Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

2house2fly

Magister
There's another diving helmet you can find as a reward for completing the task with the missing child. I think you can find it anyway but she lowers the Mechanics required to detect it.

Escaping with the diving helmet is a bit too easy to do imo, since you don't even need to have it equipped, and it kind of obscures the fact that there are some other fairly neat ways to avoid dying at that bit.
If you have Con 19+ you just swim to safety.
Devil Of Caroc just walks out because she doesn't need to breathe.
If you released the souls of the Pargrunen they reincarnate as lagufaeth and save you.
If you have the horn that summons ogres you can just make them do it.
If you're solo and don't meet any other requirements then Ondra saves you.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I feel like people are trying the Raedric fight with only MC, Durance, Eder and Aloth and that's why they find it brutally difficult. It's actually not that hard if you go at it with a full party.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I feel like people are trying the Raedric fight with only MC, Durance, Eder and Aloth and that's why they find it brutally difficult. It's actually not that hard if you go at it with a full party.

Which is kind of weird, considering that I've only ever gotten the quest from kolsc after returning the blacksmith's goods. I know there are other ways to trigger kolsc, but if you've already gotten durance and/or the goods, why not go 1-2 zones further to caed nua to grab kana as well? (I like to do maerwald asap, so I can start building up my keep)

Lacrymas

Arcane
I think it's a "collect them all" mentality where people feel like they have to complete all quests in a given "cluster" and then move on.

the_shadow

Arcane

The Raedric fight is brutal if it's the first time you've played the game and fight him as soon as you can. If you play a bit further into the game to not only level up a couple of times, but also learn which spells/abilities are your bread and butter, the fight is challenging but doable.

The more I play the more I feel that it was made frustrating on purpose. Who in their right mind, makes one of the very first enemies in expansion a swarming horde of roided lizard people that immediately paralyze your whole backline. Or making most elementals pierce immune (making your backline borderline useless again if you are out of spells). Making most spells unusable outside of combat too, like bitch, let me decide how do I initiate the fight, even the iconic Monster Summoning + Fireball / Cloudkill combo is impossible. Even though I already complained about retarded rest mechanic, I will do it again, since I recently got out of Caed Nua dungeon and that was just absurd, had to resort to console command for resting, otherwise it's just insane to go back on the upper level through 8545849 loading screens to get your measly 2 supplies that last about 10 minutes. AI in fights has no fucking consistency either, it will either randomly snipe your key targets even though they are WAY back and join the fight after the pull, or just gets stuck and runs around proccing disengage freebies. Meleeing with anything but tanky fighter is a nightmare, characters get stuck all the time, besides despite the engagement mechanic, mobs tend to switch to whatever comes in range, making tank effectively useless for melee party.

Fuck. This. Game.

I can only hope that they did their homework in preparation for Deadfire, but they had 2 years to get PoE right after release too and if that's the best they came up with...

Also the step sound bug hasn't been fixed since release, pathetic.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You are quite bad at understanding/mastering the mechanics, and I heavily recommend playing on a lower difficulty.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
  • Story Time - Story Time mode is for players who are more interested in exploration and story development than the challenge of combat. While Story Time is active, the enemy composition of battles is the same as Normal difficulty, but the game mechanics are biased in the player's favor. Additionally, the party can carry an unlimited number of Camping Supplies.
  • Easy - The Easy difficulty requires minimal micromanagement an easily forgives mistakes in combat. It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED for those who are new or recently-returning to real-time party-based RPGs.
  • Normal - The Normal difficulty requires strategy and efficiency, but forgives a few mistakes in combat. It is NOT recommended for newcomers to real-time party-based RPGs!
  • Hard - The Hard difficulty is suited for Infinity Engine veterans who are looking for a challenge. Survival requires micromanagement and optimization of stats through items, spells and abilities.
  • Path of the Damned - In Path of the Damned difficulty, enemies receive a bonus to most stats and encounters have many more enemies. Warning: this option can't be changed in-game! It is only intended for players who want the most punishing encounters!

Those descriptions should make it pretty clear that unless you find yourself frequently bored by games with tactical combat, you shouldn't jump to PotD on your first go. Yeah, there are some folks here who are all "go PotD or go home!" but they're like the top 1% with regard to skill in this particular genre (admittedly a good number of them end up congregating here for obvious reasons).

Prime Junta

Could it be that mechanics in question just suck a fat dick?

That's irrelevant. Good or bad, you're clearly having trouble understanding/mastering them to the extent needed to beat it at PotD.

There's no shame in that, I played on Hard for a long time before switching to PotD and I would have hated it had I chosen it for my first playthrough.

2house2fly

Magister
Even though I already complained about retarded rest mechanic, I will do it again, since I recently got out of Caed Nua dungeon and that was just absurd, had to resort to console command for resting, otherwise it's just insane to go back on the upper level through 8545849 loading screens to get your measly 2 supplies that last about 10 minutes.
you don't have to do the entire dungeon all at once

Reading the bit at the very start of the game that explicitly states that was indeed quite difficult, yes :lol:

You can't switch off of POTD, for whatever reason, you fucking dunce.

I didn't realize that the shilling squad was on full alert today. You can't even dispute any of those things, so all you got left is the "git gud" gist.

Now while we are it, show me where exactly did I say that I have problems with difficulty in the first place.

There are really challenging games out there, PoE isn't one of them, it's just incoherently designed, encounters have no rhyme or reason to them, there's way too much filler combat all the while rest mechanic (that most skills are tied to) is extremely punishing (not to mention, time consuming) and limited for no fucking reason at all (they gave up on this retarded iteration of it in Deadfire too, go figure). + all of the stuff I mentioned above.

Now in case you have trouble reading (and you shills certainly do) I'll repeat,

I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH DIFFICULTY I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH RETARDED DESIGN DECISIONS THAT MAKE NO SENSE. INFURIATINGLY POINTLESS NONSENSE THAT PROVIDES ZERO CHALLENGE AND JUST MAKES THE GAMEPLAY ANNOYING AND FRUSTRATING INSTEAD OF BEING ACTUALLY DIFFICULT.

I'm gonna beat this pile of shit into submission just to make a point, but holy shit you people need a reality check.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
rest mechanic (that most skills are tied to) is extremely punishing (not to mention, time consuming) and limited for no fucking reason at all

It's limited as a soft punishment to encourage you to Play Properly. If they had gone with a hard punishment, you would have been brickwalled a long time ago.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Now in case you have trouble reading (and you shills certainly do) I'll repeat,

I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH DIFFICULTY I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH RETARDED DESIGN DECISIONS THAT MAKE NO SENSE. INFURIATINGLY POINTLESS NONSENSE THAT PROVIDES ZERO CHALLENGE AND JUST MAKES THE GAMEPLAY ANNOYING AND FRUSTRATING INSTEAD OF BEING ACTUALLY DIFFICULT.

I'm gonna beat this pile of shit into submission just to make a point, but holy shit you people need a reality check.

This hole thread is a toxic echo chamber. Just avoid it, and make a note to be more skeptical of the judgment of the Codexers who regularly post here in the future.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Now while we are it, show me where exactly did I say that I have problems with difficulty in the first place.

'k

The more I play the more I feel that it was made frustrating on purpose.
had to resort to console command for resting
measly 2 supplies that last about 10 minutes
Meleeing with anything but tanky fighter is a nightmare
Ended up fighting the guy, damn that was brutal
On POTD all sorts of ghosts are downright broken, I forgot how I hated those fuckers
it just takes years to take them down

Sure sounds like you're having problems with difficulty. In the first place.

fobia

You can't switch off of POTD, for whatever reason, you fucking dunce.

"Warning: This option can't be turned off in-game!"

That's right there, when you click on PotD in the difficulty menu.

800px-UI-Options-Game1.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Sometimes, "git gud" is the proper response, and this is one of those times. Everyone can attest to the fact that I'm not a PoE shill, so, yeah, the problem is you.

Quillon

Arcane
Everyone can attest to the fact that I'm not a PoE shill

You are the biggest PoE shill of all! Thousands of posts just to lower people's expectations in the last year so they can be pleasantly surprised when Deadfire releases. Obs can't thank you enough!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
rest mechanic (that most skills are tied to) is extremely punishing (not to mention, time consuming) and limited for no fucking reason at all

It's limited as a soft punishment to encourage you to Play Properly. If they had gone with a hard punishment, you would have been brickwalled a long time ago.

Funny thing is, the new resting mechanic actually made the game easier for grogs. It took me a bit to dig up the particulars:

I've consistently been able to go such a long time without using camping supplies on Hard that I'd usually rather fast-forward back to an inn for the ludicrously OP buffs, even though, on balance, I don't really need the buffs one way or another. An entire floor or two of Od Nua/an entire dungeon are fairly common. I've done several of the hardest fights with no buffs or freshly-used camping supplies, and 95% of the time I forget/decide not to use my Ales.

I just like having those rested buffs. This is the way I played the IE games: I NEVER rest-spammed. I finished combats as conservatively as possible, trying to use up every last spell and get down to the last drops of health on my characters until I had no choice but to rest, and even then I'll take risks.

I pity people who are too retarded to avoid rest-spamming by virtue of their own preferences and self-discipline. Good thing Nanny Josh is there to force you to do it "right"!

On the other hand, I'm sure White March, which fixed everything according to the wise Infinitron, smoothed this out as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom