Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity/Project Eternity Beginning Kickstarter Comments

Hey everyone, I'm trudging through the beginning Kickstarter comments for Project Eternity/Pillars of Eternity and making a crude txt file of the dialogue between backers and Feargus Urquhart. I'll edit this post as I go but if you want to search for yourself, try this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...rnity/comments?cursor=1404308#comment-1404307 and use the top or bottom button to get more. You can change the comment number at the end of the link to start far earlier/later in the comment line. I haven't tried looking at the source html code to see if maybe all the comments are in there already but I doubt it as it seems to load data every time you press a button for more comments.

I search for "Obsidian Entertainment on Sept" to go to the next sage Feargus comment.

For Science,
Grape_You_in_the_Mouth

=======================================================

Sept 20th (Roughly)
Creator Obsidian Entertainment on September 20, 2012

I'm off to bed everyone. I will be on a bit more during the day tomorrow. Josh should have another good

update as well.

Wow, no jokes about the trunk of the car from Fallout 2, huh? I am getting old. So @Pofski, what I'm talking

about is that how we implemented the car you could get in Fallout 2 was that it was actually treated like a

companion. However, it's programming told it that it wasn't too follow you other than to park on the map

that you just loaded into. The actual part of it that as the companion was the trunk (boot). Unfortunately,

there were situations where it wouldn't get the message that it shouldn't follow you. So, you are happily

going down into a Vault and right behind you is your the trusty trunk (boot) of your car.

Someone is going to jump in with a joke about the trunk from the car aren't they?

I do have one rule here in the Obsidian Kickstarter Comment/Chat - "you" must be used instead of "u".

@QuiZZer That box won't be sold at retail, so we will just be putting in our cost.
Obsidian logo ks.small

Bjorn The best way to get a job at a developer is to call them up and ask if they are looking or could you

talk to someone about getting a job as a insert department (artist, designer, programmer, producer, QA,

audio, animation). There is a very good chance that someone will talk to you or at least they will e-mail

you.

Bjorn It depends. If we are looking for someone in a position that requires experience - then yes. But, we

hire a lot of people out of college and while they are in college. I am having lunch with someone on Friday

gong to college locally to see about having him come work for us.

Bjørn Flindt Temte on September 20, 2012

@OE: How does one go about getting a job with you guys? Is it the classical 5+ years of experience, must

have worked on a metacritic 85+ AAA game?

@Pofski You are very welcome. And, always feel you can ask us questions. Most people in the game industry

are actually very approachable.

Pofski -Phoenix of the Obsidian Order on September 20, 2012

@Obsidian
Seeing as this will probably be the one and only chance I will ever get to directly speak to somebody who

developed such wonderfull games, I would just like to say thank you.
They where wonderfull and will for years and years to come still give me fantastic memories.
I know you guys will not disappoint.
Again, thank you.

@Balzeron We talked about it a lot and he just didn't feel it fit.
Baneling1 128.small

Balzeron on September 20, 2012

@Andrea
They're also working out a digital release with gog.com (Good Old Gaming), and there might be more in the

future, but who knows.

@Feargus
How could Steve be against the vault boy? They're glorious and hilarious, I used to keep a vault boy bobble

head in my office in Iraq.

@fredgiblet So, Steve and I talked for a long time. I thought at one point we had come to a compromise, but

he felt different the next morning (which I can understand) and we had to agree to disagree. That meant

pulling GURPs and the rest, as they say, is history.

@fredgiblet So, Steve and I talked for a long time. I thought at one point we had come to a compromise, but

he felt different the next morning (which I can understand) and we had to agree to disagree. That meant

pulling GURPs and the rest, as they say, is history.

@fredgiblet It ended up being a couple of things. Steve did not like the violence of the opening movie where

one of the soldiers in power armor executes someone - he felt it was too reminiscent of a photo from

Vietnam. I didn't disagree with him, since that was what we were trying to do there. The second thing he

didn't like was the Pip Boy / Vault Boy / Monopoly Character. He felt it didn't fit GURPS. While we (Tim,

Brian and I) we could potentially compromise on the shooting, we just didn't understand about the Vault Boy.

@fredgiblet Well I was the guy doing the negotiation with Steve Jackson. So I might have some insight. :)

fredgiblet on September 20, 2012

@Feargus

There's a question

I keep seeing that Fallout ended up not using GURPS because it was "too violent" to be licensed then I've

seen things that say that's not the case. Does anyone have a clear, 100% answer to what happened to make

that fall through?

@Kelly Thanks for the suggestion, it's a good one.

Kelly Costanza, OOoE's Faceless Lord on September 20, 2012

@Feargus
I hope I'm not the only person here to remember Freedom Force. Well, with the second Freedom Force I kinda

sketchily remember it being closer of a sub-cultural non store release, kinda close to it being a Pre-

Kickstarter self-publishing deal. The special bonus you got for ordering from the guys directly so they

could produce more copies for mainstream was a signed bit of original concept art / character studies by the

original concept artist.

I was lucky enough to get a copy of the undead hero that was a cross between Ghost Rider and Rorschach from

Watchmen, and the concept art had old character sketches of variant (rejected) masks. I still have it framed

as one of my most precious possessions.

Since you have a game that will have a LOT of concept art for world building, race evolution, and character

design, perhaps you could offer a new tier including the gift of some authentic mid-process design art? It

would be possible to ship these in normal manilla envelopes with a cardboard backing, so it would save on

shipping costs, and be no where near as fragile or hard to get as a miniature. It also has a richer history

if a date and quick note on the sketch's purpose / nature was included, either on a contained card or a

corner of the sketch itself.

It would be like an art book, except one page each for a hundred people. Though a hard cover art book may

also be nice, but more expensive to produce and ship.

I'm sure you guys already have an idea of how many concept design sketches your art department produces over

the course of an IE game and it's design, so you could offer it as a limited offering tier.

Or that Fallout was almost called Aftermath?

Looking at Blackspace and M.O.R.E - might go board/card game again - I'm a sucker for those.

I've been trying to back a project a day as thanks for all the support we have been getting. Anybody have a

suggestion for today?

@Anaeme Chaining them to their desks helps a lot. I think that a lot of us have worked together for so long

because we love making Role-Playing Games and it's always been important to me to tell people the truth.

When your people trust you, they stay with you.

Anaeme on September 20, 2012

@ Feargus

As mentioned in your video, Obsidian has managed to accumulate top talent over the years. The big question

for me is how have you managed to keep them for so long without other companies trying to poach them?

The also are highly motivated it seems

Johnny Vraek on September 20, 2012

@ Feargus

Any talk with the developers about multi-player? I bring it up because I'm interested in the result,

personally it doesn't matter as long as the single player experience is the focus.

Fb profile picture.small
Vervain: Obsidian Order Warlord Prince on September 20, 2012

@Feargus
You should do it the way that the Reaper guys did their tiers. Pay whatever shipping is highest, your tiers'

shipping or the seperate shipping for the item.

That or list two prices, $20 for the $65 and above or $25 for the digital tiers. Obviously my pricing is

just an example.

@Sylrissa Pressure taken. :) And it should be, you are all trusting us to do something awesome and it's our

responsibility to do that. Ok, that sounded a little preachy - but you all know what I mean

Sylrissa Tormented Siren on September 20, 2012

I don't want this done any sooner then when it is finished, "it'll be out when it's done, and not before"

springs to mind.

Maybe I'm going little overboard, but I would hope that this game will become some beloved to be some childs

IWD/BG or planescape: torment in the future. Just as those games were for us growing up.

No pressure OE <3

Steven Well one of my long time friends from high school, who might have been he lead designer on a game

you probably all loved has been making card and board games for the last 10 years or so......

Steven Cameron on September 20, 2012

@Feargus

So we can expect a board game as well? :P

Andrew We definitely appreciate that.

Andrew That's a good point. We could have one price for Digital Tiers and another for not. Well then there

is International Shipping on top of that.... Maybe I need a publisher. :)

Vervain: Obsidian Order Warlord Prince on September 20, 2012

@Feargus. First of all, your name is awesome. Definitely not one you see very often.

I think offering a customised art print as part of a backer reward would be pretty cool. Basically picking a

race, subrace and class that will be offered in the game and getting a piece of art based on it, signed or

otherwise. At least, I know I'd like it, especially if it was to be a part of the $500 tier that I'm already

paying for.

Seriously though, art prints/posters are amazing, relatively cheap to produce and are a massive pull for a

lot of backers. Just ask Doublefine and Stoic.

BruceP - Sheriff of Phoenix Rising on September 20, 2012

@Feargus,
One thing that can get people to increase their pledge amounts a lot is add-ons. Do you guys have plans for

more? I've seen some campaigns with up to 3 t-shirt designs where people could add-on a shirt or shirts.

I've seen card decks as add-ons, mini figs, posters, print versions of books (rather than pdfs), dice

sets... Perhaps you could offer the cloth map as an add-on, and/or the patch (or patches).

@Feargus,
One thing that can get people to increase their pledge amounts a lot is add-ons. Do you guys have plans for

more? I've seen some campaigns with up to 3 t-shirt designs where people could add-on a shirt or shirts.

I've seen card decks as add-ons, mini figs, posters, print versions of books (rather than pdfs), dice

sets... Perhaps you could offer the cloth map as an add-on, and/or the patch (or patches).

Steven Absolutely. After Kickstarter and the game is farther into development, we really want to look at

what we can do with the world.

@Feargus

Bioware published some Dragon Age novels when they originally launched their game. Have you ever thought

about merchandising Project Eternity to some extent?

@fredgiblet Wheel of Time.... We do have a relationship with Red Eagle Games, however we are not actively

working on a game for them. While we have talked a lot in the last three years or so, no work has every been

done.

@OE

This is a little off of the usual. But what about the Wheel of Time game? According to The Wiki you'll be

finishing South Park and you still have Wheel of Time going on next year. Is that even still a thing? If yes

is that goign to cause any problems with staffing for three games?

@Anaeme The quick answer is I don't think so. We want to have about 18 months as of now to finish the game

and we don't want to rush it.

Anaeme on September 20, 2012

@ Feargus

Is it possible the game can show up earlier than 2014?

Steven Don't worry about it all. Anything on the internet is fair game.

I feel partly responsible asking Feargus the question about publishers. It seems to be blown way out of

proportion.

@fredgiblet What I said was true, but, to be honest, I'm not sure what I want people to take away from it.

Should Kickstarter not allow publishers to use it - no, that's not really fair. And, I think that any great

project which could be funded by Kickstarter should be funded.

@fredgiblet I wasn't expecting it to make it's way to the whole internet. :)

Sept 19th (Roughly)

@Damien We will be earning money from sales of the game at the time, so on top of already planning to make

sure we will have people to update the game - we will have sales to support it as well.

Damien on September 20, 2012

You rock Obsidian. NWN2 is one of my wife & I's favourite games.

Anyway, a question: Once the game is released will you still be supporting the game with patches for bug

fixes? Patching would cost money to implement, I assume, so where would that money come from if the

Kickstarter funds are used up?

Have a great day all. :)

@Raedwulf Understood. We are trying to figure it out.

Raedwulf, the grave robber on September 20, 2012

@Obsidian

Well, translating isn't cheap. On the other hand, you will loose funds from backers or would-be-backers who

do not speak english very well.

For example, I'll probably reduce my pledge if we do not get local language support just because the

additional digital download copies become worthless for me, as neither family nor friends speak english

well.

@Kramerica We are amazingly happy. We loved making games like that and having the chance to do it again is

awesome. As for a second wind for the company / industry - I think this is helping create a second model.

It's not a model that will replace the making of all games, but one that will allow the making of games like

this.

Kramerica on September 20, 2012

How does Obsidian feel about the positive reception for this project?

Is it like a second wind for the company and for the industry?

Andrew That is a pretty cool graphic and we have been checking out Bones and Dwarven Armies (?) as well.

@Ailia You might have read our minds. :)

Ailia on September 20, 2012

A digital beta tier below $140 would probably get quite a few people to pledge more.

@Bruce While I can't go into details, we have a solution. We just can't announce it.

Hey Feargus,
Any word yet on DRM-free support for Mac people? A Humble Store, perhaps? :)

@Hurri I spent about 3.5 hours with the journalist. He is thinking of splitting it into three or four

interviews. I don't have an ETA yet, but it sounded like he wanted to get it up soon.

Hurri on September 20, 2012

@OE How did that first in-person Press interview go? Can we expect to see it online soon? (If I didn't miss

it)

@fredgiblet I have been getting a lot of questions as well and, unfortunately, I don't have answers yet.

Translating potentially 400K words is not something that is going to come cheap.

@OE

I've seen a lot of questions today about multi-language support, do you have any more information about that

yet?

@Rodatam Absolutely and we should have something up soon. I'll be honest, re-working the stretch goals has

been a real challenge. We've look at lot at Reaper: Bones and saw what they did - but we don't have 931

miniatures to give away, so it makes our stretch goals harder. I think we are coming up with some great

ideas that we will be able to share soon.

Rodatam on September 20, 2012

Hello Feargus and good night!!

You guys should do a graphical version of the stretch goals and how close we are to achieving them, like the

guys at planetary annihilation did, people will get even more engaged with that =]

Creator Obsidian Entertainment on September 19, 2012

@Laurent We are thinking about an AMA early next week. We have a lot of stuff planned over the next few days

and want to make sure we keep some semblance of order. :)

Laurent Dumont on September 19, 2012

You guys should consider an Obsidian AMA on Reddit. Could easily reach the front page and bring a ton of

exposure.

Hopefully I won't get quoted for what I say tonight!

Hi Everyone, Feargus here, getting in here late tonight and probably only around an hour. I'll be here a lot

more tomorrow (or rather on Sep 20).

======================================

Letting everyone know we will be a little silent in the comments section for the next few hours.

We could talk about BOOYAH! :)

LordCrash - OD | OOoE | WoOS on September 19, 2012

Stop talking about ouya! This comment section should be about PE! ;)

Goodnight everyone, need to be up in 6AM (5 hours from now) to do a little coordination with an

announcement. Should be a fun day tomorrow! Oh, and we are going to have the first person from the press to

visit us in person to talk about Project Eternity. Thanks for all the support!

@Floyd I agree. My worry is where does the FTC start to get involved.

Nameless Knightshark on September 19, 2012

@Feargus
It would help if we'd have a similar system as Kickstarter, or even an upgrade to Kickstarter. But i see the

legal issues of course. The point would be that gamers would be the investors. I feel much more comfortable

making risk investments with some smaller part of my savings in a particular game that in some stocks. It's

simply a question of competence.Sure, this is not suitable to raise AAA funds, but it could double the

kickstarter money if say 1000 backers invest $1000+.

Obsidian logo ks.small

John Exactly the model that Josh is going for - well the latter and not the former.

John Zammit on September 19, 2012

@Obsidian:
Sorry if this has been asked already but can you make sure there are some options in terms of healers. I am

specifically thinking of Dragon Age where there was only really one obvious option for a healer if you

didn't make your main character one and she could be killed off before you got them in your party (as a mate

of mine did). Have you considered a more distributed healer model where healing is more a responsibility on

a per character basis as opposed to a specific class role?

@Floyd I think there is a possibility there, however the atmosphere for VC has been pretty bad over the last

few years. Also, games still feel like voodoo to a lot of people. I do think it will get better.

Nameless Knightshark on September 19, 2012

@ Obsidian/Feargus

A quick question. So we have the two models, publishers and kickstarter. What about the intermediate case to

fund slighly bigger projects, say $10M+. Aren't there possibilities to get additional funding via something

like venture capital where i can invest money and participate in the economic success/failure of the game?

This could make much sense for projects which target audience consists mainly of employed persons.

Obsidian logo ks.small

Peter That would be $123.6M please. :)
Obsidian logo ks.small

And a nice new Latest News header on the main page. :)

Peter on September 19, 2012

@Obsidian: Can we get 50 factions in the game then? ;)

Charles Factions and shades of gray - that's what it is all about.

@Ross You got me tonight - Feargus. We are really not sure about the modding side of things yet. We will try

to have more information out about that before the end of the campaign.

Obsidian logo ks.small

@Dablue We are thinking more like BG2, with the caveat that exploration is important so we are making sure

the areas have plenty of open-ness about them.

Obsidian logo ks.small

@Wes I have to admit that I have totally forgotten what Dimension Door did in IWD. And I'm the guy who

converted almost all the spells in IWD to the 3E versions for IWD2.

Obsidian logo ks.small

@Anaeme For a developer, it means you are not only working to make a game - which is hard. But, you have to

be able to work through all of the politics of your publisher. I know somethings have been said publicly by

us about Bethesda, however they are not political. They are still human, but they work very hard to make

games the focus and not the rest of the BS.

Obsidian logo ks.small

@Anaeme That's a whole host of questions. The best way I can answer it is that in actuality, almost everyone

I know at publisher is a great person. Heck, I was at a publisher for almost 12 years. The challenge for the

publishers is that they have a bunch of different departments that all have different goals and as a whole

they have a huge overhead (hundreds / thousands of people and office space) that they have to pay for every

day. So, that creates infighting and the success of one group comes at the expense of another.

Anaeme on September 19, 2012

@Feargus

Is there a chance the game will show up earlier than 2014?

What will it take to make that happen - Stretch Goal?

Goon.small
Anaeme on September 19, 2012

@Feargus

What is the most difficult issue developers have to deal with when Publishers are in the picture?

Imposed deadlines?
Creative independence?
Refusal to pay developers?

What is the most problematic issue

@fredgiblet I think they were trying, honestly, to be able to do something with us and they felt that was

the easiest way to do it. They would then not need to go get budget approved and deal with the challenge of

that. What I don't think they did was to think about our side of it and what they were really asking.

fredgiblet on September 19, 2012

@OE

Do you think they honestly thought is was a good deal for you or do you think they were hoping you were

dumb?

Obsidian logo ks.small

Steven As for games like this, I think they will consider it, however so many of them support traditional

distribution and sales forces that it's hard for them to consider games that would only ship digitally. It

then gets pushed to their digital divisions, who have very small budgets (less than $500K).

Steven We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a

Kickstarter. I said to them "So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the

Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don't get to keep the brand we

make and we only get a portion of the profits" They said, "Yes".

Steven Cameron on September 19, 2012

I meant to clarify, publishers don't mind losing money if devs go direct to Kickstarter, since they wouldn't

have funded these games anyway. Which doesn't seem to make business sense if they could make money from thse

games.

Steven Cameron on September 19, 2012

@ Feargus

With the popularity of Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, Double-Fine, etc. Do you think Publishers might look

at making games like these or are they too far gone? :P

It seems the publishers aim at multi-platform games which includes the console market. These Kickstarter

projects show there's a huge interest with PC gaming. Or is this market just too niche for the Publishers to

look at, so they're not concerned at losing money with these games?

Sept 18th (Roughly)

@Lukasz Absolutely on the price, we have gotten a lot of requests in messages about having a medium priced

digital tier ($55-ish) and a higher one (~$80-ish). Actually we've gotten requests for ones over $100 as

well. Trying to listen and figure out how to make them all make sense and be worth it.

@Raufgar Socks?

Raufgar on September 18, 2012

@Calvin, your comment, funny as it was, brings to mind The Golden Pantaloons and other weird misc items that

we can pick up in the BG series.

@Feargus, can we reasonably expect to see some outlandish, over the top items to grace our Inventory Screens

in PE? I vote for socks. You can never go wrong with a good pair of socks :D

Creator Obsidian Entertainment on September 18, 2012

matthew The Bioware Edmonton studio is very much alive and there are still people there from back in the

BG1 and BG2 days.

@Dablue Special histories are what we did in the IWD games, in particular, where we wrote unique histories

for the cool, more unique items that you can find in the game.

@Chad I can tell you personally what I think of romances. I like them when they are subtle and, this may

sound strange, but when I can ignore them. That's personal preference.

@Chad Sorry!!! Totally meant to respond and got sidetracked. Rob (Art Director) just sent me over some new

header art for updates. So romances. We are talking about them and seeing how we want to handle them. That's

not a great answer I know. I do think that if we get another writer on board that we are talking right now

(maybe an announcement soon on that) we will be able to talk about them more.

@Anaeme :) We spent a good amount of time talking about how we want to do a stretch goals. We really hope to

have something up in the next day or two. However, we have a ton of updates planned on top of that

throughout the week - we just zeroed in on the schedule.

@fredgiblet Too early to tel, but we are story guys, so I'm sure there will be at least some flair in there.

fredgiblet on September 18, 2012

@OE
It's probably to early to tell at this point, but are you planning on making the collector's book a

straightforward info dump, or more story-like like the manual to Arcanum? The manual for Arcanum was

awesome.

If I miss your question (I'm bouncing between things) don't hesitate to send a message.

We have spent a lot of time talking about being careful with adding in-game elements to the higher tiers and

leaving them out of the lower tiers. For instance, we had thought about recording twice the voice sets we

planned and then offering those in the CE. Regular versions would get the original amount. A lot of people

at OE felt that would be frowned on.

Sam Our goal would be more sublime with evil. I don't know if I've every actually used sublime and meant it

before. :) Josh and Avellone are great writers and believe in portraying evil in an interesting way rather

than the knocking grandma down and taking her money rather than helping across the street way. However,

there can be a place for that here and there as well.

@Ronnie Keller - Totally get you and the "role" part of Role Playing is about getting to be someone you are

not. So I think we will have your getting to play evil handled.

Ronnie - Vanguard of the Obsidian Order (deleted) on September 18, 2012

@Feargus
I didn`t mean being bad in a psychopatic kind of way. Being able to be taking-over-the-world-evil would be

fine with me. Playing good characters is rewarding, but sometimes it`s nice to be the opposite. Then it`s

real roleplaying. :)

Roxane Tourigny on September 18, 2012

Well, getting away from the publishers seems to be a very harmful process especially in the butt area, isn't

it?

@Angus The games are pretty different. Skyrim is really a first person RPG that feels a little like GTA. The

IE games are more about tactical combat and story. Now when it comes to lots of characters and deep RPG

systems - they have more in common.

Angus S on September 18, 2012

@Feargus as i have never played any of the games you guys have said you guys have made (i know they are

great games though) is this game along the lines of a kinda skyrim feel??? or is there another direction you

guys are trying to take

Adam We would love to make multiple games and we are pretty sure that the first PE game will be a success.

So, what we will probably do is launch another Kickstarter after PE is finished to fund the sequel. Getting

to move away from publishers is, well, it's hard to explain... :)

Dwarven%20avatar17.small
Adam Ridgway on September 18, 2012

@Feargus,
I loved how BG was really an epic story stretched over two games and two expansions. I also loved being able

to take my character from the goblin clubbing longbeard to the daemon destroying dwarven annihilator he was

by the end of Throne of Bhaal.

Is that something you would consider replicating for Eternity? i.e multiple games

Obsidian logo ks.small

@Ronnie Keller - Absolutely on the endings, we love doing them that way. As for really evil - that's hard to

answer. I don't know if we will go to cutting up children and storing them in your freezer level - but we

will let you be pretty not nice person.

If I could ask a question for everyone. We are working on a Digital Only Tier that is between the $65 and

$100 mark. Anyone have any suggestions for things to add in there? [This wouldn't be the only one]

Ronnie - Vanguard of the Obsidian Order (deleted) on September 18, 2012

@Feargus
Will it be possible to play a really evil character and to finish the game with him? Most of the times

because of storytelling it is not possible to play the real bad guys. Will there be many different endings

for the game?

And please finish the game in an epic BG2 like way. I love to read about the rest of the lives about my

characters.

@fredgiblet We were looking at their page earlier and Tim Cain has some friends at Uber, who he was chatting

back and forth with today.

fredgiblet on September 18, 2012

@OE

There's been a few people asking for PA-style multi-key pledges

@Chad Josh was the guy who got the whole deity system put into NWN2, so it's important to him.

Thank you everyone. You are awesome!

40K Backers! Rollin, rollin, rollin!

Sept 17th & 16th

Creator Obsidian Entertainment on September 17, 2012

@Bruce Nope, sorry - nothing on the engine just yet.
Obsidian logo ks.small

@elaner I've known the CDProjekt guys for a long time - so I'm biased. More seriously, and this is going to

sound lame, but I really do just like RPGs. Witcher 1 and 2 were good, but I also enjoyed the Mass Effects

Obsidian logo ks.small

doshu My preference is to always have a moving world - but one without time limits like the one in Fallout

1. Oh the 150 day limit ( think that was what it was). Someone's great idea that wasn't exactly communicated

to everyone.
Obsidian logo ks.small

@Anaeme We have been talking about it for about two and a half years. I talk a bit about it in the

Gamebanshee interview, where Jon asked me why we didn't make a more traditional RPG instead of all the big

console games. I didn't have a great answer for him and it got me thinking. From there we started tossing

ideas around. Then when Double Fine and inXile did so well, we thought - why not us?
Obsidian logo ks.small

Hi everyone - I will try to answer questions as they come up. However, I'm working to get through all the

private messages as well. And, also getting through my InBox of 600 e-mails. I know, poor Feargus. :) What I

wanted to say is, if you don't get your questions answered, please send a message.

To be honest it has been a while since I've played WoW. I do jump back in every once in a while though. More

recently I finished Mass Effect 3 about a month ago, been playing a bit more Skyrim (trying a mage) and

played a few hours of Dragon's Dogma weekend before last.

Obsidian logo ks.small

On the dwarves comments - I'm actually one of the traditionalists. That's me speaking personally. I usually

always play dwarves - D&D, WoW, LotR (PnP), etc...
Dwarven%20avatar17.small
Adam Ridgway on September 17, 2012

And canes and tops hats, if possible.
Obsidian logo ks.small

Orcs and monocles huh?
==============================================

I'm off to bed, but we will have more updates tomorrow. And, more details when I can wring them out of the

designers. :) Thanks again for all the support! -Feargus

@Dablue Hoping to release more specific info soon. I'm only the CEO and telling designers to release things

isn't always in my power. :)

@Indoclone That's the plan - all the way.

@Indoclone That's the plan - all the way.

Indoclone on September 17, 2012

@Obsidian, I owned all your games despite the bad and good reviews. This time there is no publisher to blame

if the game comes out mediocre, so please proof those reviewers wrong. Make us proud as old school RPG

supporters.

I think you'll find that this game will get tested very well. We control the testing this time around and we

are not going to ship until the game is solid.
Creator Obsidian Entertainment on September 16, 2012

@SFG - Hard to explain in a comment, but I'll try. A port of the game depends on the what the technology you

are using already supports. It still means interface art, testing and a bunch of other things - but if the

technology is already there it is much more incremental. A new race can be very complicated, for instance

something like a gnome which doesn't use a human ratio of proportions can cause a lot of work - all new

animations, all new art and you have to deal with things like whether you make a whole new set of weapons

that work correctly for them. A short bow might work fine for larger people, but a short bow for a gnome

might not. Things like that.

Thanks for all the support everyone. After answering messages for the past seven hours, I am going to get

some food. Possibly even pudding. :)

Free pudding?

Crabby on September 16, 2012

I demand free healthcare.

Pudding is good.

fredgiblet on September 16, 2012

@Chad

Yodeling nude while smearing myself with pudding IS my best behavior!

Hi everyone - I've been going through all the messages people have been sending. Great to see everyone's

thoughts and we have been talking a lot more about the stretch goals as well.

Last edited:
Then lift your hand, put on your big boy pants, and do something about it. Did I say "crude text file" or did I say "I want to waste my life to do what you won't" ?? Just my thoughts.

Exactly

Edit: Ok, so some people might be a little confused. Let me break it down for you:

• Let me just say that some people would suck a dick right now to read more about Project Eternity. We'll get to that later.

• About all this--It's pretty simple, as I said in my first post, it's "for science." I'm basically contributing source code, and some people on the internet think "Hey! Why don't I tell this guy to do what I want!" To which I point out how horrendously inconsiderate that sounds. Then someone else says "Ha! Then I, lord of all smart things to say, will tell you I won't read it! Then you'll have to do what I want!" To which I agree, as in "I know exactly how much of your stupid shit I should do: none of it. So don't read it."

• Now, a lot of people love hearing about Project Eternity from the staff members themselves. I, personally, don't do cocaine, but would suck a dick to hear more from Tim Cain. And I would definitely suck Tim Cain's dick to hear more from Tim Cain. So in my limited spare time I decided to do something somewhat productive for fans of Obsidian, and save the original dialogues between Obsidian and their Kickstarter backers (and, as we see here, I enjoy pointing out stupidity more than obeying it in my free time as well.)

• Now maybe you haven't sucked a lot of dicks. I know I haven't. But if you did, you'd know that your propensity to suck dicks, makes other, stupid moronic people, think that you should do what they enjoy, even if you never mention you want to do that, and then say you're never going to.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why are you doing this?

Perhaps he's looking for promises that were broken and other embarrassing exchanges.

There are bound to be some since Feargus was pretty clueless about the game during the Kickstarter.

Nice Jaesun. I just checked and these comments are not in that thread anywhere in the first 3-4 pages. I'll probably pm that moderator to see if he wants to add it.

Can you read, Nikolokolus? It's obvious you can feel what you want. Can you add something to the table when you speak? That would be less of a waste of everyone's time, including yours.

Tigranes

Arcane
I haven't updated that in like two years, and sadly there's way too much to catch up now. And I can't copy and paste what's in this thread, so...

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
It would be a lot easier to read if you just took screenshots, because that would preserve formatting. Just sayin.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why are you doing this?

Perhaps he's looking for promises that were broken and other embarrassing exchanges.

There are bound to be some since Feargus was pretty clueless about the game during the Kickstarter.
My favorites were when he'd get a little too relaxed and open and the next day game news sites had FEARGUS SAID A THING as their headlines and he'd be sheepish about it.

Also his befuddled reaction to backers calling him "Fergie."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom