Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Piotrovitz

Savant
Deadfire pack items are OPd and should be toned the fuck down, especially you can get them so early.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Deadfire pack items are OPd and should be toned the fuck down, especially you can get them so early.
Agreed - I hadn't even promoted any of the soulbound weapons when I wrote that. The captain's cap confuses enemies when they crit you after its first tier promotion, which is hilariously OP, and the arbalest gives you 15% chance for prone AND stun. Reading the descriptions for the others, they sound better than several of the soulbound items that are already in the late game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
They are pretty powerful,i forgot that item buffs don't stack and ended up with tow soulbound items that have similar buffs. The cap and the belt.

v1rus

Arcane
Where are companions not in your active party located? Scattered around the world, or in the fortress?

Ulfhednar

Savant
Where are companions not in your active party located? Scattered around the world, or in the fortress?
If you've recruited them, but they are not in your six-member team, you should be able to change party members at any inn - just talk to the innkeeper.

Codex Year of the Donut
strongest member of my party is, by far, Itumaak.
ilrmyi.png

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Eder's obsession with Itumaak is the only reason I like Sagani's boring ass.

Tygrende

Arbiter
I'm going to replay PoE while waiting for Deadfire. Only finished it once shortly after release, supposedly it's a lot better now with all the changes and expansions. I think I could use some info and a few suggestions.

I heard that guns were nerfed hard and suck as a main weapon now but I don't care, they are one of the few things I really liked about PoE. So I want my PC to use an arquebus as his main weapon. I don't want him to be an island not-orc gun jungler that carries 4 arquebuses because muh immersion, he will be using the arquebus most of the time, occasionally switching to a pistol to finish off a low health enemy. I'm having a really hard time trying to decide what class to pick- rogue, ranger or, surprisingly, paladin.

My 1st playthrough was with a rogue. 50% more damage from sneak attacks and 100% more from deathblows on top of the 25% bonus from crippling/blinding strike is nice, but they require setup, especially deathblows. Meanwhile both ranger and paladin can get even greater damage with wounding shot/flames of devotion with little to no setup. Another issue with rogues is that they have no class-specific ranged accuracy bonuses whatsoever. They can get 20% hit to crit conversion, but since chance to score a hit is capped at 50% this amounts to 10 more crits in 100 attacks in the best case scenario. Meanwhile 10 accuracy will not only give 10 more crits out of 100 attacks, it will also reduce the amount of misses and/or grazes by the same amount. Both ranger and paladin can get over 20 bonus accuracy. I don't think I'm going to go with rogue.

Ranger gets a pet but I'm completly uninterested in that, never liked animal companions. +15 accuracy when attacking the same target as the pet is nice though, so is +10 accuracy on wounding shot, so is +10 accuracy and 20% damage with vicious aim. The 50% bonus reload speed swift aim has sounds fantastic for a gun build that doesn't juggle, but supposedly it gives dimishing returns if you have gunner and the reload speed chant. Wounding shot can deal some pretty high overall damage with the DoT. There's also powder burns but I'm yet to see how it works. Overall it would be a decent choice I think but I really don't want to deal with the pet.

Paladin is the class I'm leaning towards right now. Flames of devotion seems to be an extremaly powerful ability for a slow hard-hitting weapon like the arquebus, 50% more damage and +20 accuracy is huge. I'm pretty sure that with enduring flames, intense flames and scion of flame this would give me the most powerful single attack possible compared to other classes, correct me if I'm wrong. Then there's sworn enemy that gives another +15 accuracy and +20% damage, 6 accuracy from zealous focus nicely compensates for 5 less accuracy paladins have (I heard flames of devotion suppresses that though, can anyone confirm?) , deprive the unworthy seems bordeline OP in boss fights, healing and reviving allies, instantly destroying spirits and more. Also I could pick runner's wounding shot on top of all this, it's barely weaker that the standard version.

I would appreciate any insight into this, tips, things I might be not aware of, that sort of stuff. I'm worried paladin might not be as good as it seems on paper.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You are crippling yourself if you don't go Aumaua with max Might and Quick Switch. Switching guns makes you skip the lengthy reload times and is probably the only way to do some decent damage with those. What I'd do is go Ranger and use all the Spellchance guns I can, like Silver Flash, and use Powder Burns to spread as much of the spells around and then switch to Stormcaller when that is over with. There is a Paladin build around St. Garam's Spark, but it's fundamentally a support build. Going only a single gun with no switching WILL make you feel like your character is somewhat bad in terms of overall damage and gameplay, it's very static and you are waiting for reload times more than actually doing anything.

Parabalus

Arcane
Paladin is the class I'm leaning towards right now. Flames of devotion seems to be an extremaly powerful ability for a slow hard-hitting weapon like the arquebus, 50% more damage and +20 accuracy is huge. I'm pretty sure that with enduring flames, intense flames and scion of flame this would give me the most powerful single attack possible compared to other classes, correct me if I'm wrong. Then there's sworn enemy that gives another +15 accuracy and +20% damage, 6 accuracy from zealous focus nicely compensates for 5 less accuracy paladins have (I heard flames of devotion suppresses that though, can anyone confirm?) , deprive the unworthy seems bordeline OP in boss fights, healing and reviving allies, instantly destroying spirits and more. Also I could pick runner's wounding shot on top of all this, it's barely weaker that the standard version.

I would appreciate any insight into this, tips, things I might be not aware of, that sort of stuff. I'm worried paladin might not be as good as it seems on paper.

I had Pallegina setup as a support with arquebus for my PC Cipher. With this arquebus, the Paladin talent and Cipher power it's +45 ACC which stacks with all "normal" buffs. Not all unique to the arquebus, but this one has marking + distracting (the gun Lacrymas mentions has marking, this is a late upgrade), didn't find a better combo on a ranged weapon.

Regardless if you go with quick switch (annoying tbh) or not, you definitely need a chanter. Both +speed chant and +fire damage chant (benefits from scion and stacks with Pala stuff) are irreplaceable. Will likely be a bit boring for PC though.

I think the Ranger described above sound more fun. There is the Cipher with 4 blunderbusses who you switch for quick focus, they also have native +50 attack speed later. All the other classes don't have any better synergy really, you did rogue already.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People believing in "builds" for PoE - a game where it literally doesn't matter what abilities you take at level up - never ceases to amuse me.

It only makes sense as a strategy to self-condition yourself that your level up choises matter.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd say PoE's builds are more customization options than builds. A lot of builds end up playing the same and picking up the same feats, but that's because some classes lack a diverse class-specific feat selection, especially Druids.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have over 350 hours in my completionist playthrough of PoE, the only one I finished, and a good number of hours in unfinished playthroughs, mostly as Bleak Walker or Rogue. I'm always on PotD. My wife has a completionist playthrough as Monk. She started on PotD but eventually got so fed up with the uninteresting combat, that from Act 3 she just switched to Story time, because she was too overleveled (without playing TWM) and tired of killing trashmobs with repetitive strategy.

In all our play time, we never planned ahead when levelling up, just pick what seems most beneficial, don't make evidently dumb choices

Lacrymas

Arcane
Or pick the feats that look the least shitty, which is what I ended up doing at the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom