Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Delterius

Arcane
Why are third worlders who already bought something complaining about a price they don't have to pay?
Because in between ebola, drug trafficking civil wars, yankee imperialism and a general shortage of decent wheat flour our steam privilege is all we have.

Parabalus

Arcane
DGaI6bq.jpg

I wondered...and oh, it's Paradox. It's backlash of Paradox increasing prices in some regions. Other Paradox games are getting hit too.

I looked it up and they increased prices from 20%-100% depending on the game for all regions outside the US. They adjusted every single fucking title and DLC individually.

I really wonder who's doing their sales projections - they pretty much slapped a "PIRATE ME" sticker on all their games, I'd be surprised if they make more money in the end and they seemingly put a lot of thought into this.

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
Price was very low considering game on release was sold for less than what i paid as an early bird backer but who the fuck thought raising price from 65 to 99 years after release is a good idea?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh seems like the kind of guy who would push for at least all the major bugs to be patched even if PoE didn't do well financially.

Sure, but the call to spend resources on patching ultimately isn't his to make.

Fairfax

Arcane
Why are third worlders who already bought something complaining about a price they don't have to pay?
Because they increased prices to trick people and make a bigger profit during the Summer Sale, and they also increased DLC prices, which the angry users don't necessarily have. I'd also assume that some of these users are replacing their old reviews. It's possible they simply wouldn't recommend the game at its current price, which would make perfect sense considering how significant the changes were in some regions. Prices went up by almost 100% in Russia, for instance.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
It's possible they simply wouldn't recommend the game at its current price, which would make perfect sense considering how significant the changes were in some regions. Prices went up by almost 100% in Russia, for instance

However, there is a certain type of person who would be angry if the price went up by even 5%.

Sizzle

Arcane
Josh seems like the kind of guy who would push for at least all the major bugs to be patched even if PoE didn't do well financially.

Sure, but the call to spend resources on patching ultimately isn't his to make.

Certainly, but what I meant was that in that case, it wouldn't surprise me if he spent his own time and/or money to independently "fix" it like he did with his F:NV mod.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Here's an interesting question, does Prey on the Weak, work with the cross-class Apprentice's Sneak Attack? Do they stack? I think it would be an interesting class concept.

EDIT: Turns out it does and it's a viable PotD build, good to know. Which means I know what character to play in PoE2.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Pillars sold well, but unfortunately the kind of sales we're seeing with TTON and Tyranny are probably an accurate representation of real, non-kickstarted inflated market for these sort of games. Even if both had lukewarm receptions, they are sort of AAA games of indie world, and should be selling a lot better.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They're both lousy games though. :M

I'll only be concerned if a good game underperforms.

Bonerbill

Augur
Pillars sold well, but unfortunately the kind of sales we're seeing with TTON and Tyranny are probably an accurate representation of real, non-kickstarted inflated market for these sort of games. Even if both had lukewarm receptions, they are sort of AAA games of indie world, and should be selling a lot better.

I like Pillars a lot, and even I agree. I doubt PoE2 will get close to the numbers of PoE in the same amount of time if you look at the recent trend of CRPGs.

DOS2 will sales over million though for obvious reasons.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Deathfire's failure will be on account of its gameplay/writing. :rpgcodex:

Mazisky

Magister

How many average sales TTON and Tyranny?

Like 1 million is poor for a triple AAA but a success for a game under 15\20 million cost

Lacrymas

Arcane
Neither TToN nor Tyranny sold 1 million copies lulz. Not even combined. It's also worth mentioning that some people who have an interest in RPGs (like me) didn't buy Tyranny and/or TToN because they are shit.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

How many average sales TTON and Tyranny?

Like 1 million is poor for a triple AAA but a success for a game under 15\20 million cost

Steamspy numbers

PoE; Owners: 901,712 ± 25,935
Tyranny; Owners: 205,770 ± 12,399
TTON; Owners: 127,922 ± 9,777

I assume there would be about 10-15% of that in GoG too.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
but unfortunately the kind of sales we're seeing with TTON and Tyranny are probably an accurate representation of real, non-kickstarted inflated market for these sort of games.

I think small changes can produce big ripple effects in terms of sales.

Prime Junta

Deathfire's failure will be on account of its gameplay/writing.

Mmmyeahno. The gameplay changes are likely to be a net gain in the player base (for every grog who boycotts it due to the health and magic changes, more than 1 casual will buy it), and the writing is unlikely to be worse than in P1 -- they have lost some writing talent, but they're putting a bigger effort into editing and have had much less schedule pressure.

If P2 does fail, it will likely mean that the market for this style of game dried up.

For the record, I don't think it will fail.

Lacrymas

Arcane
PoE2 is already not a failure because of the Fig campaign. It raised more money than the KS for the first one and I'm pretty sure fans of the first will play the second. Hell, I'm not a fan of the first and will play the second. So, yeah, probably not a failure. It might not exceed sales of the first one, which will show that this genre doesn't have growth potential, at least not now.

Mazisky

Magister
PoE2 is already not a failure because of the Fig campaign. It raised more money than the KS for the first one and I'm pretty sure fans of the first will play the second. Hell, I'm not a fan of the first and will play the second. So, yeah, probably not a failure. It might not exceed sales of the first one, which will show that this genre doesn't have growth potential, at least not now.

PoE 2 will sell good, and i'm pretty sure even those who disliked PoE will give it a try. Also, it's more like generic fantasy so there is more chance that PoE2 can grab some casual too, compared to Torment or Tyranny

Lacrymas

Arcane
PoE2 won't have a generic fantasy setting though, at least I hope not. Unless they copy Chult, but it, too, isn't a generic fantasy place.

Quillon

Arcane
Pillars didn't sell well or nobody thought it sold well in the first month but it made Obs good moneh without a publisher taking a huge percentage & now after 2 years with the game being on sale many times its sitting around 1 mil and most everyone consider it a huge success. I wasn't here but a lot of people saw it as underwhelming, some said "it was "ok" sales & Obs will make a profit" etc but nobody said it was a big success back then unlike now.

All things considered I think Pillars sold "ok", it isn't a huge success just cos some other games "failed" which either lacked promised content & have very bad implementation of a critical feature(combat) or lacked expected content(longer & "complete" story) & marketing without the crowdfund backer hype. Ofc it is a big success for Obs but I've seen successes with small budgets which were really huge successes and prolly all of them had mass market appeal unlike 20 years ago's cRPG formula.

Deadfire is shaping up to be all around a better game with better production values & with new features that were very well received in other games and expected from a western RPG in today's market. I'll call it failure if it does the same as PoE1.

It'll be GotY 2018 :positive:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom