Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Sentinel

Arcane
It's not bad but it lacks editing and it's just exhausting to read (and play) through it because of the excessively oppressive and doomy mood that lacks any contrast, so it's about as exciting as listening to the same musical note being played for 80 hours.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's a complicated answer. It's not bad, but it's not good either. It's also not mediocre. If you want to play it for the writing, however, don't. It's a mess and not because of lack of contrast, it just doesn't make sense and it's overwritten to the point of exhaustion. Words, words, words, words, WORDS, a never-ending torrent and none of them important. Sure, Numanuma is worse in this regard, but that doesn't make PoE better.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Gotcha. I've always had the impression that Obsidian's writers are fairly well-read and interesting people though so even if it's a sort of stream of consciousness from those guys I'm thinking it could be worthwhile. I wasn't really expecting the game to be exciting, but I sort of assume that the game has much more depth than pretty much any game to come out in the past many years.

That said, I still don't get why it's $45 (doesn't even include DLC wtf). I could probably pick up a complete collection of Nietzsche's works for like $3 or free from the library but they wanna charge me out the ass for this game?

I'd pay 5 dorrar

Lacrymas

Arcane
You got the wrong impression :p The good and well-read writers are long gone, with almost none of their writing in PoE surviving at the end. I think only Sawyer is left from the "old vanguard" and, yeah, he's an interesting person and can write when he wants to, but he can't do the whole game all by himself. PoE is not the stream of consciousness of an interesting and erudite writer, it's the unedited first draft of average video game writers.

Parabalus

Arcane
It's the best isometric party RPG that came out this decade. If that isn't worth the shekels, what is?

They'll likely lower the price when Deadfire releases tho, surprised they didn't yet. Wouldn't bother playing the game without the expansion, which is 30 more. Best to try it out and buy if you like it.

Writing gets a lot of flak but not like all IE games were literary masterpieces and they are more than playable.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Wait for sale. It's only that expensive in the offfseason, it was for 12 bucks in Humble Bundle just a few months ago.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Dawkinsfan69 protip: search the 'dex for "boring". My pet theory is that Sawyer made the team listen to Aimee Mann albums every day, but I cannot prove this.

AoD, Underrail, Dragonfall and Original Sin were all good in their own ways. I recommend checking out one of those if you're waiting on PoE price drop.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd rank PoE higher than DivOS. Only when taking into account WM2, though. I have a lot of complex thoughts about PoE after WM2, before that its ability to make me want to slit my wrists was unparalleled, but after playing through WM2 I feel differently. It's ...weird. I wouldn't replay it any time soon, though, so there's that.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
To each his own. I'm not ranking them, merely suggesting lower-priced alternatives I enjoyed. Dawkins seems like a storyfag so AoD might be the best match assuming he hasn't played it yet.

Lacrymas

Arcane
AoD is currently at -75% off on GOG, so there's that. It's a great and almost unprecedented game, so it's a must play.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
games stay at full price forever now with big sales 4 times a year because it appeals to people who buy games cos they're a fiver (even though they may never play them) and also people who aren't price sensitive enough to care and just want to play the game now.

the same as chain pizza joints where menu price is $15 but a quick google gets you a code for $5. they make $1 off the people who put the effort in and $11 off people who don't care without losing either customer base.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Man I'm dying to play this, but why the fuck is it still like $40 4 years after release?

IDK if I believe you guys when you say it's no good.. Every Obsidian game I've played has been so much incline in terms of writing that it's hard to believe this would suck unless they made this with a different team or something. That said, I haven't played anything by them since FNV so..
A discount is bound to happen in just 8 weeks, so don't worry.

It's good for what it is, the conditions they produced it under, the KS stretch goals they had to meet, and the Unity tech they were learning as they were making it.

IMO, when discounted, it's worth it just for the expansion.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Got a copy of it and so far (maybe 1-2 hours in) I like it a lot.

Only thing that bothers me so far is that some of the dialogue options make my character seem like a total retard.

One of the first companions I picked up told me his background story which involves killing some dude who claimed to be the incarnation of a god.. He said he gave the guy a 'drythan welcome' or something along those lines. Dialogue option was:

"What is a drythan welcome?"

Like DUUURRRR wtf am I playing as a social retard or autist or something? My char has 16 int too so it's not like int is too low to read between lines in dialogue or something. I'm noticing that dialogue options like that pop up a bit too frequently.

Besides that the writing's good and the story is holding my interest so that's pretty chill

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Eh, they are easily identified by their coloured name tags... and best left alone. Well, except the first guy in plate in Gilded Vale... scavenging plate is quite nice at the beginning of the game.

Hyperion

Arcane
He said he gave the guy a 'drythan welcome' or something along those lines. Dialogue option was:

Like DUUURRRR wtf am I playing as a social retard or autist or something? My char has 16 int too so it's not like int is too low to read between lines in dialogue or something. I'm noticing that dialogue options like that pop up a bit too frequently

I take it you didn't click on that response. Eder's response is, "We blew him up." It's a joke. There's nitpicking, and then there's nitpicking. Never change, Codex.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
He said he gave the guy a 'drythan welcome' or something along those lines. Dialogue option was:

Like DUUURRRR wtf am I playing as a social retard or autist or something? My char has 16 int too so it's not like int is too low to read between lines in dialogue or something. I'm noticing that dialogue options like that pop up a bit too frequently

I take it you didn't click on that response. Eder's response is, "We blew him up." It's a joke. There's nitpicking, and then there's nitpicking. Never change, Codex.

You wish that kind of thing was a joke.

Prime Junta

Eh, they are easily identified by their coloured name tags... and best left alone. Well, except the first guy in plate in Gilded Vale... scavenging plate is quite nice at the beginning of the game.

Or, for the fashion-conscious who choose to eschew armour, scavenging a Vailian outfit from someone else there. :M

Hyperion

Arcane

You wish that kind of thing was a joke.

...You know the game tells you it's a joke, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom