Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part 2 gets story trailer, release date is now February 16th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not really, only people who weren't paying attention thought that. MotB had a full year of development time.

So you're saying it's better to have publishers now because Feargus slamdunks even tennis balls?

Hmmm. Look at it this way - four different RPG developers have found it worthwhile to spend some time overhauling their current games rather than directly continuing on to develop a sequel (or an MotB-like "expansion sequel"). Wasteland 2 DC, D:OS EE, Dragonfall DC, and PoE: The White March (and its accompanying patches). That suggests that there are good reasons for doing this. PoE just happens to be the only one of them that's also come up with some new content to sell during that post-release Year of Edition Enhancement, which makes people more aware that they're not getting what they really wanted.

Prime Junta

The combat's come a looooong way since 1.0 by the way.

There's really massive scope for different styles of playing this thing. You can play rock-paper-scissors with buffs, debuffs, and mass damage, (and there are a LOT of them), you can take on a paladin with Zealous Charge, check the "Keep moving when engaged" box, and pretend you're playing DoTA, you can play Team Alpha Strike and then figure out how to survive the survivors, you can make a phalanx with shields up front, pikes in the back and meticulously shred everything in your way, you can build a dedicated mobile striker who zips out to kill high-value targets and spread out the battlefield as your main force chews through it and so on and so forth. I've tried most of these and they work, they're effective, each has its own, specific challenges to overcome, and they feel completely different.

The AI is also way, way improved. It now uses its abilities somewhat intelligently, attempts to target your squishies, and generally makes much more of a PITA about itself.

Difficulty is still a problem though; the game only 'feels right' on PotD -- on lower difficulties everything works because nothing (other than a couple of optional boss fights) is all that challenging, unless you go after it really, really underleveled. But hey, at least there is PotD.

Prime Junta

Currently playing PotD with no casters onboard at all. It's fun.

Edit: other than Kana but that hardly counts.

PrettyDeadman

The combat's come a looooong way since 1.0 by the way.
Didn't they break the game by introducing immunities and making already lacking variety in viable builds/strategies even more restricted?

PrettyDeadman

lacking variety in viable builds/strategies

:hmmm:
Like before you had several viable disables but they made half of the monsters outright immune to all but one type of disable now. And I don't mean like some monsters are immune to one type of disables and others are immune to other type of disables. It's like all monster immune to all types of disables except one and almost none immune to that one type of disable. It's stupid! Now it's almost impossible to kill adra dragon without retarded abuse (I am glad that I gave 50 at every stat to my main character at char creation, it actually feels less stupid and more honest than the way developers intended the game to be played).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I understand what you meant. It's just a funny thing to say when:

1) You're talking about a game where a large portion of its critics think it has too many viable builds.

2) You're replying to a poster who just gone done explaining how many awesome builds he's used.

But sure, I'd love to hear what PrimeJunta thinks about the damage immunities.

PrettyDeadman

2) You're replying to a poster who just gone done explaining how many awesome builds he's used.
I guess I should've cited the part which made me ask question:

You can play rock-paper-scissors with buffs, debuffs
I know that he didn't say anything about disables here, but it feels like disables should be part of this sentence, unless (as I suspect) disables are now out of question because obsidian broke them with late changes. Now the only thing you can do is buff yourself to do more damage to monsters and recieve less damage from montsers and debuff monsters to do more damage to monters and recieve less damage from monsters. Doesn't feel that appealing to me. Don't get me wrong, I play a lot of arpg and I find it very satisfactory to stack all these +50% elemental damage and -30% elemental damage resistance skills and items, but it's not what I want from party based rpg.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
I banish thee to the furthest depths of the abyss. Forever forced to hold Gaider's toupee while fist fucking the endless stream of biowhore cocksuckers who lap up every drop of jizz and marvel through blood splattered faces at the awesome glory that is Dragon age 2.

I give you some advice:

Please stay away from this place unless you want your asshole to be torn asunder. Stay far far away.

Prime Junta

Re the immunities, I think they're a good thing, in particular the immunities to particular types of CC. Being able to knock down a dragon or blind a slime always was both dumb and counterintuitive. They force you to shake up your toolkit a bit and try different things.

The damage type immunities don't change that much IMO. Some critters always had high damage resistances to particular types of damage, so you'd treat, say, electrical resistance 40 as functionally equivalent to immunity anyway and wouldn't try zapping bolts of lightning at it. I think the biggest change is the big friendly "Immune!" that pops up, telling people that maybe they ought to try something else.

Pretty you're playing it wrong

PrettyDeadman

tfw when you confuse a resurrected shitposter account with a legitimate poster :argh:
I left for a while because I found general rpgcodex crowd to be retarded and have shit taste in games. When I saw Undertale review I decided to give it another chance.

PrettyDeadman

Pretty you're playing it wrong
Do you have some kind of let's play of POE or can you recommend something to get a general idea how to play it properly (like more strategic, some interesting novelty runs (but not some of those gay all characters from some peter jackson movie kind of runs))?

Prime Junta

Check out the Characters, Builds, and Strategies forum at Obsidz. There's more there than you can shake a stick at. Failing that, ask Boeroer, he's as knowledgeable about Pillars as Roguey is about Josh.

From where I'm at though your question is too general. There are many ways to play it properly, so you'd need to say a bit more about what kind of playstyle you're looking for.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Pumped 255 hours into Pillars Of Eternity, due to always growing bored by the start of Act 3 and eventually restarting the game a couple months later. Would still like to beat this thing though.:S Hopefully this new DLC and patch adds some interesting stuff that'll keep me engaged for longer.

Fairfax

Arcane
Pumped 255 hours into Pillars Of Eternity, due to always growing bored by the start of Act 3 and eventually restarting the game a couple months later. Would still like to beat this thing though.:S Hopefully this new DLC and patch adds some interesting stuff that'll keep me engaged for longer.
Act 3 is terrible, but Act 4 is just the final quest, won't take you long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom