Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If there's no printing press why are there so many copies of the same book?

JS: That's a good point. There really should not be that many books in the world. We put them in there just because we like having books all over the place. But you're right, it's not realistic; it would take a very long time to make all those books.
So they were so preoccupied with dumping their lore on the player that they forgot that those lore books contradicted their lore on the printing press not existing?

:lol: Talk about missing the forest for the trees.

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but this is another thing that the Infinity Engine games handled much better. Planescape: Torment, for all its walls of text, doesn't have a single lore book in the entire game. And while Baldur's Gate had tons of them (and was the obvious inspiration for PoE's lore books), by the sequel Bioware seemed to have learned their lesson and left them out almost entirely.
Can't even get being an edgy phaggot right.

Sizzle

Arcane
I don't even see the point of not having the printing press.

It seems like something they came up with in the early stages of world-building that was supposed to be important to the game, they realized it didn't make sense - you can't have loads of BG-style books laying around everywhere and still claim that books are really rare because of the lack of printing presses - and so they phased it out.

Cross

Arcane
It would make sense for the Leaden Key to want to prevent its widespread use, to keep people from becoming enlightened and deducing the true nature of the gods. Of course, that's not what they went with at all, so it's another weird narrative choice.

I remember a ton of books in BG2.
Weird. I must not have bothered with them after finding most of the lore books in BG1 boring, because while I still remember BG1 having lots of lore books, I don't remember there being many in BG2.

Still, that doesn't change my point. The printing press did exist in the Forgotten Realms at the time of the Baldur's Gate games. By contrast, there were dozens of Kickstarter updates and interviews with Sawyer where he talked about the notable absence of the printing press in the Pillars setting. To then turn around and stuff mass-produced books in every nook and cranny of the game world is bizarre, to say the least. It suggests that Sawyer considers his own world building to be an afterthought.

Last edited:

Comte

It seems like something they came up with in the early stages of world-building that was supposed to be important to the game, they realized it didn't make sense - you can't have loads of BG-style books laying around everywhere and still claim that books are really rare because of the lack of printing presses - and so they phased it out.

I believe the entire printing press thing is due to this game being heavily influenced by Darklands.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Any world where the gaming press doesn't exist is good enough with or without printing or gods.

This is the true Leaden Key Hand Occult, whatever, agenda.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No you got it all wrong, it's the "I had a shitty teacher back in elementary school and hate reading so I want to prevent other people from having to read by preventing the printing press from spreading" Cult, led by some crazy old guy with an interesting motivation behind his actions.

You can convince him to allow the printing press to be developed by giving him a book that's not shit.

Sannom

Augur
When it was first revealed the sequel was going to take place in the Deadfire, I was almost sure they were going to bring her back as a companion.

It would have made perfect sense, her being a pirate and Aumauan. Luckily, they didn't go the obvious way there :D
Doesn't she go back to Rautai and settle down in one of her endings?

It wasn't the leaden key.. it was a different group, the Hand Occult, that I can't really remember seeing in the game:
Aren't they Wael followers?

Quillon

Arcane
When it was first revealed the sequel was going to take place in the Deadfire, I was almost sure they were going to bring her back as a companion.

It would have made perfect sense, her being a pirate and Aumauan. Luckily, they didn't go the obvious way there :D
Doesn't she go back to Rautai and settle down in one of her endings?

Wouldn't have mattered. Eder also goes back to Aedyr in one of his endings.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Desire to make pennance ?

Carlo Gesualdo, a relatively famous Renaissance composer and nobleman, sought penance by having his servants beat him every day because he killed his wife when he saw her cheating on him. If they are seeking penance, it's pretty weak sauce compared that.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The White March is a bitch. I'm level 9 (PotD), and the Gleaming Society is fucking kicking my ass. There are just too many of them. Confusion isn't as powerful as it used to be. The enemies that turn green just sit there instead of attacking now. Creating chokepoints, but their fucking monks are just so damn fast. They pass right through, giving two fucks about taking disengage damage, and run straight to Aloth and Durance. I've been having Durance throw all these buffs up, but this shit is ridiculous.

Just killed the motherfucker. Picked the bridge as a chokepoint instead of the castle/watchtower thing. Was still difficult. These motherfuckers were running around with exceptional armor.

Last edited:

fobia

Question for our PotD connaisseurs.

I just started a playthrough on PotD with a Wizard as MC and the story companions.
While playing around at character creation I noticed that my Pale Elf Wizard can have 20 PER and 18 INT, while leaving everyhting else at 10.
If I want to play him primarily as a controller and secondarily use Kalakoth's Minor Blights +Deleterious Alacrity (+ maybe Dangerous Implement) for some damage, will that work?
Or won't I get through enemy damage reduction after early levels?
Does it even make sense to take the spells and blast talents with suchs stats on PotD, or should I focus only on controlling without high MIG?
So far I only played the tutorial and of course damage with the wand was abysmal, but I hit and critted a lot with Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff.

I'm not asking whether this is optimal, I know it isn't. Just whether it's doable, or whether I'll be stuck because of DR.

Prime Junta

Very doable. If you have someone else focused on DD it’s even close to optimal.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
You'll be fine, but leaving everything else at 10 is a bit of a waste. You recognize the importance of Perception and Intellect for making your spells and attacks count, so for consistency I would suggest dumping Resolve and adding the points to Dexterity for even more offensive power. Arcane Veil (and Hardened Veil, if you'd like) will let you get all the Deflection you need for the fights that actually matter.

I finished the game, the expansion and all the side content on PotD as a Wizard. My base Might was 10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom