch. I had to drudge through the dumb gameplay and the bugs and the senseless combat, but I found it barely enjoyable. Definitely not worth the 40€ I gave for the Gothic World box-set, but it wasted dozens of my life hours...

It's still head and shoulders better and more enjoyable than 90% of all the RPGs released today.
Care to elaborate what is that 90% of games? Divinity OS? Wasteland 2? AoD? PoE? DA3? Underrail? KotC2? Shadowruns?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kony he said games released. AoD, Underrail, KOTC2, PoE ain't it. And DA3 wtf :lol:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You realize those games represent like 0.1% of games released per year, right?

Blackstaff

Arbiter
Well, Gothic 2 and 3 just got rereleased on GOG today and their new publisher (after Nordic) is Piranha Bytes, like Gothic 1 now too.

http://af.gog.com/forum/general/rerelease_gothic_2_gothic_3_1f348?as=1649904300

Don't know if it's going to mean anything in terms of future games in the Gothic universe, but I thought that was worth taking notes.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom