Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pimp my Stalker

v1rus

Arcane
Heard that Stalker can look ph amazing with some modding, so figured I should finally man up and beat the darn thing. No, I'm not scared of Russian mutants, I swear.

Now, where the hell should I start? Any tips and advice are going to be quite welcome

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Master

Arbiter
Russian mutants

Hey, that's not a very nice way to refer to Ukranians.

Fuck, yes, I forgot it actually happens in you know, Chernobyl. The fact that its named Stalker always makes me think of a "some fuck deserted place in middle of Russia."

Yes because stalker is a famous russian word... What?:? Dont use Autumn Aurora as it makes everything too brown. Do what MotherMachinae said instead.

v1rus

Arcane
Russian mutants

Hey, that's not a very nice way to refer to Ukranians.

Fuck, yes, I forgot it actually happens in you know, Chernobyl. The fact that its named Stalker always makes me think of a "some fuck deserted place in middle of Russia."

Yes because stalker is a famous russian word... What?:? Dont use Autumn Aurora as it makes everything too brown. Do what MotherMachinae said instead.

Because Stalker is a flick from one of the most famous russian directors, based on a famous russian short story :p

stalker-movie-poster-1979-1020549828.jpg

Master

Arbiter
:negative:Fuck im getting too old for this shit. Guess its time for another Stalker replay.

Master

Arbiter
No i watched it some time ago, i just forgot how it was called.

The Tarkovsky movie is excellent IMO, but definitely an art-housey film as opposed to anything resembling the video game. Roadside Picnic by Strugatsky bros, the source material, is actually a bit more like the game. I recommend the book to fans of the game, the movie only to people who like very slow-paced philosopical films like anything by Tarkovsky, Bergman, etc

Master

Arbiter
So, playing SOC with this Autumn Aurora thing. Does anyone know how to turn off the stupid motion blur?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
So, playing SOC with this Autumn Aurora thing. Does anyone know how to turn off the stupid motion blur?
Best bet is to go to MyDocuments/SHOC-SC/user.ltx and find anything related to bloom and blur and put zero in all values.

Mikeal

Arcane
For "Shadow of Chernobyl" Dima's Mod.
For "Clear Skry" Ceanos Compilation Mod, Old Good Stalker Mod, The Faction War or New Zone Mod.
For "Call of Pripyat" Misery or Dark side of the Earth.

I would say skip everything besides CoP with the Misery mod. You can't get much better than that.

Pretty much this. A lot of people will recommend SoC for some reason, which I think is nostalgia. Unfortunately you are stuck in tiny maps which don't allow the AI engine to shine at all, and with stupid design (hey, let's put equipment degradation and day/night cycles in the game but not any way to repair said equipment or wait/sleep). The latter can be fixed with mods, the former will hamstring you forever. The only thing that SoC does better than CoP is arguably the story.

bussinrounds

Augur
I remember reading (think it was here) that they screwed up some things with Misery after the 1.2 patch or something like that, and you should stick with that one ?

I remember reading (think it was here) that they screwed up some things with Misery after the 1.2 patch or something like that, and you should stick with that one ?

Nah, ignore the luddites. There were some issues in the initial 2.0 release regarding enemies tanking headshots, but those have long since been fixed. 1.2 feels much more unpolished and feature incomplete compared to the current versions.

Master

Arbiter
I would say skip everything besides CoP with the Misery mod. You can't get much better than that.

Pretty much this. A lot of people will recommend SoC for some reason, which I think is nostalgia. Unfortunately you are stuck in tiny maps which don't allow the AI engine to shine at all, and with stupid design (hey, let's put equipment degradation and day/night cycles in the game but not any way to repair said equipment or wait/sleep). The latter can be fixed with mods, the former will hamstring you forever. The only thing that SoC does better than CoP is arguably the story.

OGSE mod adds repair and sleep, better AI and a bunch of other stuff. As for the smaller maps in a way they make the game more alive because the AI collide with each other so often. COP gave you more breathing space but felt more tame as a result - if that makes sense and doesnt sound too hypstery.

So its not nostalgia. SOC is as good as COP just in a different way and with mods its almost the true successor to System Shock 2.

As for the smaller maps in a way they make the game more alive because the AI collide with each other so often. COP gave you more breathing space but felt more tame as a result - if that makes sense and doesnt sound too hypstery.

Keep in mind, AI intensity in SoC was actually turned down to the point where the features promised before the game's released like mutants hunting each other were relatively uncommon, so really SoC was the tamest installment in the series despite the small maps. In Clear Sky they compensated by putting AI activity on overdrive. It took them several tries to find a good balance between the two, which can only be accommodated by CoP's large maps. There is nothing like crossing the Zaton swamp to get to the highlands, hear some gunshots far in the distance that you know come from actual simulated NPC interactions, and explore every nook and cranny of those large maps. You end up experiencing cool tonal shifts, from mellow wandering straight out of the film to crazy, unscripted firefights. SoC just doesn't compare, IMO.

Not necessarily saying that SoC is a bad game, just that CoP is a cut above the rest of the series. If you have to play only one of these games, CoP with Misery Mod is the way to go, I think.

Master

Arbiter
That may be true for vanilla but modded SOC is a whole different story. One thing it has that COP doesnt is random anomalies after a blowout which is the coolest idea ever.

v1rus

Arcane
So, decided to pick the game again, and since I've never beat vanilla, thinking of using the complete mod, since it doesnt change anything in the way of content, does it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom