Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Pillars of Eternity Retrospective Panel at PAX Prime 2015

aratuk

Cipher
If Obsidian drops Linux support in further games, I will drop day-one or crowdfunding support. I know that I represent nothing, but I'll do my 'job'.
I don't know if this statement is related to Larian dropping Linux promising for D:OS 2.

Maybe we will assist to another trend regarding Kickstarter.

Asking money for games which 'couldn't be released with the current video game biz'
In the beginning, every video game crowdfunding campaigns promised DRM free copies.
Then almost everyone dropped, to Steam keys exclusively, a platform where anyone can release anything.
And now devs would drop Linux support?

Not that I am interested in backing crowdfunding games for a while anyway.

"I won't support it!" […] "Not that I would have been interested in supporting it anyway!"

Why act so burned about it? It's just that the numbers aren't there, and cross-platform support is expensive. Are you really surprised that a company is unwilling to lose money for the sake of supporting Linux?

Do some platform evangelism. Maybe more people will switch to Linux now that (every version of) Windows is pretty much turning into spyware.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
"I won't support it!" […] "Not that I would have been interested in supporting it anyway!"

Why act so burned about it? It's just that the numbers aren't there, and cross-platform support is expensive. Are you really surprised that a company is unwilling to lose money for the sake of supporting Linux?

Do some platform evangelism. Maybe more people will switch to Linux now that (every version of) Windows is pretty much turning into spyware.
The one good thing about Unity is that it should simplify cross platform support. I don't know what Obsidian is doing with it that makes it so hard to make it work on Linux. Or it may be that they're just not willing to add a few more testers to test the game on non-Windows platforms.

tdphys

Learned
steam-os and android I think are ushering that in faster then an
The one good thing about Unity is that it should simplify cross platform support. I don't know what Obsidian is doing with it that makes it so hard to make it work on Linux. Or it may be that they're just not willing to add a few more testers to test the game on non-Windows platforms.

During production, they had to wait on some kind of obscure linux file bug that unity had to fix for them. I'd guess that and having a whole build system for 1.5% marketplace bothers them?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Not trying to be rude, but...

"Wizards being crappy and most spell effects being crappy and only being minor number changers."
You clearly stated that wizards are crappy. Not compared to IE wizards; just crappy. If you had written, "Wizards being crappy compared to IE wizards" then that would have been different. Just because you had compared PoE wizards to IE wizards previously does not mean you were comparing them in this sentence or post. I took this sentence for what is says, "Wizards being crappy AND most spell effects being crappy AND only being minor number changers". I can't read your mind and know that were comparing PoE wizards to IE wizards in this sentence or post as you did not indicate it. I'm not magic. Improve your communication skills if you want to be understood better.

BTW: I didn't miss when you mentioned the disproportional amount of spells that have stat modifying effects. It just wasn't relevant to my post or your statement that "Wizards are crappy".
You are took things out of context. I did explain why they are crappy in my posts.

Fairfax

Arcane
I hope they're going to fix hot keys disappearing whenever you right click on them as well. This stuff is bush league.
I think this is Paradox's decision making again. Fixing and updating their games over a large number of small patches is a big part of their strategy. According to their CEO, it's the most effective anti-piracy measure.

Namutree

Savant
You are took things out of context. I did explain why they are crappy in my posts.
You're amazing at missing the point.

Let's go through this slowly.

"Wizards are crappy" does NOT convey that you are comparing them to IE wizards in THAT post.

I'm aware that you had compared PoE wizards and IE wizards in a previous post.

You failed to establish that you were still comparing the two in the post in question.

Thus I took you out of context because you failed to provide context.

The communication error was your fault.

Deal with it.

If you want people to understand the context of your statements; you must provide it.

Here is your full post:

"Status effects giving immunies. Bat shit boring encounters making up 75% of the game, boring cities with not half the sounds and population that Bg1 and BG2 had. Wizards being crappy and most spell effects being crappy and only being minor number changers. Bad pathfinding, crappy railroading (as showed at end of act 2). Bad itemization, small outdoor maps filled only with crappy boring copy pasta combat encounters.
There are more."

Question: Where IN THIS POST do you provide the information that you are still comparing wizards in PoE to wizards in the IE games?

Answer: You don't.

I'm not psychic, and can't read your mind for context; you must provide it.

Have you ever considered that it's possible that someone can think wizards in PoE are both crappy compared to wizards in the IE games AND crappy in and of themselves? Because that is the impression you're posts made.

This is my final post on this matter. If you want the last word; go ahead.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think this is Paradox's decision making again. Fixing and updating their games over a large number of small patches is a big part of their strategy. According to their CEO, it's the most effective anti-piracy measure.
Larian did the same thing (and also annoyed people by leaving low-priority bugs unfixed for a while). This is just a consequence of PC-exclusive Steam-distributed patches, you can get them out faster.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You're amazing at missing the point.

Let's go through this slowly.

"Wizards are crappy" does NOT convey that you are comparing them to IE wizards in THAT post.

I'm aware that you had compared PoE wizards and IE wizards in a previous post.

You failed to establish that you were still comparing the two in the post in question.

Thus I took you out of context because you failed to provide context.

The communication error was your fault.

Deal with it.

If you want people to understand the context of your statements; you must provide it.

Here is your full post:

"Status effects giving immunies. Bat shit boring encounters making up 75% of the game, boring cities with not half the sounds and population that Bg1 and BG2 had. Wizards being crappy and most spell effects being crappy and only being minor number changers. Bad pathfinding, crappy railroading (as showed at end of act 2). Bad itemization, small outdoor maps filled only with crappy boring copy pasta combat encounters.
There are more."

Question: Where IN THIS POST do you provide the information that you are still comparing wizards in PoE to wizards in the IE games?

Answer: You don't.

Have you ever considered that it's possible that someone can think wizards in PoE are both crappy compared to wizards in the IE games AND crappy in and of themselves? Because that is the impression you're posts made.

This is my final post on this matter. If you want the last word; go ahead.
My post was based on PoE on Codex always being compared with IE games even when it is not stated so. Not my problem you are more new than me :P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
tdphys Whoops, turns out you can bet on it: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/81598-devs-thanks-for-the-linux-support/?p=1726009

BAdler said:
Hey, guys. I probably could have chosen my words better than I did. I wasn't trying to upset any of our Linux supporters and I didn't mean to belittle their support. I love all of our backers and I appreciate all of their help.

We basically had to build our Linux infrastructure from scratch on our side. It wasn't something we were used to. It was also painful for us to develop in Linux because the Unity tools didn't support Linux at the time. This meant that we were unable to debug on the platform.

Now that we have gone through the process of creating these builds it is something that will be much easier for us in the future. Pair that with SteamOS, Steam Controller, and Steam Machine and I think Linux's future is good with PoE games.

Ulrox

Arbiter

Codex has a ridiculous amount of culture specific things going on that require you to be psychic sometimes.

Delbaeth

Learned
In that case, I'm still on board and will continue to follow Obsidian Enternainment closely.
So now... since OE is asking Bethsoft to work with in a new Fallout game... Why not asking them to make Obsidian's Fallout in PoE engine?
;)

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
The PoE guys seemed very (I know who they are! I am just too lazy to name them) emotionaly balanced (No joke intended!).
The sound is very low.
The whole thing is very very informative.
They should have told us these things in the past updates!
I like the info about the rendering (crazy 40 hours for one scene)...just a little bit sceptical if they telling the truth about this:updatedmytxt:

Mortmal

Arcane
Dude , you are wasting time there. You others and me too have explained several times whats wrong with wizards and the other multiple flaws with the game. They want it to be BG2 spiritual successor so badly they will never see the truth , just let them bath in mediocrity and enjoy it like pigs in the mud.
Only reading the news to see if theres a major vision change to be expected for poe 2, unfortunatly no.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

332wlqa.jpg

Could't resist, sorry. Carry on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom