Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Now that I think about it wasn't R3 supposed to be more medieval? Still looks piratey to me.

Murk

Arcane
Gothic 1's basic premise really is criminally underrated. You need to kill an ancient monster to escape from a magical prison colony. Unique, simple, engaging.

:thumbsup:

Pirate chick looks like a cartoonier version of Ves from Witcher 2.

I will cry and play Gothic 2 again this month. In memory of when PB didn't suck ass.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I will cry and play Gothic 2 again this month. In memory of when PB didn't suck ass.

wha :retarded:Gothic 2 was already a sharp decline, especially when it comes to story (G1 had quite an original albeit simple idea, whereas G2 was a copy-paste of the shittiest fantasy stories). The same with the setting, from a sinister and grim setting they went more towards trigger happy fantasy (albeit it was not quite there, it was like a middle ground between those two). NotR was an attempt to fix the shit in G2 (and a successful one!), however, vanilla G2 always remained inferior to its prequel, albeit with finally fixed difficulty and leveling with NotR.

I replayed G1 and NotR multiple times while I got bored replaying for the first time G2 (and finally abandoned that).

Murk

Arcane
I have played the first two games so many times that I don't care about story anymore; I know it by memory as well as damn near every bug and exploit. G2 has more to do and so it is the one I often replay.

And it's quite obvious I'm going to use NotR.

The fuck are you even talking about? You act like this is some new unknown game when half this forum has an annual replay of the games and could probably write a FAQ/Guide from memory alone. At least I can, heh.

aleph

Arcane
what the fuck

Piranha Bytes has gone full-stupid.

I was lukewarm about Risen 3 until now. But if roguey hates it, it has to be good. Maybe I should buy it on day 1 after all.

Last edited:

aleph

Arcane
Maybe Risen 3 is going to be the first game to go on 80%-off sale before release.

Tigranes

Arcane
Game has looked from the very beginning like Risen 2 + less derp, and it continues to look that way - probably not as good as Risen 1 but better than 2 and a decent game to play.

Huge determinant will be how the combat is balanced though, that video doesn't show much since Gothic/Risen games have always had trivially easy combat when you have someone else on your side (just run around the sides and stab). The real deal is when you are alone (which is how you would be playing it 95% of the time, unless you want easy mode). Rolling seems to be a bit too derpy though, the skeleton cut into him near the end of his roll and it didn't seem to interrupt.

First island seems slightly bigger than Risen 2's first island. It has a nice look with a valley of forests filled with spiders in the centre surrounded by various rock outcrops and elevations.

Edit: After more watching: yeah, skeletons are a bit stupider than I'd like, letting their guard down too often (wonder if that is difficulty-dependent), and rolling is OP. Basic good old PB combat is still there though, and it should be fun enough on higher difficulties.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I watched some of the latest videos and the game looks very promising. If it's as good as Risen 2, im set. If its better, maybe day 1 purchase.

Even with all their faults, i loved Risen 1 and 2. There is something about them.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Well i loved Gothics and right now im playing Risen 1 (Risen 2 was very boring but i finished it - start of that game was really fucked up , later on it was better), and i will buy and play Risen 3.
These games have their own flavour, maybe they are bit flawed in terms of engine, controls or popular crpg mechanics but Piranha and their games are important part of crpg world.
Gothic 3 was great experience (remeber hours lost to optimize it's shitty engine inis after release). Gothic 1 and 2 are very good too, and to say more they have some great and epic mods from Polish , German and Russian community (like
Mroczne Tajemnice (Dark Secrets) for G1, Złote Wrota (Golden Gates) and Global Mod for G2 or excellent community patch with some extra patches and mods for G3.
If i will play DA:I and not Risen 3 i will be feeling like traitor ;) (i already know they will be just another medium class crpgs - both R3 and DA:I but still it is my duty to play that shit ;).

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who wrote first Risen?
The translation team was Andrew Walsh, James Leash and Rhianna Pratchett, the original script was written by Bjorn Pankratz. The English version was just a translation in case of the first Risen, unlike Risen 2's complete rewrite :M

Writing in Risen 2 is considerably more entertaining than in Risen 1, so I hope they keep that style for third game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom