Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity played by Josh Sawyer, live on Twitch!

jdinatale

Cipher
Nothing kills the immersion like looking down at the character portraits and seeing a character that looks like she belongs in a New York city ghetto. I'm half expecting her to turn out to be Tyler Perry in drag the entire video.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Jesus, when that creepy elf comes ogling you as you try to sleep... They could've just as well screamed HELLO ROMANCE CANDIDATE! LISTEN TO MY SAD AND TRAGIC PAST! And no option to strange the faggot right there... Oh well.

The game does look better now, getting BG flashbacks. And not always in positive ways... "ITS NOT WORKING! ITS NOT WORKING!"

The cities definitely need more ambience and NCP banter. NO-ONE HAS AS MANY FRIENDS AS THE MAN WITH MANY CHEESE!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jesus, when that creepy elf comes ogling you as you try to sleep... They could've just as well screamed HELLO ROMANCE CANDIDATE! LISTEN TO MY SAD AND TRAGIC PAST! And no option to strange the faggot right there... Oh well.

The game does look better now, getting BG flashbacks. And not always in positive ways... "ITS NOT WORKING! ITS NOT WORKING!"

The cities definitely need more ambience and NCP banter. NO-ONE HAS AS MANY FRIENDS AS THE MAN WITH MANY CHEESE!

There are no romances in this game.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Anyone else noticed recycled animations from other IE games? i'm almost sure i saw an npc with one of the walking animations from Planescape Torment.

maybe im just projecting

Starwars

Arcane
A few random notes:
  • What's up with the 3xHaste speed the party is sometimes running at?

There are toggles to both increase and decrease speed in-game. So if you're running over a map you've been too before you can activate the fast mode, and if you're struggling to follow what's happening in battle you can activate the slow-mo.

I think they're pretty nice additions.

Greatness

Cipher
Anyone else noticed recycled animations from other IE games? i'm almost sure i saw an npc with one of the walking animations from Planescape Torment.

The mouse cursor at least looks like it's taken almost directly from the baldur's gate series. I doubt they even have access to the actual assets from IE games though, they're just doing their best to imitate them. After all the whole selling point behind the game was that it's a modern version of the infinity engine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The mouse cursor at least looks like it's taken almost directly from the baldur's gate series. I doubt they even have access to the actual assets from IE games though, they're just doing their best to imitate them. After all the whole selling point behind the game was that it's a modern version of the infinity engine.

Actually, they have access to all the Icewind Dale series assets, which probably includes general IE stuff like that.

Last edited:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
yeah. they shouldn't even have to be selectable, just part of the scenery as you suggest. memory issue is probably only if they are actual actors with scripts attached or whatever. I know games have done this but I can't think of one from the top of my head.

We did that in AoD.

Turok

Erudite
If i remember well, in Baldur´s gate city's i always hear kids laugh and some gossip sounds and it make the city a little alive.

There is something weird when the group move, some lag or something also when the menus are open it feel like opening the menus of South Park game on the xbox 360, LAG.

Also there is something weird with the shadows, it make the characters fly all the time, misplaced.

Last edited:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Good points, although you haven't actually raised quite a few of them that I personally find really irritating.
Is there any point in writing huge wall-of-texts about things that I consider problematic?
Have they changed anything after your (previous) criticism?

Not really in the mood to waste my time if they aren't going to do anything to fix the problems that are highlighted.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
CyberWhale Tell me what you find irritating right here if you like

And yeah they have, not for everything though but some significant stuff that only I mentioned has made it in

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
The closer the release, the more people will suffer from fears of disaster. What if their only hope for Isometric RPG Renaissance will be a clusterfuck of bugs, bad mechanics, stupid story or other debacle? Like fans of some series waiting for the end and chanting "Don't fuck up the ending! Just don't fuck up the ending!"
I, for one, will be happy if the game will be only decent.

eremita

Savant
The more I see from this game, the more I like it. And I mean it in the "spiritual successor to IE games" way. I even come to like the class design, which I had a lot of problem before. I'm fucking around with Stor of Zehir again (probably addiction) and I can see many aspects from 3.5e tighten in PoE. For example, melee Rogue with Feint feat is basically a vulnerable damage dealing warrior. Dual wielding (strength focused) Ranger is probably the most brutal damage dealer in the game, yet also in no way a frontline fighter (tank). Sawyer just took those two builds, gave Ranger a bow so he's more distinct and put them in PoE (I'm not talking about multi-classing here so the parallels with PoE would be more obvious). And that's alright, cause that's what really set these classes apart from others in case of combat (sneak attacks, no dexterity requirements for dual wielding).

Last edited:

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The closer the release, the more people will suffer from fears of disaster. What if their only hope for Isometric RPG Renaissance will be a clusterfuck of bugs, bad mechanics, stupid story or other debacle? Like fans of some series waiting for the end and chanting "Don't fuck up the ending! Just don't fuck up the ending!"
I, for one, will be happy if the game will be only decent.
I'm not expecting a game without issues, but I would be very dissapointed if this doesn't end up being as good as MotB or New Vegas.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Dual Wield Ranger is better than a Bow Ranger in PE, even if there's no talents/abilities that directly support it. Ranged Ranger is absolute trash.

eremita

Savant
Dual Wield Ranger is better than a Bow Ranger in PE, even if there's no talents/abilities that directly support it. Ranged Ranger is absolute trash.
I wouldn't know cause I haven't played the game yet, but surely this wasn't devs intention. Ranger should have been one of the most effective damage dealing class.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
What is Shevek's opinion on this

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom