Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Is that you, son, in the first picture?
No, it's a Scavenger.
you do realize his avatar is a scav?
I believe it's sea vultures or something in the Risen setting, not scavengers.
doesn't look like a risen vulture, those were all feathers and had wings. looks way more like a small compact scav with the reptilian hide, armor plates and no wings.

Ser Pounce-a-lot

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Dumbfuck Village Idiot
Started to play Risen a few days ago. Got through all the bandit camp quests, and got sent to town. Does the game get any more interesting after this? As far as I can see this is little more than a step-by-step remake of Gothic, but without the magic and atmosphere that made Gothic a classic RPG adventure. Instead, the PiranhaByte formula's flaws became glaringly obvious and an obstacle to maintaining interest in the game. Yet another non-customizable character with a bare minimum of trainable skills - almost all of which got passed down directly from Gothic 2. Yet another unnecessary voice-over for the PC with traditionally horrible voice-acting and translation from German - if the voice-over is the main reason for the lack of character customization, wouldn't it be more sensible to drop the former in favor of the latter? And, of course, traditionally rudimentary character classes - warrior, warrior with thieving skills, and warrior with spells. If you rape yourself through the first one third of the game without ever expending LPs on combat skills, you might even succeed in becoming a pure mage. The gameplay is boggled down in a multitude of fetch quests and repetitive combat, the characters and storyline are barely discernible. What is the point of playing this game, again?

Last edited:

Visperas

Augur
Yup. Gothic 2 was the culmination of their craft for piranha bytes. It's a real shame...

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Started to play Risen a few days ago. Got through all the bandit camp quests, and got sent to town. Does the game get any more interesting after this?
I actually liked Risen a lot despite its "fetchiness", just because the combat was good (I didn't try to play a mage) and the world was fun to explore. I'd say it gets marginally more interesting after the lizard men show up, but not much. If you don't like it at the beginning, you won't like it at the end. Additionally, the last third or so of the game is pretty disappointing, since all freedom of choice evaporates completely ... plus the final boss fight is straight out of a 1990 Nintendo game, using none of the skills you've spent 50 hours developing. So yeah. Hope that helps.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Assuming you can turn depth of field off those shots look decent.

I don't think I played a game that doesn't let you do this, and I always turn depth of field off.

Don't have much to say regarding the screenshots. Screenshots nearly always look good. I'll wait for the game.

Depth of field is awesome, it feels so realistic for someone with myopia.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Started to play Risen a few days ago. Got through all the bandit camp quests, and got sent to town. Does the game get any more interesting after this? As far as I can see this is little more than a step-by-step remake of Gothic, but without the magic and atmosphere that made Gothic a classic RPG adventure. Instead, the PiranhaByte formula's flaws became glaringly obvious and an obstacle to maintaining interest in the game. Yet another non-customizable character with a bare minimum of trainable skills - almost all of which got passed down directly from Gothic 2. Yet another unnecessary voice-over for the PC with traditionally horrible voice-acting and translation from German - if the voice-over is the main reason for the lack of character customization, wouldn't it be more sensible to drop the former in favor of the latter? And, of course, traditionally rudimentary character classes - warrior, warrior with thieving skills, and warrior with spells. If you rape yourself through the first one third of the game without ever expending LPs on combat skills, you might even succeed in becoming a pure mage. The gameplay is boggled down in a multitude of fetch quests and repetitive combat, the characters and storyline are barely discernible. What is the point of playing this game, again?

Risen is basically the same as G1 and G2. No better but certainly not that worse. Anyone claiming otherwise needs to take off the nostalgia glasses: there were obvious flaws in PB's earlier games, too.

Ser Pounce-a-lot

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Dumbfuck Village Idiot
Started to play Risen a few days ago. Got through all the bandit camp quests, and got sent to town. Does the game get any more interesting after this?
I actually liked Risen a lot despite its "fetchiness", just because the combat was good (I didn't try to play a mage) and the world was fun to explore. I'd say it gets marginally more interesting after the lizard men show up, but not much. If you don't like it at the beginning, you won't like it at the end. Additionally, the last third or so of the game is pretty disappointing, since all freedom of choice evaporates completely ... plus the final boss fight is straight out of a 1990 Nintendo game, using none of the skills you've spent 50 hours developing. So yeah. Hope that helps.
Uh...

Risen is basically the same as G1 and G2. No better but certainly not that worse. Anyone claiming otherwise needs to take off the nostalgia glasses: there were obvious flaws in PB's earlier games, too.
I'm not claiming it's worse. I'm saying PiranhaBytes had plenty of time and opportunity to learn from their mistakes and come up with something new and better, but instead they painstakingly recreated the same formula, then did it again with Risen 2, and are now doing it again with Risen 3. For the sixth fucking time. It's pretty sad when a promising new studio devolves into a cloning facility for unoriginal video games, isn't it.

Nim

Augur

The only thing Risen does better than G1/2 is performance and interface.

Melee combat is okayish till the lizards show up and then it just goes straight to hell, turning into charged attack after charged attack.
Doesn't even come close to G2 in atmosphere, not even talking about G1 which was PBs best in this regard. Comparing Khorinis to the unnamed harbor town in Risen makes me wonder wtf happened there.
Shit like putting sneak and acrobatics on rings and making them accessible really early. Pickpocket being friggin useless, same with gutting animals, both because you are getting showered in money anyway ( not that that isn't the case in every other PB game).
Joining the bandit camp means you lose a ton of stuff in the monastery, joining the mages or inquisition loses you very few quests from the bandits. Nice choice there, NOT. Lack of sidequests post chapter 1 doesn't really help.

And I replayed the game last month till somewhere in the volcano, so no nostalgia glasses here.

Cazzeris

Depth of field is good to hide aliasing.

-------------------------------------------------------------

So Risen is the same as Gothic? I've started playing cRPG's some months ago and I still don't know a thing about this franchise.
I haven't played Risen neither.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ser Pounce-a-lot
Risen is good for what it is™, and that's an ARPG with fun combat (and it keeps that way til the end of the game, quite an accomplishment, many CRPGs don't get that right, become too easy or too repetitive) and rather intelligent enemy behavior, good character progression at least for a pure fighter, entertaining dungeon crawls (I like the traps and the little spell use puzzles even though these were pretty obvious) and a nice atmosphere.
Everything else was mediocre at best:
- boring recycled/relabeled factions (naming Don Esteban's men bandits was particularly derpy) recruited from the usual poser faggots with the occasional embarrassing caricature of a female now and then, PB guys are clearly either gay or manchild virgins
- too many little treasure chests and other loot spots spread over the game world, with nearly nothing worthwhile to find, finding pieces for 2 unique swords doesn't count, these swords are not that special and that would still be only 4 loot spots among several hundreds containing nothing but trash or things you can buy easily, loot progression isn't that great here overall, and I really I wished I knew before, would have saved me a lot of time
-derpy story with uninteresting characters all over the place, PB clearly cannot into story telling, their settings are nice, but the stories :retarded:
... Gothic 2 story was good enough though
-magic doesn't seem that great either, too few combat spells
-the endgame although somewhat salvaged by the dungeon crawling is still linear as fuck and full of derp, every twist is forseeable far too early

Didn't really care for the C&C (too much derp, so who gives a fuck), but I guess they are a plus too.

Still, I had a lot of fun with this game, if only because of the combat mechanics and the high combat difficulty. Refreshing experience after playing several newer AAA titles with zero challenge.

Last edited:

Durwyn

Prophet

Gotta say this was the shittiest and most pointless teaser I've seen for quite some while.

I believe it's the first teaser ever that managed to actually decrease my hopes for the game. At least it showed their newest, most innovative feature - rolling.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's almost as if they ran out of money in the middle of making that thing and couldn't finish it; but decided to put it out anyway. :lol:

Last edited:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All teaser trailers have always been rather pointless I think, while 'gameplay trailers' have devolved into cutscene trailers.

:everythingisshit:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most teasers these days are a joke. It's not any worse than many other teasers out there. That's not saying much, though.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sadly, I pretty much have written off PB. With all the turn based INCLINE lately, this stuff used to fill a gap. Now I have no interest in action stuff since I now can play GLORIOUS turn based games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom