Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

the_shadow

Arcane
How is that fictional level 8 Barb supposed to survive 4 bitter mornings? Because its their first cast and you wont kill em in time.
I did tank them with a roided out Eder just chugging 100 hp potions and the rest dropping fireballs but that was too wasteful for me...

Why Level 8? Concelhaut is an optional end-game boss.
Because otherwise the argument of a two hander that procs on hit vs vessels trivializing an encounter makes 0 sense? Level 16 wizard solo trivializes that encounter. See?
That two hander does not trivialize that encounter because its not killing the wands in 4 seconds if the barb is level 8 as is Eder for me.

I don't think that's quite the point. The thought-process is that having a two hander that destroys vessels on hit would trivialize an encounter if your party is adequately leveled for that encounter. Note that I didn't make the argument, I've only fought Concelhaut once and don't remember much, only that the fight was pretty straight-forward after completing White March Part 2.

Your game mechanics breakdown is pretty good though. I'm assuming that items that cast spells (eg. the armour that casts Sunbeam) benefit from accuracy spell buffs? I've never really bothered thinking about this, since the only item I ever used regularly for spell effects was the Forgemaster's gloves.

Parabalus

Arcane
l just how ridiculous PoE1 priests are.
Yeah, priest paladin monk mix is probably the dirtiest group to fight, sprinkle some druids in and oh boy!

Yeah, there is a pack of Ondrites on the map with WM2 meteor who will buff to 200+ defenses if you let them. Nasty if unprepared.

The priest spells are just ridiculously overtuned.
Cleansing Flame does 160x3 targets base , Storm of Holy Fire does 216-270 base in a huge AoE. Both then benefit from INT and MIG multiplicatively leading to insane numbers.

Unwanted

Sextant

Unwanted
I havent used such high level powahs yet.
But I did level up just to check, Magran, such power!
z4687aa.jpg

Parabalus

Arcane
z4687aa.jpg

Enemies can use Cleansing Flame on you and it will reliably oneshot your PCs unless you counter.

The worst part about the spells is that Magran has 3 range for some morbid reason. The damage comparison is 180-270 vs 300-450 base, it's kinda misleading with Aloth vs Durance attributes.

Cross

Arcane
z4687aa.jpg
So the 1st level wizard spell has a longer blinded duration, a higher accuracy, an interrupt efect, a wider radius and more than triple (!) the range than the 8th level priest spell? Nice balance there, Sawyer.

No wonder Durance felt betrayed by his goddess.

Unwanted

Sextant

Unwanted
I think the worst part is the level delta of 7. Come on man, be honest. You get your EPIC level Priest spells. You killed MULTIPLE dragons and your deity payoff is a buffed Chill Fog... Reasons for Heresy 101

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not saying the balance is good, but in general Accuracy vs Will instead of Fortitude shouldn't be underestimated as a differentiator between spells (good against dumb tough enemies)

Non-friendly fire AoE is nice too.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In PoE in general spells' usefulness is very circumstatial, mainly due to the fact that they rely on accuracy vs defense to hit. Spell Level doesn't tell you much about how strong a spell can be, or at least tells you a lot less than a D&D spell's level would.

A system where spells were guaranteed, or near-guaranteed to hit, would have made casters much more powerful...
thinking.png

Unwanted

Sextant

Unwanted
In PoE in general spells' usefulness is very circumstatial, mainly due to the fact that they rely on accuracy vs defense to hit.
I disagree. Because your point is theoretical only. Its what Sawyer thinks is happening in his game.
For even if an enemy has 120 in Reflex and 100 in Fort, I am targeting Reflex...
Practically there are 2 types of enemies in Pillars. Those immune to Blind and those who arent. And thats like 1/9 split and I am probably generous.

Parabalus

Arcane
A system where spells were guaranteed, or near-guaranteed to hit, would have made casters much more powerful...
thinking.png

Casters are already better than martial classes in PoE1, particularly the 3 Vancians are above the rest. Why make them even more broken?

Infantry

Educated
just don't be a priest of quarterstaves and you'll be fine

SAAAAAAAAAAAAWYEEEEEEEEEER

Priests of Wael (can get +16 accuracy with quarterstaves within the first four levels; re-spec later in the game when this boost becomes moot) with Durance's staff (early game) and Llawran's stick (mid to late game; you can "superlash" it) disagree with you.

Delterius

Arcane
just don't be a priest of quarterstaves and you'll be fine

SAAAAAAAAAAAAWYEEEEEEEEEER

Priests of Wael (can get +16 accuracy with quarterstaves within the first four levels; re-spec later in the game when this boost becomes moot) with Durance's staff (early game) and Llawran's stick (mid to late game; you can "superlash" it) disagree with you.
yes but everyone using the soulbound staff except the priest of staff is just evil

Valtiel

Scholar
I don't remember shit about POE plot in preparation for Deadfire, where all the youtuber with plot summary and "lore" analysis:argh:
I was going to do one myself but couldn't be bothered. This video isn't very good but gets the basic details:

It's amusing that he literally doesn't pronounce a single character's name right

Ty, found this that is a bit more explaining

So... basically Thaos did nothing wrong?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
thinking.png

Casters are already better than martial classes in PoE1, particularly the 3 Vancians are above the rest. Why make them even more broken?
I aim to rebalance them. They should be powerful, but should need protection by non-casters.

2house2fly

Magister
That second video is definitely a lot more comprehensive. A similar video for the expansion, or just incorporating the expansion into a video like this, wouldn't go amiss since many people who played the first game, and likely many people who will play this game, didn't get to the end of the expansion.

A brief summary of the expansion's main plot, in case it's helpful:
in the expansion, your character is asked to aid the people of the White March. There is an ancient forge there called Dugan's Battery, which used to trade in magnificent steel but all the workers mysteriously vanished one day and the doors magically locked. The people of the White March want the doors of the Battery opened so they can create the legendary steel once again . Using your Watcher powers, you figure out how to open the door of the Battery and descend to the White Forge, where the spirits of the dwarves who used to work there tell you that they were wiped out by strange eyeless creatures, and the White Forge is special because it is where the god Abydon, who presents himself to his followers as a metallic golem, was created. Upon reigniting the White Forge and opening Durgan's Battery once again, you are plagued by dreams of a mysterious army laying waste to the world. You find that followers of the Goddess Ondra are plotting something in relation to the White Forge, and make your way to The Abbey of the Fallen Moon, deep in the mountains. You find the Abbey constructed around a gigantic skeleton, which is revealed to be the skeleton of Abydon's original body- he was killed trying to prevent Ondra from keeping the secrets of the gods by destroying ancient Engwithan ruins. She created a new body for him at the White Forge, and used constructs he had created, called the Eyeless, to destroy any knowledge of the site. With your discovery and the reopening of the forge, the Eyeless will soon kill anyone who knows about it, which at this point is a lot of people including yourself. You go to the lair of the Eyeless, and end up talking to them. They contain some of Abydon's memories and wish to return them to him. You can allow this or destroy them, or, depending on choices you made in various quests, you can convince them not to restore his memory, or to only partially restore it.

Parabalus

Arcane
thinking.png

I aim to rebalance them. They should be powerful, but should need protection by non-casters.

Never seen you complain about Stoneskin, PfMW , SI:X, ST, etc., they are both much more self-sufficient and powerful in IE.

Besides, only real problematic self-buff is Arcane Veil+maybe some Llengraths (more a lack of enemy purges), priest stuff is overpowered but affects whole party, while druids don't have any strong defensives, so I'm note sure what exactly you're aiming for, makes me curious.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Ok, in one post you say casters are broken, then you defend a point by saying "I haven't seen you complain about stoneskin in the IE games".

Parabalus

Arcane
Ok, in one post you say casters are broken, then you defend a point by saying "I haven't seen you complain about stoneskin in the IE games".

That's not really defending a point, I was interested in your motivation behind

since PoE making casters more fragile than their IE counterparts (do you disagree with this?) is a step forward IMO. They are still (arguably too) powerful but can't also trivially tank better than martial classes.

Modron

Arcane
Yeah White March is a significant improvement over vanilla, fewer and better encounters, better writing and quests tended to have more outcomes to them than the base game, itemization is actually interesting albeit crafting gets kind of OP, companions were interesting, et cetera. If you've slogged through the base game you really should play the better part of it especially since you don't sound burnt out on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom