Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I think a million copies is a huge success on a kicstarted game with 4 million budget. Especially in context of them getting almost 5 million in another kickstarter to make sequel. They went from a small dev team that worked for publishers and were on a verge of collapse to basically a mid-sized company with a bright future. I don't think anyone working in Obsidian has any complaints what-so-ever.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's interesting to note that BG1 "sold 2 million copies" (I'm giving it in quotations because I can't find out in what time frame they sold), while PoE only 1 mil-ish (I doubt GOG has 1 mil sales). I wasn't one of the "original" buyers of BG1, I was 5 when it came out, and I'm sure I'm not the only younger fan up to now, but it leaves me with a question - where are these extra 1 million people (let's assume everyone bought 1 copy) that PoE is missing?

Mazisky

Magister
1 millions sales on 4 million budget is a huge success.

I read on an article that costs\gains hit an "even" point on 25 Millions costs x 1.5 millions sales.

Quillon

Arcane
1 millions sales on 4 million budget is a huge success.

I read on an article that costs\gains hit an "even" point on 25 Millions costs x 1.5 millions sales.

Course its a big success for Obs. But for me to say its a huge success game should have sold 1 mil in the first month instead of 300k minus the backers(which was the calculation in the first month of Pillars 1). Perceived success :P

They put plenty of their own money into it (and the publisher's). More like 8-10M.

They put their own money but I remember the budget end up being 5.5M or so. Don't think it was 8-10M nor have I heard Paradox put money.

Mazisky

Magister
well, do the 4 millions on kickstarter count as a cost? if not, they game costed like only 3 millions (if total budget is about 8).

They said Xcom 2 sold quite well (1.5 millions) and the productions costs were about 15\20, so Pillars should be high in comparison

Fry

Arcane
It's safe to say Obsidian considers PoE1 a big success since they immediately started working on the sequel.

Personally, I think there's a sizable chunk of PoE1 buyers who never played the IE games or played them so long ago that they forgot what they were like. They took one look at Pillars and said "nope". Those people won't be back, but there's probably enough people who liked the first game that it will still do well enough.

My talking-out-of-my-ass prediction is 500K copies over a year. If the gameplay actually turns out to be more casual-friendly, who knows.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
1 mil in the first month
Practically impossible outside of AAA mainstream.

BG1 sold 2m copies eventually and it hardly faced any direct competition at release. Heck, TW1 sold 2m by 2010 and only 300k during the first three months - a much more accessible game based on a very popular novel series. D:OS sold 1.35m on Steam and I doubt it's more that 650k across other platforms. PoE is probably somewhat behind D:OS but it was released later.

2m was the whole market 20 years ago and nothing has changed ever since.

Quillon

Arcane
Are there any recommended mods to use?

There are 3 notable mods; use one of the first 2 and 3rd.

Eternity's Gate - total conversation for classes & combat, using D&D counterparts.
Or
Break Up Mod - removes engagement, adds a diamond ring to inventory.
And
Brevity - edits out redundant parts from descriptive text in dialogue /english.

All three is in steam workshop.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They should pay that modder for his/her editing pass. I have the GOG version (duh), so I assume I can't use the mods in the Steam workshop?

Sentinel

Arcane
PoE doesn't have Steam Workshop.

tW9FHc0.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
I installed PoE because a friend of mine is coming over and I'll make him play both BG1 and PoE for a bit and get his newbie commentary on what he thinks is better, or at least more engaging for a first time player.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I played through the opening "dungeon" and I constantly had this nagging feeling that it could've used another optional level, to make it a proper dungeon and a good starter one. You get a hint that there's more levels to the ruin in the beginning, so instead of the gem opening a secret compartment with a few items inside it could've opened a secret passage to the second level. Maybe finding the cause of the ooze infestation there.

Lacrymas

Arcane
So, we played through the prologues of both BG1 and PoE and this is what he thought about them. There's a caveat, however, he's not that much into RPGs, he likes action games more. With that said:

Character creation: He thought that PoE's attributes were more complex than BG1's. He said the skills (lore, mechanics etc.) were a bit weird to be apart from the attributes. He understood them, though, so it's not like it's confusing to the point of being unable to figure them out.

Aesthetic: Pillars of Eternity is much more colorful and has a bit cheaply engaging SFX, more for younger audiences (think kids) and reminded him of arcade games. It was a bit too much for him. He said that he doesn't think that's bad, just an observation. The models are a bit stale and not expressive, kind of like made of plastic, they could use more life-like, let's say, "animations".

Interface: He thought the UI of PoE was a bit more categorized and compartmentalized, so it made it easier for him to use.

Combat: He played a Mage and Wizard in BG1 and PoE respectively, and PoE wins hands down because of more things to use at first level. The combat flows more smoothly as a result and you interact with the game more during combat.

Prologue: Here's where I was surprised at his insight. He thought that Candlekeep was a better prologue because it contrasts more prolonged peaceful times with sudden battles that surprise you.

Writing: BG1 wins because the dialogues were more naturally flowing and they represented normal human interaction, as opposed to PoE where things are explained AT you. You aren't a part of the conversation in PoE, just there as a non-entity to be talked to. He thought the story hook was better in BG1, i.e. when Sarevok kills Gorion.

Final verdict: In the end, he thought that he'd like to continue both, but he was more interested in finishing Baldur's Gate first.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Final verdict: In the end, he thought that he'd like to continue both, but he was more interested in finishing Baldur's Gate first.

Smart. Saves the best for last :D

How hand holdy were you when he played BG? When I tried it, I didn't understand UI/controls at all, having had played only NWN2 & DAO prior, it was frustrating as fuck.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Smart. Saves the best for last :D

How hand holdy were you when he played BG? When I tried it, I didn't understand UI/controls at all, having had played only NWN2 & DAO prior, it was frustrating as fuck.

I had to show him in both games how to find his spells to cast and had to guide him to Winthrop in BG1. At first he didn't understand that he had to talk to named NPCs for quests, but he got the hang of it pretty fast. I had to show him the book in the hay, but that's the only quest I had to help him with.

There are 3 notable mods; use one of the first 2 and 3rd.

Eternity's Gate - total conversation for classes & combat, using D&D counterparts.
Or
Break Up Mod - removes engagement, adds a diamond ring to inventory.
And
Brevity - edits out redundant parts from descriptive text in dialogue /english.

All three is in steam workshop.
hello, I've been searching for these mods but I could not find any of them apart from a IE (collection of) mods all merged into one.

I'm especially interested into brevity :P. Would you kindly put a link? Pretty, please?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom