Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I refuse to watch the video for fear it will move me away from a day 1 purchase.

Will there be DLC available on day 1 as well?

imweasel

You lost me here.
They mentioned in some interview(s) that they realise what people dislike about Risen 2 and want to fix those problems, i.e. Risen 3 will be influenced by Risen 1 and Gothic 2.

No idea if they are just fucking liars though. I hope not.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
You lost me here.
They mentioned in some interview(s) that they realise what people dislike about Risen 2 and want to fix those problems, i.e. Risen 3 will be influenced by Risen 1 and Gothic 2.

No idea if they are just fucking liars though. I hope not.

Honestly they said a lot of things and unfortunately ... PB is not a learning animal. Almost all their games are unfinished and whatever they "learned" is simply nowhere to be found in their games.

Another weird thing is that for some reason, they always break previous good systems when they release sequels. I don't think Risen 3 will be an exception to this rule.

Instead of refining Gothic formula, they are basically fucking around that formula. At this point, I don't think they know what made Gothic such a great game.

Your trust in them is unwarranted. I wish they were a better company but they are not. Nevertheless I will D1P this shit because I want to support them. Everybody deserves the 11th chance to make it right. Don't they?

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think if Risen 2 didn't have linear corridor islands for the second half it would have been a decent game. If this doesn't have corridor islands I am sure it will be worth playing and supporting. Simple as that, for me.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think if Risen 2 didn't have linear corridor islands for the second half it would have been a decent game.

I would agree and disagree. Agree inasmuch as that its city environments were decentish, particularly the volcano island/city and the harbour with captain Slayne (Antigua? Completely forgot all the toponyms from that game), and more actual settlements could improve it. But the problem with corridor islands was also that their corridors just weren't filled with any quality content. Even if you came across some ruins, they simply weren't all that fun to explore. Fixing corridors would have been one thing, but it was also in drastic need of better content altogether.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I would agree and disagree. Agree inasmuch as that its city environments were decentish, particularly the volcano island/city and the harbour with captain Slayne (Antigua? Completely forgot all the toponyms from that game), and more actual settlements could improve it. But the problem with corridor islands was also that their corridors just weren't filled with any quality content. Even if you came across some ruins, they simply weren't all that fun to explore. Fixing corridors would have been one thing, but it was also in drastic need of better content altogether.

I suppose that's true. I had a few cool moments in the latter half but most of it was bland as well as linear, you're right. That first half is solid though. I also liked the pirate town in addition to what you mentioned, though I think that island was disappointing outside of that. I remember a good waterfall cave there but nothing else. I barely remember anything from the islands after it.

Anyway, hopefully Risen 3 is more of what we liked about Risen 2, rather than more Risen 2 in general.

Durwyn

Prophet
Oh god, I don't think I've seen so clusterfuckish combat since Two Worlds 2 or The Witcher 2 and still it looked more manageable there.

Oh wait, it looks just like Risen 2... Ahh, I'll definitely pass on this one

But and this is a big but, Taranis is more like a bigger version of Antigua than an open world. You have a dense system of paths (much more and denser than on Antigua) but you cannot go far of these paths. No open forest or open fields. The only really open area is the sea.
:negative:

This game is dead to me. PB have never managed to recreate the sense of wonder that standing at the entrance of the Valley of Mines and gazing out over all the possibilities induced in me.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I am inspired to finally play Gothic. Just got it set up and looking pretty, will maybe start tonight, definitely tomorrow if not. I played Gothic 2 when it came out, have never played the original.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
But and this is a big but, Taranis is more like a bigger version of Antigua than an open world. You have a dense system of paths (much more and denser than on Antigua) but you cannot go far of these paths. No open forest or open fields. The only really open area is the sea.

This game is dead to me. PB have never managed to recreate the sense of wonder that standing at the entrance of the Valley of Mines and gazing out over all the possibilities induced in me.

Seppuku is the answer.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I am inspired to finally play Gothic. Just got it set up and looking pretty, will maybe start tonight, definitely tomorrow if not. I played Gothic 2 when it came out, have never played the original.

Man, you're in for a treat. While I still consider Gothic 2 NOTR to be the pinnacle of the series and best game PB ever made, Gothic will always be my personal favourite. Gameplay is a bit more clunky and the world is a lot smaller compared to the sequel but the atmosphere is just unmatched (not in small part due to setting and music, Gothic 2 is a lot more classic fantasy fare in both regards) and I prefer the factions as well (both how they're presented and tasks required for joining).

Hope you downloaded FPS unlocker though, Gothic I is limited to 25 fps without it IIRC.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Man, you're in for a treat. While I still consider Gothic 2 NOTR to be the pinnacle of the series and best game PB ever made, Gothic will always be my personal favourite. Gameplay is a bit more clunky and the world is a lot smaller compared to the sequel but the atmosphere is just unmatched (not in small part due to setting and music, Gothic 2 is a lot more classic fantasy fare in both regards) and I prefer the factions as well (both how they're presented and tasks required for joining).

Hope you downloaded FPS unlocker though, Gothic I is limited to 25 fps without it IIRC.

Gothic and NotR (sole NotR, without the vanilla map) were masterpieces in terms of atmosphere, authenticity and setting. NotR also had perfect game difficulty and character development system (which were too easy in Gothic and vanilla Gothic 2). I can't imagine these games being any better, they will always be the best of the genre for me, just like, for example, Fallout. They do feel totally different though, as Gothic's mood was a dark survival, while NotR's was a mysterious adventure. Even the music fit them both perfectly. I remember every time I was passing the Old Camp I stopped there just to listen to the music.

Vanilla G2 was too derp stereotypical fantasy to me, it was good, because it was Gothic, but the storyline and many quests were disappointing.

buzz

Arcane
I think people remember the Gothic games a bit through rose-tinted glasses. I haven't played Risen and 1 and 2 yet, and I don't have too many playtroughs of G2 (2 or 3 with the original, only 1 in Gold) but Gothic 1 used to be my first RPG and a second favorite before I got into abandonware.

What I specifically remember is that the game was brilliant in the first Chapter, and then it turned into a Zelda-like affair afterwards. The first part is the one that wows you, with the freedom and the ever-constant dangers, the factions and the multitude of quests related to joining them. Then chapter 2 comes and the guilds mean jack-shit, there's no more faction-related gameplay, you get to do missions into fairly linear dungeons (like the minecrawler cave or the Free Mine) and so on. The only freedom you get at that point is in late chapter 3 and chapter 5, where you can choose which Focus are you going to get first (similar to G2 where you can choose which Dragon to kill first) or what ingredient for the Ulu-Mulu you get first. Not that it is bad, some of my favorite moments are still in the later parts of the game (reaching Xardas' tower for example) but people make it sounld like the early Gothic games were beyond amazing past the first chapter. The "boss battle" was also fairly shit. Also many of the main quests had immortal NPC companions, making the game much easier than it should be.

Ironically, it was Gothic 3 (despite its crudeness) that had much more non-linearity, with an actual faction system that was fairly important throughout the game and multiple endings.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Ironically, it was Gothic 3 (despite its crudeness) that had much more non-linearity, with an actual faction system that was fairly important throughout the game and multiple endings.

G3's combat/physics sucked hard. As did a lot of the 'non-linearity.' World was far too big without much interesting in it. Faction system also fell on its ass with the tedious city liberation/camp clears. And Nordmar... wow... did anyone even bother clearing the orc camps?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

G3's combat/physics sucked hard. As did a lot of the 'non-linearity.' World was far too big without much interesting in it. Faction system also fell on its ass with the tedious city liberation/camp clears. And Nordmar... wow... did anyone even bother clearing the orc camps?

I did :/
Special thanks to area effecting spells and army of darkness.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Your trust in them is unwarranted. I wish they were a better company but they are not. Nevertheless I will D1P this shit because I want to support them. Everybody deserves the 11th chance to make it right. Don't they?
At least they keep trying, I guess...

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just watched some gameplay (that with annoying German commentator...) and combat reminded me Arcania somehow, a lot...

I hope its just monday morning edginess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom