Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview Pillars of Eternity Presentation at PAX South 2015

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Adam Brennecke; Brandon Adler; Chris Avellone; J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; Tim Cain

Brian Fargo isn't the only one visiting PAX South this weekend. A whole bunch of folks from Obsidian are also attending to promote Pillars of Eternity. Unlike the Bard's Tale IV announcement, this panel is being streamed, and it's about to start:

Pillars of Eternity with Obsidian Entertainment
    Did you miss games like Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, and Icewind Dale? We sure did and decided to do something about it! Join the design team at Obsidian Entertainment for a special preview and Q&A discussion of the wildly successful Kickstarter CRPG, Pillars of Eternity. Obsidian's RPG veterans: Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer, Tim Cain, Adam Brennecke, Brandon Adler, and Shane DeFreest will be on hand for a unique opportunity to celebrate this return to classic RPG game making.

PANELISTS:
    Shane DeFreest [Marketing Director, Obsidian Entertainment], Chris Avellone [Creative Director, Obsidian Entertainment], Brandon Adler [Producer, Obsidian Entertainment], Josh Sawyer [Project Director, Obsidian Entertainment], Adam Brennecke [Senior Programmer, Obsidian Entertainment], Tim Cain [Senior Programmer, Obsidian Entertainment]
    What a weekend!

Update: And it's over! The gameplay demonstration was pretty short - a well-choreographed, action-packed dungeon crawl. The real meat of the panel was the Q&A session, which was surprisingly entertaining and information. I recommend watching the whole thing.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It's on!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. norolimgender: ⚧ Savant

norolim
    Parrots:
    They tried so hard to make the combat music as similar to Baldur's Gate combat music as possible, that it's almost plagiarism.

EDIT: Well that wasn't very long.

^ Top  
  4. Volrathgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Volrath
    Parrots:
    That chanter party looked fucking awesome.

^ Top  
  5. Athelasgender: ⚧ Arcane

Athelas
    Parrots:
    The drake death animation where it leaps up into the air and comes crashing down is a thing of beauty.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. norolimgender: ⚧ Savant

norolim
    Parrots:
    They are talking about you Sensuki

^ Top  
  7. LarsWestergrengender: ⚧ Educated

LarsWestergren
    Parrots:
    Their "ph"s hurt my ears. Microphone too close?

^ Top  
  8. Grotesquegender: ⚧ Arcane

Grotesque
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    is there a copy?

^ Top  
  9. Sensukigender: ⚧ Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I think I was asleep. Didn't see it sorry.

^ Top  
  10. Crooked Beegender: ⚧ wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    This was a really good Q&A, color me surprised.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    It wasn't just you, they mentioned people modding the game already

^ Top  
  12. norolimgender: ⚧ Savant

norolim
    Parrots:
    They just mentioned ppl already doing UI and rules mods, when asked about modding. You didn't miss much.

^ Top  
  13. Sensukigender: ⚧ Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Bester did the UI mod :P, but yeah I think they meant Bester or "us" rather than me. I did do some earlier stuff with inventory slots, attributes and recovery time and stuff, which in comparison takes about 5 minutes if you know what you're doing.

They didn't say jack shit about assets though :argh: They haven't replied at all about supporting scene modding yet (meaning that if you make a custom item etc, it will be very very difficult to put into the game).

^ Top  
  14. LarsWestergrengender: ⚧ Educated

LarsWestergren
    Parrots:
    Wasn't that what the question was about, and they said they would look into it together with others after the game was launched?

^ Top  
  15. agrisgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    any archived stream?

^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Updated OP.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    seemed like friendly fire was off... the party members who ran across the wall of fire didn't lose hp.

^ Top  
  18. jdinatalegender: ⚧ I see black people...

jdinatale
    Parrots:
    Joshua Sawyer looks a lot less attractive with shaggy hair....he needs to shave that off.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Mrowakgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mrowak
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    Looks good. Even the latest beta became more enjoyable.

Kinda pity the party was overleveled. I wish we could see how actual encounters works with serious enemies.

Still, I am very excited for PoE again.

^ Top  
  20. jagged-jimmygender: ⚧ Prophet

jagged-jimmy
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    I am aware that the game might have "balancing" problems, but damn i am aroused right now. Looks awesome.

^ Top  
  21. Arsene Lupingender: ⚧ Novice

Arsene Lupin
    Parrots:
    Any way to watch this on Android?

^ Top  
  22. agrisgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    You guys weren't kidding, Brandon sucks!

^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  24. Bleed the Mangender: ⚧ Prophet Patron

Bleed the Man
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I have to wonder, what's the reason behind putting guys like Brennecke or Brandon (specially when Josh is there), that aren't very good at the game, when this things serve as advertisments, so you want the game to look as good as possible.

^ Top  
  25. Sensukigender: ⚧ Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    They were talking about making area art, not giving access to the actual area files that contain the actual characters/items/objects etc that are contained in a level.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)