Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Sothpaw

Learned
Thanks for the tip. Indeed I purchased both xpacs.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I had a long session tonight after just wanting to play while while Resident Evil 7 finished downloading and I spent almost 5 hours and forgot out RE7...I have to say I am really enjoying the game.
The changes and outright upgrades from the release version are night and day for me. The two biggest changes for me would be combat AI and finally getting to understand (and appreciate) the differences between this and the IE combat.
First off the combat AI with correct settings for each char can pretty much leave most combat on autopilot for fighters and support chars while I haddle myself the magic casters and Durance, this makes combat very fast paced and enjoyable since micromanaging everything was kind of a pain but now everything goes very smoothly and while encounter design are still a bit meh at least now they flow better without having to pause every 2 seconds.
And speaking of combat I was very bummed over the lack of combat prebuffs & spell counters but finally something just clicked and I sort of accepted the fact and started playing more with the actual mindset the game was designed for, like starting off combat with a knockdown or debilitating ability for the Grieving Mother, or using oil slick straightforward with my caster for managing crowd control rather than outright damage spells going left and right and I an enjoying it a lot.
Even tried slow mode for combat and while the idea is good, it might be a bit too slow for my tastes and actually having a speed slider for that would have been just perfect for me since normal combat speed is a bit too fast
All in all I am happy I backed the new game and I am enjoying this one too... even bought a couple of copies on discount from GOG to give away to some friends

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Was only supposed to play for a couple of hours tonight before watching a movie and again got hooked for 6 hours, got to do the "Defend your homebase" quest and it was short but sweet.
Based in the spellbooks from the warmages and the fact I still didnt have enough rep with the factions to get backups from them I guess I did it at too low a level but that last battle was fucking epic spaming healing spells on my friendly ogre (my hero) and having the Mother going around whacking archers while everybody else held on... had replay it a few times but it was great

I also did the Blood Legacy quest and gotta say that turned out pretty damn good too, while the "twist" was a bit too predictable it was probably my favorite quest from Pillars so far

My mage and Aloth are becoming nearly unstoppable and stuff like the black hole spell along with some higher level AoE spells are making the mage combat so much fun now, plus having a lot of spells per level allows me to be less stingy and actually experiment with strategies

I have one doubt about stacking effects, for example I picked an fire godlike who has a bonus to his fire damage and resistance, plus I got the fire talent too... now if I use a weapon that causes fire damage do those bonuses get applied to the damage the weapon does or does it only apply to stuff like spells?

Before this current playthrough I would have rated Pillars as a 6 or 7 game but I'll be damned if it doesnt get an 8 or maybe a 9 in the end... plus from what I hear the White March is pretty fucking epic, having a damn great time

Sherry

Arcane
I had a long session tonight after just wanting to play while while Resident Evil 7 finished downloading and I spent almost 5 hours and forgot out RE7...I have to say I am really enjoying the game.
The changes and outright upgrades from the release version are night and day for me. The two biggest changes for me would be combat AI and finally getting to understand (and appreciate) the differences between this and the IE combat.
First off the combat AI with correct settings for each char can pretty much leave most combat on autopilot for fighters and support chars while I haddle myself the magic casters and Durance, this makes combat very fast paced and enjoyable since micromanaging everything was kind of a pain but now everything goes very smoothly and while encounter design are still a bit meh at least now they flow better without having to pause every 2 seconds.
And speaking of combat I was very bummed over the lack of combat prebuffs & spell counters but finally something just clicked and I sort of accepted the fact and started playing more with the actual mindset the game was designed for, like starting off combat with a knockdown or debilitating ability for the Grieving Mother, or using oil slick straightforward with my caster for managing crowd control rather than outright damage spells going left and right and I an enjoying it a lot.
Even tried slow mode for combat and while the idea is good, it might be a bit too slow for my tastes and actually having a speed slider for that would have been just perfect for me since normal combat speed is a bit too fast
All in all I am happy I backed the new game and I am enjoying this one too... even bought a couple of copies on discount from GOG to give away to some friends

Hi.

This is truly a wonderful game from all the little hidden gems you will come across to mastering combat with your favorite opening sequences depending on the enemy and how many there are but you will find White March to challenge this so be ready. When I first arrived in Stalwart the combat rattled my strategies and I had to be very careful and modify them because White March introduces a nice style with challenge. It showcases the level of experience Obsidian gained from making Pillars. Deadfire following this makeup will blow Pillars out of the water! Looking forward to reading how things go for your party. I just got lost in White March and its story and area design. You are in for a treat!

Maybe you know this already but you can prebuff with food and raise attributes or will, resolve, etc. It does help for more difficult battles because the duration of the food last longer than what a potion would or spell in most cases. I never used food and stopped picking up the eggs or wheat which is needed to make other food for the longer buff durations so when I realized how helpful it is for some big tough combat I had to go shopping to restock!

I never used the AI in combat as I liked to control and watch every tiny detail during battle for every single party member and used the auto-pause settings to control the pace of combat because it can get really crazy with all the spell effects and chaos up close.

Dyrford was a nice place to sit back and relax just to explore and there are some fun quests that send you out further to explore. Blood Legacy was great and that was a tough battle too for me and it looks from my screenshot that two party members were down and the rest were so red if there was something else to kill I would not have done it first try.

now if I use a weapon that causes fire damage do those bonuses get applied to the damage the weapon does or does it only apply to stuff like spells?

Does it not show on your character sheet before and after holding the weapon? I think it will stack because it is a natural ability of your character then the weapon damage is added to it. It would not stack if you had two items with the same bonus. One negates the other. So +3 might helmet and a +2 might ring will only give you the bonus of +3 might and not +5 might.

It is nice to meet you. I cannot brofist you yet because I am still new here but maybe someone can brofist you for me. :hug:

Thanks,
Randal

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is probably old news. Anyways...

Been replaying the game. The patches, and the DLC sure have fixed some stuff, but I have to say that it is really disappointing coming back to Stalwart in White March Part 2 and seeing the same characters there repeating the same lines. Like that female mercenary in the inn. She still hasn't left, still waiting for the weather to clear up. Okay then. Funny thing also since my last visit the town have gotten a large influx of people, caravans with merchandise going and leaving but she is still hanging around there waiting for the weather to change. I know it doesn't matter much in the long run but I can't help to roll my eyes at the laziness.

Another thing I found funny is that there is an envoy from Defiance Bay there that want to sign a trade deal with the village... Did she miss that her city was burned down to the ground? :)

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I sure miss running around the city hearing "alms, almos for the poor" or any sort of ambiance from the citizens

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Just played through a game and have a something that's been nagging me: what are maegfolc?

They are referenced in 2 items and the description of they eyeless and apparently built shit all around the place, particularly in the living lands.

"Feared throughout the Eastern Reach but rarely seen, the gargantuan Maegfolc are renowned for their awesome strength and destructive fury"

Are they some sort of giants? Did they exist before the engwithans?

Efe

Erudite
must be changed in one of those patches or added with expansions but i guess a lot of things didnt work when i played
aside from bittercup build which looks neat, is %5 more weapon dmg from lash worth a talent?

Suicidal

Arcane
Just played through a game and have a something that's been nagging me: what are maegfolc?

They are referenced in 2 items and the description of they eyeless and apparently built shit all around the place, particularly in the living lands.

"Feared throughout the Eastern Reach but rarely seen, the gargantuan Maegfolc are renowned for their awesome strength and destructive fury"

I think this word is used to refer to large humanoids, like ogres n shit.

hilfazer

Scholar
must be changed in one of those patches or added with expansions but i guess a lot of things didnt work when i played
aside from bittercup build which looks neat, is %5 more weapon dmg from lash worth a talent?

For just one lash - probably not. Maybe for some passive autoattacker builds.

Keep in mind lash is calculated from this:
(weapon damage + weapon enhancement + might bonus + passives + food/buffs/modals + equipment + crits/grazes)
there can be something i'm missing.
That can be a lot of damage. For example 40 dmg will generate 10 dmg lash, lashes go against 25% DR so it's easy to exceed. Elemental talent will add 2 damage per hit.

Parabalus

Arcane
For just one lash - probably not. Maybe for some passive autoattacker builds.

Keep in mind lash is calculated from this:
(weapon damage + weapon enhancement + might bonus + passives + food/buffs/modals + equipment + crits/grazes)
there can be something i'm missing.
That can be a lot of damage. For example 40 dmg will generate 10 dmg lash, lashes go against 25% DR so it's easy to exceed. Elemental talent will add 2 damage per hit.

If you have a chanter, Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr gives everyone an extra fire lash, so with one on the base weapon it's quite significant, the lashes often do more damage than the base. Oh, and the chant's also bugged in 3.05 and applies the lash to spells, so...

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
How viable are pike and shot parties?
I'm planning to make an all custom party with

-1 char as a captain with pistol and 1handed sword and buckler
-2 pikemen with pikes
-1 forlon hope char with 2 handed sword
-2 harquebusiers with harquebus and 1 handed swords as back ups.

Is it possible to use the pikemen to tank?

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
How viable are pike and shot parties?
I'm planning to make an all custom party with

-1 char as a captain with pistol and 1handed sword and buckler
-2 pikemen with pikes
-1 forlon hope char with 2 handed sword
-2 harquebusiers with harquebus and 1 handed swords as back ups.

Is it possible to use the pikemen to tank?

Possible and quite viable in fact.

First row - Shield and sword char. Second row: two off-tank pikemen , one preferably Rogue/Barb with Tall Pike Grass. Third row, ranged damage and casters.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

I think this word is used to refer to large humanoids, like ogres n shit.

While that certainly is possible ogres are not referred to as Maegfolc in the bestiary while for example eyeless are. Eyeless are a type of maegfolc and therefore not the only type. The only 3 references to maegfolc i can find are in two item descriptions: Maegfolc belt and Maegfolc skull as well as the eyeless beastiary entry.

I qouted the description for the belt and here is the one for the skull:
"Maegfolc - or their remains - have been found on most of the known continents of Eora. In the living lands, they are rumored to have built great cities and towers that reach beyond the clouds. This helm was recovered by an explorer who claimed to have plucked it from the burial chamber of a great maegfolc prince."

This does not rime well with the descriptions of ogres. They do not congregate in great numbers and certainly do not build great cities or have princes. Further, if Maegfolc are ogres and the like why isnt the helmet named ogre skull or something? As far as im aware we are not familiar with any other giantoids than ogres.

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter

First row - Shield and sword char. Second row: two off-tank pikemen , one preferably Rogue/Barb with Tall Pike Grass. Third row, ranged damage and casters.

For classes captain will be a paladin,forlon hope prob a barb,the harquebusiers prob both rangers or ranger and thief and the pikemen either both fighters or fighter/priest.
Do I need a priest on POTD?
Also has anyone tried the IE mod?

2house2fly

Magister
The maegfolc skull doesn't look very good but I insist on having someone wear it anyway because it's fucking cool to have a giant's skull as an item.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

For classes captain will be a paladin,forlon hope prob a barb,the harquebusiers prob both rangers or ranger and thief and the pikemen either both fighters or fighter/priest.
Do I need a priest on POTD?
Also has anyone tried the IE mod?

Don't need a Priest, I've beaten PoTD with Pala as main healer.

Prime Junta

Probably better to play with out a priest, they kind of break the game.

Yeah they kind of do. Immunity to almost all of the nasty attacks. Playing without one forces you to get a lot more creative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom