Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity played by Josh Sawyer, live on Twitch!

Athelas

Arcane
I don’t want to speak for anyone else on the team or at Obsidian, but I like what I’ve played of them (BG and IWD, specifically). My main concern with the re-releases was balance
Gee, you don't say? :troll:

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nah, he's just very matter-of-fact. Nothing gets to him.

Unless you're referring to the person who asked the question, in which case, yes.
Yes, I was referring to the guy who asked the question.

I'm not a great advocate for political correctness, but if you have a legitimate question to someone, you simply can't do that if you don't want to be ignored (lucky for him Josh doesn't care much about that stuff). Also, the question itself was pure butthurt.

Nope.

Depends all on execution in my case. Which is why for me there are actually vast differences between Eternity and Forgotten Realms.

There are settings I'm less interested in, but thats inherently so. Also I do like more *out there* settings, but they have to be executed well too.

Pretentious *Originality for Originality's sake* holds no appeal to me.

Shevek Yeah, they did get rid of it recently.

Whoever said "originality for originality's sake."

You're putting words into my mouth. Someone had to come up with the lore for Lord of the Rings, too, which I doubt was "originality for originality's sake" at the time of invention. Someone could easily come up with a world as deep, without all the tropes, and still have a sufficient background to create an original lore. "Borrowing" is just as bad as trying to be "Original for Original's Sake."

That's where books like Gormenghast come into play, which was written at the same time as Lord of the Rings, yet holds none of the usual cliches.

As far as generic fantasy, sure, there are plenty of people that will eat fast food like hot cakes, too. That doesn't mean there isn't a market for Greek or Chinese cuisine.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Whoever said "originality for originality's sake."

You're putting words into my mouth. Someone had to come up with the lore for Lord of the Rings, too, which I doubt was "originality for originality's sake" at the time of invention. Someone could easily come up with a world as deep, without all the tropes, and still have a sufficient background to create an original lore. "Borrowing" is just as bad as trying to be "Original for Original's Sake."

That's where books like Gormenghast come into play, which was written at the same time as Lord of the Rings, yet holds none of the usual cliches.

As far as generic fantasy, sure, there are plenty of people that will eat fast food like hot cakes, too. That doesn't mean there isn't a market for Greek or Chinese cuisine.

Same

I don't even remotly get how you got to the conclusion that I somehow meant that a more *different* setting with good execution wouldn't be possible.
I was merely stating that settings that just try to be as out there as possible while giving no thought to actual depth and execution don't appeal to me.
And thats imo. I wasn't attacking you.

Its absolutly possible to unite both btw. Its hardly *easy* to pull off though. That takes something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom