Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Going to replay it in preparation for PoE2 having a hard time deciding what type of wizard im going to make.

I sure hope WM encounter and monster design is superior, one can stomach only so much retarded shades and swarming animals.

On POTD all sorts of ghosts are downright broken, I forgot how I hated those fuckers back when I was going through the game for the first time.

I sure hope WM encounter and monster design is superior, one can stomach only so much retarded shades and swarming animals.

On POTD all sorts of ghosts are downright broken, I forgot how I hated those fuckers back when I was going through the game for the first time.
Git gud.

I'm not getting killed by them you elitist dipshit, it just takes years to take them down as low level party, since you have fuck all to increase accuracy/decrease deflect.

Parabalus

Arcane
Clearing the Eothas temple is a real pain if you do it with only Eder, Aloth, Durance and at lvl 3, which is likely what you'll have normally. Best to come back later.

Specifically, burn damage that targets fortitude wrecks them quickly. Wizard has few spells for that.

What besides combusting wounds? That IIRC ignores DR though so it's good. Others are all Reflex.

I know it's a PoE thread and all, but ya'll are a bit dense.

I complain about shades being annoying, specifically - how long it takes to bring them down (it's neither hard or involving, just long)... meaning I don't like wasting time on meaningless bullshit.

NOW, since it's a low level party and I have only one wizard and it's POTD, I have both limited supplies of spells and camping consumables (and there are like 5 rooms with shades on one floor), besides most if not all of those low level spells are aoe and If my front liners are going down because of it i'll be forced to waste them supplies sooner, which means more running around and even more time wasted on retarded design decisions (and long ass loading times, even on ssd). And no I can't kite them properly to make some room for my boys to start AoEing the shit out of everything, since shades and shadows have shadowstep and get on your backline in a few seconds of the fight, unless you pull them with your tank and stand in a chokepoint so their shitty AI bugs out and they just go in 1 by 1, but then again, I can't really start AoEing my frontline as I mentioned above, so we are back to square one.

Shades suck a fat dick, that's all.

Ulfhednar

Savant

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, if it's the Eothas temple, the intent in the second level is that it's supposed to be "too difficult" encouraging you to come back later.

Additionally, since it's right there in town, backtracking to the inn to rest is something they figured people would do.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Keep in mind that the xp gained from combat negligible, and you don't need to clear out the whole second level in order to solve the quest.

Yeah, if it's the Eothas temple, the intent in the second level is that it's supposed to be "too difficult" encouraging you to come back later.

Additionally, since it's right there in town, backtracking to the inn to rest is something they figured people would do.

i'll be forced to waste them supplies sooner, which means more running around and even more time wasted on retarded design decisions (and long ass loading times, even on ssd)

It's like i'm talking to myself.

Whatever, that shit is over and done with, just had a fight with necro lady in roedrick's hold, the whole thing was twice as short, compared to a random shade pack. Seems silly is all.

Btw I might be misremembering something, but i'm pretty sure the Hold was a mini-quest hub of sorts, with that hollowborn sub-plot, now though the only option is to wreck it, or so it would seem, either guards in the main gate, or zombies in sewers (you can also climb on the west side, but i'd imagine it will end up with fighting anyway). Also what happens if you opt-out of killing the necro chick and go after the priest instead?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The loading times should hardly be an issue at all at the beginning of the game, unless your save folder is packed with files. :M

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There are two or three quests/tasks you can receive in Raedric's hold. One of them is Raedric's counteroffer.

Prime Junta

Btw I might be misremembering something, but i'm pretty sure the Hold was a mini-quest hub of sorts, with that hollowborn sub-plot, now though the only option is to wreck it, or so it would seem, either guards in the main gate, or zombies in sewers (you can also climb on the west side, but i'd imagine it will end up with fighting anyway). Also what happens if you opt-out of killing the necro chick and go after the priest instead?

You can still deal with Raedric's Hold with minimal fighting. Don't know if you can do it with no fighting at all; possibly if you've pumped the right skills.

Ended up fighting the guy, damn that was brutal. Took me like 15 tries and even then I had to resort to chokepoint tactics and sacrificing one of the boys (I think it's downright impossible otherwise, unless you have massive level advantage that is). Barely had enough damage, thankfully got a few lucky crits on key targets, would probably die again otherwise.

Morkar Left

Ended up fighting the guy, damn that was brutal. Took me like 15 tries and even then I had to resort to chokepoint tactics and sacrificing one of the boys (I think it's downright impossible otherwise, unless you have massive level advantage that is). Barely had enough damage, thankfully got a few lucky crits on key targets, would probably die again otherwise.

Yes, it's one of the few good fights.

Parabalus

Arcane

Why do you think that?

The second especially seems degenrate, by JES standards. As in, he figured that wouldn't happen when he designed it, but was proven wrong after release, hence Deadfire rest system. Pretty sure JES was optimistic about the impact of PoE1 system on rest spammers, wasn't he?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why do you think that?

The second especially seems degenrate, by JES standards. As in, he figured that wouldn't happen when he designed it, but was proven wrong after release, hence Deadfire rest system. Pretty sure JES was optimistic about the impact of PoE1 system on rest spammers, wasn't he?

It's degenerate if it's after every fight. It's not if you go several fights, retreat back to the surface once your resources are drained, then go back in to mop up the rest.

Ninjerk

Arcane
You can make those fan of flames scrolls for the ghosts (I think there is a level requirement but its fairly low), and there may even be one that is lootable in the big marsh map with the trolls. 1.0 Triple crown runs needed to use them for a couple of ghost pulls.

Starwars

Arcane
Reaplaying this in preparation of Deadfire. Just finished main quest for White March part 2. There are some really neat little touches here and there, like how you give the person left behind to strike the crystal with Abydon's Hammer the Diving Helmet, an item you get through one of those Stronghold quests, in order to make the companion survive the ordeal.

Love those little things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom