Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Already pre-ordered, hope PB delivers.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
After watching that guardian and demon hunter gameplay videos I lowered my expectations even more.

-No 2 handed weapons were shown
-Healing spells look powerfull and they have short cooldowns
-Most the spells look spammable too, is there even mana in this game
-Combat looks dull and boring, only refreshing thing is melee versions of spells. But their animations stinks of "desuland", one of them animation is actually "hadooken"...
-Stabbing with maces, also skeletons can be stabbed
-Heaviest armored class has a blink?!?
-At least exploreation looks better than R2, no more corridor islands, yay!

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
Maybe the original German voice acting lends the characters a level of depth lacking in the English versions.
How about I lend your face a level of depth with my fists. Fuck anyone who complains about the english VO of the game
I played those with the German VA. It was endearing, but didn't add a lot to how memorable (or not) the characters were.

It's the way the german VA corresponds to the original written dialogue that makes the difference - and yes, G1/2 were full of memorable characters imo. Why?
Gothic 1 contains at its core something PB were never quite able to get a hold on afterwards - a simple but pervasive story concept.
If I remember correctly, the idea of a prison setting stems directly from the main goals PB had for this game, i.e. ultimaesque functionality in a living breathing 3d environment etc.
Every quest, every character in the game is written around that premise of living in a prison world and trying to get out. This led to the most authentic german dialogue I ever saw in a video game and I think this translates into the voice acting.

Gothic 2 got the same formula down pretty well and in more than one respect, it just expanded the original game.
With Gothic 3, PB simply began to copy their 'trademark humorous edgy PB dialogue' and the quality of the voice acting declined with the rest of the game. IMO. If you disagree you must've played the english version. :smug:

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Gothic 1 contains at its core something PB were never quite able to get a hold on afterwards - a simple but pervasive story concept.

Yes, very much so. G1 presented one of the most interesting and original fantasy RPG plots ever.

Gothic 2 got the same formula down pretty well and in more than one respect, it just expanded the original game.

Utter hog. G2 was a better game in all respects except the plot which was as retarded and formulaic as all the other fantasy-fodder plots about evil wizards and dragons.

epikitscheesy

Liturgist

Yes, very much so. G1 presented one of the most interesting and original fantasy RPG plots ever.
Very witty of you bro, except I didn't say anything like that.
It's SIMPLE and it does its job, unlike the plots in recent pb games which happen to be a mess.

buzz

Arcane
He wasn't witty dude, he's agreeing with you, and so do I. I liked how it was relatively low fantasy, with only one other fantasy race that has this tribal motif, only 3 gods instead that are directly tied to the magic ingame and so on. None of the silly lore of other games with hundreds of gods and tens of races with ridiculously weird to pronounce names. And I don't think prison fantasy stories have been done much before, that was also why I liked it very much.

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
He wasn't witty dude, he's agreeing with you, and so do I. I liked how it was relatively low fantasy, with only one other fantasy race that has this tribal motif, only 3 gods instead that are directly tied to the magic ingame and so on. None of the silly lore of other games with hundreds of gods and tens of races with ridiculously weird to pronounce names. And I don't think prison fantasy stories have been done much before, that was also why I liked it very much.
Oh well, I guess you're right. :oops:
I still don't think the actual plot itself (rather than setting, lore) is the most original thing about the game, that's why I immediately dismissed it as :M

EDIT

Utter hog. G2 was a better game in all respects except the plot which was as retarded and formulaic as all the other fantasy-fodder plots about evil wizards and dragons.
As for G2, again, it's more the overall setting and lore I find interesting and original, rather than the main plot. I like how conflict between the different factions is played out, it's quite reminiscent of real medieval circumstances compared to other high fantasy stuff.
Apart from that, I can't see how G2 was anything else than more of the same, which is always better in the case of Gothic. I guess some liked the new mouse control scheme better. What exactly do you have in mind?

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
G1 had a better setting but G2 was superior both mechanically and content wise.

DefJam101

Arcane
Gothic 1's basic premise really is criminally underrated. You need to kill an ancient monster to escape from a magical prison colony. Unique, simple, engaging.

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
Would be brilliant as a crpg setting:
escape-from-new-york.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
Partially true.

Controls always were problem but world design was excellent and game had ton of good idea behind it.
Skills needing trainers, closed parts of camps for strangers, people who actually would fuck you up for trespassing their house.
Monsters placement, lore and soooo much more.

BobtheTree

Savant
Was ready to ignore this, but that video makes me think this might be good. I want to believe. Probably will be too busy with incline when the game is released, though.

Demonstrating a diversity of quests with WoW style mob killing did have me grimace, though.

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
The setting would
limit the game world in a believable way, possibly with a focus on interconnected, unique environments and population
provide a unique society, factions and character writing can be based on the basic life condiitions in that narrow environment
create a sense of dread and a strong urge to improve in order to survive in a hostile environment, making it very rewarding to overcome problems in the game
Things that made Gothic a great game, basically.

Epsilon

Cipher
Risen 3 looks cool, but the premise of Risen 2 was cool as well. The pirate theme hadn't, in my mind, been done well since Monkey Island. Unfortunately the execution of it in Risen 2 was shit. I'll hold on to my cash for now and wait for some reviews on forums :)
Personally I think Piranha Bytes lost the soul of the Gothic and Risen games when the designer died of cancer a couple of years ago.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I liked how they solved the problem of sequels in Risen 2. How to solve problem of overpowered equipment from the first game.

Patty was pissed, and threw his clothes out of window. Do you have problem with that? You needed disguise anyway.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Somehow I get the feeling from those screens that it's trying to be good, that it wants to be good :(
Maybe it will be enjoyable despite everything. Good luck PB.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Dunno what you can tell about gameplay from a screenshot. That said, after R2 I have little hope for this game.

Emily

Arcane
What's up with this lame dumb slut parading as pirate? I remember cringe fest in Risen 1 with that pirates daughter who needs no man it was dumb as hell.
What happened to good old Gothic 1 and 2, where females were just background noise like they should be in such a game.

Tigranes

Arcane
Fuck that boobs woman, but at least you'll be able to leave her behind forever.

Love the hand-drawn minimap thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom