Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is what you get when a bunch of people complain about how they can tank and spank everything. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey Sensuki, it might be worth mentioning to people that your partner on writing that paper is a fan of how the game turned out and is no doubt horrified by your turn to the Dark Side(tm)

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Jdlorgbadge_s2.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is what you get when a bunch of people complain about how they can tank and spank everything. :M
Still better than leaving it as it was. Now we add the IE mod and turn off engagement and the game will be playable. At least the squishy tank can than retreat and heal when needed.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wonder who the Pt. 2 barbarian character will be?

The class video on the wiki uses an aumaua, but I have my fingers crossed for a Pale Elf from the land of the ice and the snow.

Athelas

Arcane
So Zahua can't wear a shirt and that construct companion can't equip any armor.

Torment-style companions confirmed. :troll:

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Balance Master defends his decisions against one of the groggier badgamers. Regarding the "ruination":

JES said:
if my dm did this to me irl i would slay him and display his dice as a grisly trophy
and if you failed to slay him you would reload and do the exact same thing again until it worked

i don't really see any upside to designing things as though players won't savescum when it's incredibly common and always has been in RPGs.

i don't know any DMs who let their D&D players save their game.

JES said:
well the players can retreat if they feel they're pushing it past the limit

oh right, you can't escape combat in pillars by leaving the map lol
the consequences of total party death in a CRPG are less severe than in tabletop because the player can reload. allowing parties to transition while in combat is more complex than simply making the game let it happen.

JES said:
not allowing the players to run from battle is nonsensical.
it's an engineering issue, not a question of "do we want to allow players to transition areas while in combat?" we did originally allow the player to transition during combat and it caused the game state to get screwed up in weird ways.
also pillars has an ironman option
you opt into the ironman option and it's pretty forgiving as far as such modes go, in part because we don't have save or die effects.

Unityyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :argh:

JES said:
if your argument is that you can just keep retrying a fight until you get it then okay, so what? plenty of games let you do that and are still cool and fun to play. you even have an actual built-in option to prevent savescumming for people who want it, too
retrying a fight when you're attempting to use different strategies and tactics means that you're still playing with elements of the game. if the game has given the player an option that is guaranteed to work a decent amount of the time (e.g. disintegrate), the player is likely going to start falling back on it. save or die effects can reduce things like boss fights to single rolls (or effectively, if you still have to deal with their buddies).

it's one of the reasons why i think criticisms of the adra dragon fight are valid. its breath attack does so much damage with such a wide range that it often feels like luck, rather than good/bad choices from the player, that determines the outcome.

i don't think it's that weird to have a scaling level cap on destruction effects. classic turn undead is built around a sliding scale. you can't annihilate high HD creatures at low levels, but there's an okay chance of blasting mid-power critters. eventually you can start turning and destroying crazier undead as you level up.

Josh really slamdunked with the turn undead comparison imo

Of course insta-killing lower level enemies would make fighting them even more trivial but at least it makes them go by quicker I guess.

tdphys

Learned
Hmm, missed this. It looks like fighter-tanks get nerfed hard in Patch 2.0 beta: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/81009-defender-20-beta-nerf/

tdphys
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the expansion, but I never super-tanked anyways... so .. :)

I am looking forward to having perception being accuracy based again, now maybe my 3rd-playthrough wood-elf chanter/archer companion will be good for something. (I was testing to see if interrupt was a viable strat... nope )

Shevek

Arcane
What's the "ruination"?

ripa.png

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the expansion, but I never super-tanked anyways... so .. :)

I am looking forward to having perception being accuracy based again, now maybe my 3rd-playthrough wood-elf chanter/archer companion will be good for something. (I was testing to see if interrupt was a viable strat... nope )

I found my perception based lightly armored fighter to be quite fantastic. Low str, high dex, per and res. It might be a bit squishier now but it will hit harder. With the mini sneak attack, should be very effective.

Last edited:

tdphys

Learned
Path of the Damned is legitimately challenging if you don't tank and spank.

edit- and as long as you don't let yourself get over-leveled

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i can't wait for the echo chamber that will be this expansion's thread once it gets released and only the rabid fanbois play it because no one sane would touch this game again

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
but did you ever notice *interrupts* happening? Were they at all useful as a tactic?

They're pretty good with the unique Mosquito rapier (as it has the interrupt time of a heavy weapon but the attack speed of a light one) that you can wield either alone or try to dual it with the Shatterstar hammer or the Spear of the Vile Loner (they have medium attack spead and morningstar interrupt time). They're also really strong with the Firewall (or any kind of this wall spells - wall of force or the druid's wall of thorns will do to) - cast this spell under the enemy spellcaster and he's never casting anything (as long as it lasts).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've found that random Interrupts sometimes come in to free one of my characters from an unwanted Engagement. I haven't done so, but building a character who can apply them on demand seems like it could be useful.

i can't wait for the echo chamber that will be this expansion's thread once it gets released and only the rabid fanbois play it because no one sane would touch this game again

If only.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom