Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That only works if you jump into water. The 'other' way around from the inner cliffs into the city wall is blocked too. I believe you have to drop of into one of the beaches cliffs and hit a slight prominence midway that slides you off anyway so you get major damaged instead of killed
Or maybe drop into shallow water, but i'm pretty sure that kills if you touch the floor (shallow because the deep activates the sea monster death).

Huh I found it much easier to just use the farmer's clothing as a stepping stone from the outside wall near Lobart's Farm. There's a part of the wall near the corner where the two paladin guards protect the upper quarters that you can latch onto if you drop the clothing there and just stand on them. Really, other items will work too but the clothing is the easiest to use.
The mod is a total conversion, the story is different, no farmer clothes. Probably the weapons drop method would still work

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
SCO

bro is Velaya any good?
It is both good and bad. Good with quest ideas, bad with horrible, comically disastrous translation. Only try if you are amused by Amideutsch. It's also quite long, a whole game really. The ending is really amazing in a bad way (they didn't translate the very final piece of dialog :M ). But there are fun quests in between.

Murk

Arcane
The mod is a total conversion, the story is different, no farmer clothes. Probably the weapons drop method would still work

Oh you meant in the Velaya mod. I played the first maybe 2-3 hours of it. Seemed like its worth a revisit, at the time I didn't have time to really play it properly. The translation is seriously hilari-bad but then the gameplay and "changed world" was decent enough.

Farmer's clothing is best saved for Greg. Plus going in from the sea gives good xp.

You can do both; if you use the clothing as a stepping stone you can just walk out and grab the clothes then give them to Greg. You can also just run up the chain of the moat or side-step around the guards after jumping over the moat (to avoid walking along the draw bridge). They all give the same 500 xp bonus when you talk to Lares.

Oh right and you can use the lighthouse's little peninsula near the weird walk-ways that connect Skip to the Militia Barracks and jump down from there.

My go to is to use the clothing to jump over the wall, get the XP, go back and give the clothes to Greg, then to use the herb method to get in officially.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/risen-3-blazing-oceans-teased-by-german-multimedia-firm-dluxe-media/

Our reader Johnny Bravo has informed us about a possible leak of the third part in the Risen series. The German multimedia firm ‘Dluxe media’ revealed via its Facebook page that it has scored a contract which involves the creation of the soundtrack for “Risen 3: Blazing Oceans”. Dluxe media has already deleted that post, howeverRPGWatch member ‘Moriendor’ has managed to take a screenshot of that post.

This is the first time we hear something about a new Risen game. And quite frankly, we hope that Piranha Bytes will be able to offer us something a bit better than Risen 2. You know, like a game with a proper PC inventory system and some better combat mechanics.

If that title is also true, we can expect this new Risen game to be centered around… oceans. The return of Risen 2′s pirate-theme seems plausible at this state, though we hope that Piranha Bytes will also experiment with something else.

It will also be interesting to see which platforms Piranha Bytes targets for this new Risen game. The PC platform is a given, but what about the consoles? Will Piranha invest on the fan-base of PS3 and X360 or will it move on to next-gen. After all, it’s no secret that Piranha had difficulties porting Risen 2 to current-gen consoles.

Here is hoping that the team will unveil more details about it in the coming months.

For now, enjoy the teaser image!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
yeah I heard the pirate theme went down well with fans of Risen....
naaaaaat.

hopefully it just means it has a lot of water. like wind waker!

piranha bytes seem to be one of the most incompetent developers out there (judging from decline in quality and their recent interview answers) so I don't hold any high expectations.

oh and that logo is butt-ugly.

maybe it's an iphone game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So basically it would be about what I estimated. They mentioned the expedition behind ocean, and now we would get something like an Assassin Creeed IV.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
naaaaaat.

hopefully it just means it has a lot of water. like wind waker!

piranha bytes seem to be one of the most incompetent developers out there (judging from decline in quality and their recent interview answers) so I don't hold any high expectations.

oh and that logo is butt-ugly.

maybe it's an iphone game.

The pirate theme wasn't the issue, the execution was. People wanted real and gritty pirates, instead they got cheesy-ass 6-year-old's cartoon pirates. And the quest structuring (there pretty much was none) didn't live up to PB classic standards. If PB work on their quests, and if they don't make cheesy lame pirates, the game will be good. Some of the environments in Risen 2 are stunningly gorgeous.

PB aren't incompetent in terms of development skill and capabilities, but they've been incompetent in their last few games in terms of judging what makes for a classy design decision (cheesy pirates, point-to-point quests) and what their fans and the market would respond to.

So basically it would be about what I estimated. They mentioned the expedition behind ocean, and now we would get something like an Assassin Creeed IV.

PB were on the pirate wave first, and their fans complained about no high-seas combat in R2, citing Ass Cred IV as an example of shipshape piratey-ness, It's no shock that they're biting the bait.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Pirate theme is the least of its problems. Gothic 2 also had a pirate side plot and you generally don't hear people complaining about it.

Delicieuxz

Cipher

And my OP link article was posted in April 2013. Just took a while to get around to English, and then to being seen, I guess.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
Well, for those that do, this it's good that the soundtrack went into production 2.5 years ago, because then the game can't be far away now!

I just hope they did something to improve the quests and quest structure.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Pirate theme is the least of its problems. Gothic 2 also had a pirate side plot and you generally don't hear people complaining about it.
having pirates and being pirate themed are two different things though. BG2 had pirates.
but okay. I don't really know about "Risen fans" anyway, I just presumed because I thought it was shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
having pirates and being pirate themed are two different things though. BG2 had pirates.
but okay. I don't really know about "Risen fans" anyway, I just presumed because I thought it was shit.

Pirate stuff was iffy but I really liked the colonizing period stuff. Nice setting for an RPG and rife with opportunities for social commentary. Would like to see that expanded if there is a Risen 3.

Repressed Homosexual
After this comment from the douchebag developer, this company is well dead and buried, all the intelligent people who understood how to make a game are either gone or have lost their influence. Dark Souls is the new old-school ARPG series of choice.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
Regarding the Blazing Oceans logo in that info leak:
Michael Rüve;21045842 said:
Logo's utter BS and was originally posted April 2012 in the German section here on WoR. By a one-time poster.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
Regarding the Blazing Oceans logo in that info leak:
Michael Rüve;21045842 said:
Logo's utter BS and was originally posted April 2012 in the German section here on WoR. By a one-time poster.

After this comment from the douchebag developer, this company is well dead and buried, all the intelligent people who understood how to make a game are either gone or have lost their influence. Dark Souls is the new old-school ARPG series of choice.

Hasn't the developer gone typical AAA? I thought they said so themselves. ARPG != RPG, though. PB has an RPG heritage and fucked up in the RPG area of their last game. I think they got an earful about it from their fans, too. So I'm waiting to see what's what with the next game before making a judgment call.

Here's regarding the Dark Souls dev:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7340-Guns-Blazing

"... widening the net a little. I'm not saying every Skyrim player's going to be jumping on board, but it would be nice if some of them did." "Going guns blazing and hoping to God that it works."

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
The Blazing Oceans leak was talked about in this very forum when it first came out. So meh.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually I'm kinda glad they are calling them Action adventures, which is more fitting term. RPG should imply a load of text user can and should click trough and read, and also detailed character model and inventory system. If they called BG2 as an turn based Action adventure, well it was not that much about quick reflexes, but it surely ha a lot of combat.

What is the logic behind the marketing strategy? What are the advantages of a complete silence, regarding even the name of the project?
Gotta ask that to the people responsible for the marketing strategy. Which have never been located with or employed by us. Not for Risen, not for Gothic either. Publisher's prerogative.
Found this.
So they are working on a new RPG, and they are forbidden to talk about it at all. That's quite sensible considering theirs previous buggy efforts. Less talking about current project on forums, more work done on project, and less expectations which would backfire after release.

They are adorable little buggy developers, though I wonder why didn't they learned programming yet.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Today, Piranha Bytes and Deep Silver released a patch for the original retail version of Risen 1 which will remove the Tagès copy protection (DVD check).

This finally puts players who paid full price for the game on par with those who purchased the recent cheaper editions. Now everyone should be able to paint Faranga red without having to juggle DVDs.

The patch is available for download on our servers and according to Piranha Bytes is specifically meant for the original retail version (boxed). It is not meant for the Steam version.

Update: Due to a buggy installer, the patch will only work reliably on the release version! If you have already installed patch 1.10, it can happen that the installer runs through just fine but does not actually install anything. This depends on the variant of the 1.10 patch installed (according to a statement by Deep Silver made in the German forum, several variants are in circulation).

To get the patch working for sure, install Risen fresh from the DVD and then immediately apply the Unprotect patch. Do not apply patch 1.10 at any time (it is not needed as it is already included in the Unprotect patch).

In other news, there absolutely no information about the new PB game.

Edit: There are two guys from PB which fuck around on the WoR forum and below is a selection of quotes in no specific order:

PB: You have noted that we (in fact Sascha in October 13) have declared that we are not making Gothic V, right?

PB: Now on the other hand I've seen animation sets specifically made for women in our current project, so...

Any information will come with this new year?

PB: Yes

PB: It's definitely much darker than our game before.

How do PB define "dark" nowadays?

PB: There are several things I would define as dark. For example in Risen 2 there's this kind of caribbean feeling. A lot of palms, bright sun a.s.o - not very dark
s_072.gif
So in conclusion the environment has a major role when it comes to a darker setting. Different NPCs do also take their part. Not every person should be friendly towards the player. Furthermore the story itself. If your plot is the search for bubblegum forest it's hard to convey a feeling of a dark setting.

Rivers: Yes.
Forest: Yes.
Underground tunnels: sort of...
Castles with a princesses held captive: no (Damn Mario I hate you this is a serious question ^^)

My personal opinion is that we have several things which make our game good. For example playing to our strengths. What do our fans expect and what can we do, to deliver a great gaming experience. We noticed that there were some discussions about the changes we made in Risen 2. So within our new game we tried an approach which Björn called "back to the roots" and for me it works fine
s_064.gif
. I can't go into detail which adjustments are within our game but let's not drop the question. I guess in the near future there's a lot more to say about our vision of back to the roots. But let me say that a living world with a lot to explore plays a part within this vision.

Last edited:

Visperas

Augur
I'm not holding my breath even if Gothic 1 and 2 are among my favorites games of all time... And that's just sad...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom