Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Pillars of Eternity reviewed at RPGWatch

Angthoron

Arcane
Brofist for actually trying this time, but the first list is just for the RPG subgenre, for it to be a "purebred RPG" it'd have to test positive on all the should haves.
'K.

Though I thought the first list was saying "Must-haves", and the other part is "should-haves". That's a touch misleading, since should is not imperative, if that makes sense.

FC4

ii. Should Have

Each core category and the auxiliary category Combat also have related Should Have conditions; the reviewer should make a comment if a sub list item is not fulfilled. Should one or more (SH) not be fulfilled the game is most likely a special CRPG (see Tags) or a CRPG light.

If all (SH) are fulfilled too there's no further discussion necessary — the game is a true CRPG.

1. Character Development
Describes ways to create, change or enhance your characters in order to increase their effectiveness in the game.
  • SC1: You can create your characters. No. Character creation is weaker than Torment here.
  • SC2: Pre-planning is required for character development Yes - though you can get through with persistence (just like you can in, say, Fallout 2 by abusing the system or savescumming)
  • SC3: Tactical use of abilities is required (➙ primary means of problem solving, gameworld interaction and overcoming challenges. The player's physical coordination skills are secondary.) Yes
2. Exploration
Includes how you can move through the game world, as well as everything you can find, see, manipulate or interact with, like locations, items and other objects.
  • SE1: You can find NPCs (➙ non-player characters who you can interact with.) Yes
  • SE2: You can choose a path (➙ there is at least some branching.) Yes - You have multiple endings.
  • SE3: You can interact with the game world (➙ e.g. you can pull levers, push buttons, open chests, hack computers, … appropriate to the game's setting) Yes
  • SE4: The gameworld can affect your characters' conditions or circumstances such that you have to learn and adapt to overcome these challenges (➙ e.g. weather, traps, closed doors, poisoned areas, …) Yes.
  • SE5: Inaccessible areas can be reached due to character enhancements or by solving quests or puzzles (➙ e.g. unlock locked areas, overcome obstacles, repair bridges, dispel barriers, …) Yes.
3. Story
Concerns all narrative elements like setting, lore, plot, characters, dialogue, quests, descriptions, storyline(s) and similar, including how you can interact with them.
  • SS1: You can interact with information sources (➙ e.g. NPC conversations, riddle statue questions, …) Yes
  • SS2: You can make choices in those interactions. Yes.
  • SS3: Some of those choices have consequences. Yes.
  • SS4: Thinking is required in order to progress (➙ e.g. irreversible choices, moral dilemma, riddles, …) Yes? Maybe? Define thinking.
  • SS5: The story is influenced by your decisions and your characters' actions and stats or abilities. Yes, though not the stat/ability part, this is decoupled from your dialogue, a-la BG series.
4. Combat (Meta)
Describes how combat (or more general: conflict resolving) corresponds to elements of Character Development, Exploration and Story.
  • SF1: Combat is influenced by character stats or abilities (➙ e.g. amount of damage, chance to hit, weapon access, …) Yes
  • SF2: Combat involves random elements (➙ e.g. game internal dice rolls.) Yes, RNG is involved in determining damage dealt.
  • SF3: Combat provides some challenge (➙ e.g. requires preparation, use of tactics or environment.) Yes

... and you cannot finish Oblivion without stat checks, my friend even if you don't level.
Please remind me what stat checks those are - I honestly don't recall such.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wrong
  • SC3: Tactical use of abilities is required (➙ primary means of problem solving, gameworld interaction and overcoming challenges. The player's physical coordination skills are secondary.) NO
No Shooter fulfills SC3, because the twitch skills of the player are always more important than everything else.

Other than that you just proofed why Far Cry games are so popular among CRPG fans.

(BTW: I was a top 15 world ranking player in Far Cry 2 in Team Deathmatch)

Angthoron

Arcane
Wrong
  • SC3: Tactical use of abilities is required (➙ primary means of problem solving, gameworld interaction and overcoming challenges. The player's physical coordination skills are secondary.) NO
No Shooter fulfills SC3, because the twitch skills of the player are always more important than everything else.

Other than that you just proofed why Far Cry games are so popular among CRPG fans.

(BTW: I was a top 15 world ranking player in Far Cry 2 in Team Deathmatch)
Ah, good point, in my CBAsness I missed the "player skill" part. Still, it's technically possible to savescum and spam abilities and mercs to get through a lot of situations, so it's a bit borderline. But yeah.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
At the end of the day you have to criticize a game for what it is and not for what it is not.
I was questioning the design goals of PoE during development a lot, because I wanted a better evolved BG2 with challenging turn based combat, hard counters, dump stats, character that could fail etc.

Josh did it his way and out comes PoE. Not my dream game and with some flaws, but not bad either. Better than I expected. I played it for 98 hours 'til the end and had a good time with it. Good ol' Corwin says the same with more words.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
This thread is surely a suitable tribute to that Watch review :salute:

Was anything said to Corwin's review besides questioning the 'fabulous quests'? - It seem to me most of you simply agree.

* Nothing is mentioned about the shallowness of the quest structure (no cross-quest influence except in one case, where it makes fuck-all sense in the way it's implemented: factions in Defiance Bay; near-zero quest chaining, near-zero cascading or long-term splitting)
* Forgets to mention the actually low impact the character creation has on the game: being from the Empire makes a tiny cosmetic impact at best. Playing a Druid has ONE class-specific dialogue option.
* Emptiness of Defiance Bay: It does not remind me of BG games. Either of them. In fact DB was the place I finally noticed that HEY I'm not playing a BG-like game after all. Lack of backdrop NPCs; all you have are backer NPC, a tiny handful of random NPCs with no lines, and everything else is essential NPCs for quests. See an NPC you can talk to? He's for a quest! Except in the brothel. Those are for different kind of grind.
* Good job on mentioning loading times and going over the character system
* Good mention of unavoidable trash and questionable resting mechanics
* Combat clusterfuck: addressed. Great.
* Aesthetics: yes, very pretty game
* How is the Stronghold well implemented? What is well implemented about it? WoW's stronghold is better implemented. BG2's strongholds had more things going on for them. I sank in tens of thousands into the stronghold and all I got was nothing. Sure, you can build shit, but what is the actual point? What quests and events? I saw no quests - is this something I missed? I built everything, I talked to everyone, even the jail was useless. Plus, if I'm a castle lord, why can't I send some people in clear need of protection to my keep? And why can't it have repercussions? Very, very bare-bones implementation, here.
* My opinion on Acts and overall writing is that it is shallow and disappointing, though not lacking in presentation quality. Texts themselves are properly edited and stylistically appropriate. It's just, well, they aren't very deep or memorable - something relatively unusual for Obsidian games, and thus an overall let-down. For writing that impressed me loads more, I cite SitS beta.
* "My opinion may sound too harsh, 4/5"? Heh.
* What is "Some good ideas poorly implemented"?

Happy, HiddenX?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Much better :)

I'm not Corwin, so you have to live with my comments:

* Nothing is mentioned about the shallowness of the quest structure (no cross-quest influence except in one case, where it makes fuck-all sense in the way it's implemented: factions in Defiance Bay; near-zero quest chaining, near-zero cascading or long-term splitting)
* Forgets to mention the actually low impact the character creation has on the game: being from the Empire makes a tiny cosmetic impact at best. Playing a Druid has ONE class-specific dialogue option.

I agree

* Emptiness of Defiance Bay: It does not remind me of BG games. Either of them. In fact DB was the place I finally noticed that HEY I'm not playing a BG-like game after all. Lack of backdrop NPCs; all you have are backer NPC, a tiny handful of random NPCs with no lines, and everything else is essential NPCs for quests. See an NPC you can talk to? He's for a quest! Except in the brothel. Those are for different kind of grind.

I agree that it is not Baldur's Gate, but to call it empty is too harsh IMHO. I remember a few good quests. But quests could have been more network like and depending on factions. I love quests that rule others out -> for replayability.

* Good job on mentioning loading times and going over the character system
* Good mention of unavoidable trash and questionable resting mechanics
* Combat clusterfuck: addressed. Great.
* Aesthetics: yes, very pretty game

I agree

* How is the Stronghold well implemented? What is well implemented about it? WoW's stronghold is better implemented. BG2's strongholds had more things going on for them. I sank in tens of thousands into the stronghold and all I got was nothing. Sure, you can build shit, but what is the actual point? What quests and events? I saw no quests - is this something I missed? I built everything, I talked to everyone, even the jail was useless. Plus, if I'm a castle lord, why can't I send some people in clear need of protection to my keep? And why can't it have repercussions? Very, very bare-bones implementation, here.

I have seen better strongholds - I have seen worse. My main complaint is that it is not really connected to the main story. It feels like a game in a game.

* My opinion on Acts and overall writing is that it is shallow and disappointing, though not lacking in presentation quality. Texts themselves are properly edited and stylistically appropriate. It's just, well, they aren't very deep or memorable - something relatively unusual for Obsidian games, and thus an overall let-down. For writing that impressed me loads more, I cite SitS beta.

The story is not bad IMO, but sometimes they try to tell me the same thing for the 10th time. I like most of the companions background stories better than the main story.

* "My opinion may sound too harsh, 4/5"? Heh.

Corwin said it: the game is better than the sum of its parts.

* What is "Some good ideas poorly implemented"?

RTwP combat, pathfinding in combat, engagement system, challenge is missing after chapter 1
so called "balanced" classes ->the stat system is NOT intuitive
no XP for combat -> nevertheless reaching the level cap too early and no role-play options to avoid combat

Last edited:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Was anything said to Corwin's review besides questioning the 'fabulous quests'? - It seem to me most of you simply agree.

I didn't think anything needed to be said, really. The review is amateurish at best, both in content and style alike. As much as Darth Roxxor has been criticized for "Wanting to hate the game before it was even released", Corwin's blatantly falls in the exact opposite camp, namely "wanting to praise the game no matter what". And to do that, he clearly overlooks, or gives a pass, to the many (and major) shortcomings of the game. He does mention a few flaws, but deliberately moves quickly on to some more gratuitous praise. You can tell he's not entirely happy with the game, but you can also tell that he's either too shy or too bent on getting his nose brown'd.

Either that, or he's played an entirely different game. He keeps mentioning this is BG3, which is risible. He keeps mentioning how this is a true IE-era heir, which is also risible. He fails to make his claims credible, and he fails to make the reader believe he's actually played any IE-era game in depth. The feeling is that he's just pretending to be an oldschooler in order to 1.ape actual old-timers and 2.seem more of a reliable authority on RPGs to his audience (which has to be made of 15yo's).

But hey, here's some thoughts...

So many choices, so many possibilities, so little direction.

Because redding tooltips and stats descriptions is teh hard?

As part of the game design, there are no truly ‘dump’ stats for any given class; all are helpful to some degree

No. No dump stats. Not at all. Err...

Because all the classes operate differently from what most people may expect

Yeah, the Barbarian totally caught me offguard by dealing melee damage while using shouts and a "berserk" mode, and I spent 23 minutes looking for my jaw when I found out that the Druid shapeshifted into some feral beast. I had a minor stroke when I realized that the Wizard casts spells. Oh, and the Paladin doesn't have smite or lay of hands. Nossireeeee.

While people argue over what are the key elements for any RPG, most would agree that interesting characters, a good story and a variety of engaging quests would be near the top of the list. All are to be found here.

1.Interesting characters: maybe 3, 4 in the whole game.
2.A good story: hm? where? Is it behind the three-headed monkey?
3.Engaging quests: r00fles. Even Corwin admits not doing any side quests any more after hitting level 12, so he is clearly bullshitting about the quality quests and writing.

Between quests there is a ton of exploration (it’s a HUGE game world) and many interesting things to discover and often appropriate.

There's what, 50 locations in the game, dungeons/interiors excluded? Exploring half of them is not really useful, nor encouraged. The wilderness areas especially suffer from a complete lack of interesting things to do, other than killing a few more wolves in some corner. Most of them also suffer from a severe lack of population and interactivity, and feel like a mere exercise in "drawing pretty scenes". Caves, ruins and interiors are quite often an homage to Dragon Age 2, that is, copypasted.

Scouting is very helpful here and some hidden items are only revealed when your party is in ‘sneak’ or scouting mode. Make sure everyone has at least a couple of points in the ‘Stealth’ skill.

Again, I'm not really sure what the guy's been playing. One character with sneak is the party is more than enough, for spotting traps (rare) and hidden objects (roughly 1-2 per location). Sneak is sort of completely useless otherwise, unless one is going for a solo run.

as it is divided into several parts which you regularly have to travel between

The amount of gratuitous backtracking in Defiance Bay is preposterous, not to mention the area subdivisions. I wanted to die every time I had to go talk to Lady Webb or to that whore upstairs in the docks' tavern... Luckily, even Corwin admits to that (see below)...

One small complaint is that the loading screens for all this travel tend to get longer and longer, even when just entering a building. I miss the seamless travel found in many similar games such as ‘Divinty: Original Sin’. At least they gave me an opportunity to go and get myself a drink, or take a Bio break. I guess it’s part of the nostalgia we all feel for those original IE games. Sadly, sometimes nostalgia is over-rated.

... or not. It's like he's trying to, but he's so stuck upon wanting to love the game that he cannot admit the could have optimised the backtracking/area-loading a bit. Of course, he kinda fumbles when declaring "many similar games" and then only mentioning D:OS. Either or, man.

most of your possible companions have a story/quest of their own which you can choose to follow or ignore. Some of these are fairly straightforward, but others are more complex, bringing comparisons with some of the complicated conversation quests in that other IE game, Plancscape: Torment.

Which, exactly, are more complex? Sagani's "visit three locations" one? Or Durance's and GM's "just click the chat icon when it appears on their portrait"? And I don't think I even need to comment on the comparison with the dialogues from, and I quote, "Plancscape" (oh yes, I'm picking on a typo. People should -manually- spellcheck twice before miss-typing the Kodex' #1 fap material RPG of choice).

The main story weaves through several acts, though not all these divisions are obvious, especially the one between Acts 1 and 2. I didn’t even notice it.

So much for the writing being great, I guess.

but Act 3 is nowhere near as good as the previous acts; it’s almost as if the developers ran out of steam, time, or both. Most of the quests are fetch or kill quests and don’t compare to the complexities of the earlier ones. In fact, if it wasn’t for the need to reach the level cap of 12 before the endgame, it’s actually quite clear how to proceed, whereas earlier in the game there was no such clarity.

Again, what complexity? I don't really remember earlier quests being different from fetch and/or kill. If anything, the quests in TE bring some variety to the lot, quite a few of them allowing "completion through dialogue" and a more diplomatic approach.

Once you reach level 12, there is no real point in doing more side quests unless you’re a completionist.

Or unless they're actually well-written and compelling and enjoyable and enriching the game's world, none of which they are, sadly (as mentioned).

Some of my comments on this game may seem overly harsh,

Aside from the fact that he gave the game 4/5 stars, you call this harsh? I bet he's one of those kids forced to play score-free football games .

however, the bottom line is that I really liked and enjoyed this game. It accomplished what it set out to do, was relatively bug free,

Did he even check the Obsidian boards after release? There were more bug reports there than there are bugs in Calicut.

and hopefully showed the ‘Big Time Developers/Publishers’ that there is still a market for these Old School games.

Ehm, Obsidian IS a 'Big Time Developer'. And this game is as oldschool as a 2014 Mini Cooper can be.

Overall, he completely avoids to mention how the core system is a bland and uninspired D&D ripoff, how only athletics and mechanics are useful as talents, how the combat gets really boring and uninteresting fast, how the story is really vague and doesn't play out too well, along with about half a godzillion other meh things (shortcomings) that even casuals like me noticed.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
I agree that it is not Baldur's Gate, but to call it empty is too harsh IMHO. I remember a few good quests.
I don't mean quest-wise, more, and I hate the word, "immersion"-wise. It doesn't really feel like a living town - more of a hub for quests. Seriously, every NPC you can talk to is going to be a quest giver, a vendor or a backer NPC. That's what I mean by "empty". I am kinda OK with this being a thing in, say, Shadowrun Returns games due to the hub/fairly symbolic nature of the game, but here you have exploration and it doesn't quite work because exploration needs to be adequately rewarded with knowledge, conversation, experience or gear. I don't get those things exploring the town.

But quests could have been more network like and depending on factions. I love quests that rule others out -> for replayability.
Yep. And sadly the one major place it's implemented is completely senseless. I'd have loved to play the factions against each others until FINALLY having to select one. Alas.

I have seen better strongholds - I have seen worse. My main complaint is that it is not really connected to the main story. It feels like a game in a game.
Yep, it's a minigame. I understand that it was promised as an extra but as such it's a highly useless extra. Maybe they should've saved it for expansion. I hope in expansion it gains meaning.

The story is not bad IMO, but sometimes they try to tell me the same thing for the 10th time. I like most of the companions background stories better than the main story.
It's not bad, it's just trite, unmemorable and unfocused. The dual storyline thing is pretty much the same problem that D: OS had - the "chosen" plotline is pointless, past lives are unnecessary, even more so than in D: OS because in that you at least get gameplay stuff out of it. Waidwen's Legacy on its own would've done a great job carrying the game. Past lives, gods, the lot - nope. Also, Act 2. I have a feeling it was rewritten (see the actual Act 2 thread for details if you care)

Corwin said it: the game is better than the sum of its parts.
Possibly. Didn't work for me, but that doesn't mean it won't for others.

RTwP combat, pathfinding in combat, engagement system, challenge is missing after chapter 1
so called "balanced" classes ->the stat system is NOT intuitive
no XP for combat -> nevertheless reaching the level cap too early and no role-play options to avoid combat
This should've been mentioned more concretely in the summary part.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Average Age Group on The Watch?

Hint: Corwin belongs to the 70+ Group.

tumblr_mcrqpnE8HO1qewacoo1_r2_500.jpg

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
But I know Corwin since the early RPGDot (which was Blinkingdot before) days in 2000. He could write and read so he is at least 7+15=22 years old. In fact he has already retired and lives in Australia. And yes - he knows Cleveland Mark Blakemore and was one of the original betatesters of Grimoire.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron

You asked for more in-depth criticism to his review. I gave you a few examples of issues for which his review can't even be taken seriously. And all you got to say is "Corwin is 70, and I love him so much?".

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
No - you just attack people you don't even know
The feeling is that he's just pretending to be an oldschooler in order to 1.ape actual old-timers and 2.seem more of a reliable authority on RPGs to his audience (which has to be made of 15yo's).
Corwin has played and reviewed a lot of games in the past for RPGDot and RPGWatch, his opinions and evaluations are reliable and match the opinions of most Watchers. If you don't agree, not my problem.
The main difference between Watchers and Codexians is that we try to stay positive and see a glass half full and you guys see a glass half empty. In both cases the glass is filled to 50%.

valcik

Arcane
The main difference between Watchers and Codexians is that we try to stay positive and see a glass half full and you guys see a glass half empty. In both cases the glass is filled to 50%.
When we agree that glass is filled to 50%, there's still important question to be answered - is it filled with urine, or archive vine?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Even if the glass is filled with refreshing cold beer you mix it up with a lot of hot air...

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
I guess "being positive" means "blindly ignoring blatant shortcomings of a game and or giving negative issues a pass just because we want to like it", these days.

So, valcik , be careful whose glass you drink from.

:updatedmytxt:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom