Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only point when you are railroaded to joining a faction is if you're retarded enough to approach the Inquisition despite numerous warnings and get pressganged into its ranks.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

The more I think back on Risen, the more I like it. I definitely had a good time when I played it. I just wish the second half was as fun as the first. I just don't give a shit about the titans and the saving-the-world stuff. More faction-based politics would have been welcome but I know that isn't what PB do any more.

Risen 2 had barely any politics and was basically 'Save the world, one island at a time'. I got about 3/4 into the game then I managed to delete my saves while changing hard drives around on my PC - it is Steam Cloud enabled, but your saves don't get uploaded to the Cloud right away, and it turns out that a great deal of my progress wasn't on the Cloud but existed only on my PC and once I wiped the local files, POOF. I realised I would have to go back 10 hours to an earlier save and I just couldn't face going through all that Ooga Booga voodoo tribe bullshit again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
1) The combat system was wonky/floaty in a way that made it irritating. I remember getting into a swordfight with some bandit in the swamp and being like "Why the fuck is there such a long delay between my hitting the attack button, and the actual attack?" It was frustrating as hell.

You sure you're thinking of the same game? The combat system is anything but floaty/wonky. Melee has a great feel and the only 'negative' is that there's no penalty for turtling behind shields as mentioned above. Now... Risen 2... that had shitty melee combat.

I'm not going to go point by point and disagree with you, but I have to say that when you say this word:

I have to wonder what you are talking about. Basically everything I wrote was couched in "I felt like" and "It seemed to me." None of them were "Factual" statements that could be challenged. FWIW, many of the reviews out there complained about the combat when the game was released, so my criticism there is at least grounded in a larger consensus that exists outside of my own opinion. But that's what we are talking about, here: opinions. Why are other people talking about "facts"? Your response to my gripes about the combat are simply your opinions, offered in the reverse.

I said I felt like I was railroaded into the town. That's true: I felt like I was railroaded into the town. You cannot argue with a person who is explaining their thought processes or experience. It is a waste of your time. Some posters mentioned that the world is wide-open, but that you will quickly get your ass kicked if you venture off the beaten path, and to be honest that's what this game felt like to me. Compared to say Morrowind, where not going to Caius Cosades house right away didn't mean you would get murdered. There was plenty of stuff to do before going to see him. On the other hand, Risen felt like it was pushing me in a defined direction by virtue of making all of the other paths unrealistic to travel down (considering my character level).

At any rate, all of the stuff people are saying about the factions could very well be true. Having eventually given up on the game, perhaps I missed those parts.

If you want to caution me about "facts" I feel I should caution you about defending the game because you personally liked it.

ETA: After this thread, I went through Steam and reinstalled it. Maybe I have put enough time between my original attempt, that I will find it engaging the second time through.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
There are things to do and places to explore before going to the first town. It's true that there are only two proper 'quest hubs' - swamp and town. The good thing is that although the town is under lockdown, you can leave whenever you like by jumping the walls, and then come back later.

In other words, it's perfectly possible to play in an exploratory manner. If the fact that you felt like you were railroaded into town is enough of a minus in your book, sure, that's your call, but if you do try to give another go then that's what you can do.

Dexter

Arcane
From the News thread:

Remember that the first time anybody heard about this was because they were testing at least 3 different DLC packets on Steam:
http://steamdb.info/sub/30405/#section_history
http://steamdb.info/sub/30407/#section_history
http://steamdb.info/sub/30409/#section_history
6 days ago Changed name Risen 3 DLC 4 Steam Store and Retail Key › Steam Sub 30405
6 days ago Changed name Risen 3 DLC 5 Steam Store and Retail Key › Steam Sub 30407
6 days ago Changed name Risen 3 DLC6 Steam Store and Retail Key › Steam Sub 30409

http://gematsu.com/gallery/risen-3-titan-lords/february-21-2014/
Risen-3-Titan-Lords_2014_02-21-14_001.jpg

Risen-3-Titan-Lords_2014_02-21-14_002.jpg

Risen-3-Titan-Lords_2014_02-21-14_003.jpg

Risen-3-Titan-Lords_2014_02-21-14_004.jpg

Risen-3-Titan-Lords_2014_02-21-14_005.jpg

Risen-3-Titan-Lords_2014_02-21-14_006.jpg

Risen-3-Titan-Lords_2014_02-21-14_007.jpg

Risen-3-Titan-Lords_2014_02-21-14_008.jpg
Found the PCG article on the Intertubes for people with :obviously: German skillz: http://imgur.com/a/xWHRF
ZhbtOL3.jpg

VcKihCq.jpg

kY0jFzW.jpg

2eIlXBY.jpg

DzqGNZD.jpg

BhEjLhj.jpg

2O5QMoK.jpg

Revenant

I thought the idea was he never actually lost his eye he just used the patch to cover the titan lens thing he ripped off of the Inquisitor. Of course, despite hearing that I never actually saw that illustrated or referenced in the game itself.
IIRC, a guard at the gate of the starting location of Risen 2 tells the hero that he struggled when the Inquisition wanted to remove inquisitor Mendoza's ocular from his head and then says "that's how you lost your eye". So, apparently, the hero of Risen 3 won't be the same as the one of Risen 2 (this point about the hero of Risen 2 "playing an important part in the game")? This would be the first time the tradition of having the same hero in the sequel broken in a PB game.

EDIT: the hero appears to be wearing an eyepatch in the scan of the magazine that was uploaded just a moment ago... Does that mean he is going to be the same hero after all?

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's a different protag, but he'll also get the monocle (WITH SUPAH INFRAVISHUN POWERZ... AND MORE! Cant wait for eyebeams)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Overly verbose rant.

tldr. Also comparing a PB game to Morrowind is moronic. Even Gothic 1 and 2 didn't have anywhere near the same 'freedom' you seem to crave. They aren't meant to be sandbox games like TES series.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
Freedom is a lot more than just a ton of superficial actions to engage to no purpose. The first two Gothics give purpose to their world - and what can be done in it, and the depth to the available freedoms, which are quite a lot, produces a mass of freedom that TES doesn't compete with.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I liked Risen a lot. Risen 2 was extremely flawed but I liked the concept. I live in pointless hope that Risen 3 is the best.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As much as I love G1 and NOTR... you're exaggerating.
Not that much though - the freedom in Gothic is much more meaningful than all the empty choices in Morrowind.

Are they, though? I never bothered too much with the houses in Morrowind but I thought there was some mutual exclusivity there. They only major C&C in the Gothics revolves around the factions you join and even then the differences in how the game plays out is only slightly different. In G1 you can do all the 'admission' quests for all the camps before choosing one and even after you join one you're still funneled towards the new camp after certain events take place.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the guy I was initially replying to meant freedom of exploration and obviously a TES game is going to trump Gothic in that regard but TES games are designed around being sandboxes whereas Gothics are more narrative driven.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Decent looking.

With PB nowadays it's like rolling the dice, but I expect it to be at least interesting. Risen 2 was interesting, even if it wasn't good.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game will feature magic, swords, bows, voodoo and ... firearms. Well, I'm concerned how all of this will be balanced.

And there are newer bits of information floating on WoR forum:

• The combat will be more "rudimentary", similar to Gothic 1 and 2.

It's about time ... but I don't trust this information. They said the same thing previously.

• There will be both muskets AND bows.
Whatever.

• There will be climbing in certain places.

Contextual climbing ... :P I guess is better than nothing.

• New hero, the character from previous Risen games will still play a starring role however.
Tbh I wasn't too attached to the one-eye drunktard.

• Quest related NPCs will be immortal.

Acceptable for me, probably a big no-no for others.

• Astral sight: the ocular will be used to see enemies flashing in red and detect chest loot and other stuff like this.

Wtf is this... Thiaf!? :)

• You find items belonging to dead people in the living world, return them in the world of the dead, and get bonuses, like loot locations.
Whatever.

• You will meet with the inquisitor from R1 in the land of the dead.

• You regain humanity by collecting "soul dust" in the world of the dead.
Dark Souls rip-off ... at least this time they don't try to copy some shit from Bethesda.

• Gameworld: biggest so far in a Piranha Bytes game.

This remains to be seen. I just hope is not another case of Gothic 3.

• Gameworld: there will be no single landmass, presumably islands.
Expected.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's wrong with Gothic 3's world?
Nothing wrong per se, but-
The uneven design where it's you versus a few hundred orcs in Myrtana, but fucking thousands of them in Nordmar, and barely any in Varant. In fact, just Nordmar.

Or how about a good majority of the quests falling smack under fetch quests?

Or the system of chest-looting that does not deliver a risk-reward ratio in accordance with the challenges encountered as you explore?

Nordmar is still a horrid fuckfest of endless Orc-rape.

Xeon

Augur
Kinda hoping the protagonist will be closer to R1 than R2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom